What's new

Something to look forward to

moevillini

the Chief Old D'oh
Contributor
coming up on Friday, the release of CHUCK - the last recording by Chuck Berry

58d02d0803882.image.jpg

here's a sample that was released shortly after his March 18 death at the age of 90, and it's his first album release since 1979!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHGxfsHSfDg

https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/kevin-johnson/chuck-berry-s-son-says-rock-star-dad-s-final/article_de5b50c3-2767-5575-b476-2287f81d6640.html

...“Chuck” ultimately had been 30 years in the works, with much of the time being consumed by Chuck Berry’s intense touring schedule. He faced another setback when his Wentzville recording studio burned down in 1989.

Gone were the tracks he’d been working on, as well as his recording equipment.

By 1991, the studio was rebuilt, and he began re-creating the lost work.

“He had to go back to square one,” Berry says. “It was him doing all the basics by himself, all his vocals, all his guitars, putting all the basics together and building from there.”

The album was recorded in several St. Louis-area studios, including Casa Del Torretta, Electropolis and at Blueberry Hill. Additional recording was done in Nashville, Tenn.

Many of the songs on the album were from analog tapes and had to be re-recorded. And Berry was constantly making improvements.

“A lot of this stuff started long before I was even in the band,” his son says.

Berry says there was never any doubt that “Chuck” would get finished. His father put his foot down in 2014 and told Themetta “it was time to get this record out” and that he needed help from her and his friend and Delmar Loop businessman Joe Edwards...

Chuck Berry’s grandson, Charles Berry III, is featured on guitar on “Lady B. Goode” and “Wonderful Woman.”

“This kid is really becoming a very good guitarist. This kid just ripped it,” Berry says of his son, who turns 23 on Sunday. “And the fact my son is playing on the record, and I’m playing on the record with my dad — I know from that perspective how proud my dad was of me.”

The eldest Berry is also accompanied on the album by his St. Louis-based band, which includes Charles Berry Jr., Ingrid Berry (vocals, harmonica), Jimmy Marsala (Chuck Berry’s bassist for 40 years), Robert Lohr (piano) and Keith Robinson (drums).

just something GOOD to anticipate -

good summertime music, that's for sure! :cool: