What's new

Sophomore year projection for Favors

Is this what we're talking about???

7503204-500

No this

8f6cd706-ea40-4f14-a88a-fff02b47831d.jpg

My expectation on favors is 9 points and 6 rebounds. Hayward 12 points. Kanter 5 points 4 rebounds per game.

my projection is that he should get plenty of sleep

seriously, this research out of Stanford is pretty interesting!

https://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2011/07/07/permission-to-sleep-in/

...With the additional pillow time, players dropped their average time on a routine sprinting drill (from the baseline to half court and back, then to the opposite baseline and back) to 15.5 seconds, from 16.2 seconds. Performance on free throws improved to 88%, from 79%. Three-point shots made jumped to 77% from 68%.

Basic reactions, gauged by having players push a button after spotting a stimulus on a screen, improved by 12%, and players were happier.

My expectation on favors is 9 points and 6 rebounds. Hayward 12 points. Kanter 5 points 4 rebounds per game.

Favors had 8.2 and 5.2 for us last year. He better ****ing have better than 9 and 6.

Unfortunately I think the lockout will really hurt someone like him. He seems like someone that just really needs court time. I suppose the same is true for any young player though.

Would like to see other colleges do like Calipari is at UK. He has invited all UK pros back to campus until the lockout is over. Offering no charge strength and conditioning in world class facilities, staying fresh playing against one another .. while working on college credits. John Wall (and others) has already signed up for classes.

*Before anyone else says it, yes, Calipari has already scheduled the elite recruits to visit while all our pros are on campus (soooooo shady). :)

I ran across this a day or two ago:
https://www.slcdunk.com/2011/6/29/2249160/peering-into-the-future-hayward-and-favors

Some interesting stuff. As near as I can make out, he's taking the rookie numbers and then inflating them based on how much more Hayward and Favors will be used in future years. Maybe not next year, but within a couple of years. This is assuming they DON'T improve, but just get more "usage". I believe he said that in addition to inflatings pts/etc due to a higher usage rate, actual players tend to also improve on assists and turnovers.

A couple of interesting notes:

Al's scoring efficiency has never improved from his rookie year. Only once has his true shooting percentage been better than during his second season. This is rare. Even for players whose true shooting percentage drops occasionally, they are more like Ronnie Brewer—whose TS% rose for a year, then went back to his rookie year level for a while before ultimately dropping below.

Would like to see other colleges do like Calipari is at UK. He has invited all UK pros back to campus until the lockout is over. Offering no charge strength and conditioning in world class facilities, staying fresh playing against one another .. while working on college credits. John Wall (and others) has already signed up for classes.

*Before anyone else says it, yes, Calipari has already scheduled the elite recruits to visit while all our pros are on campus (soooooo shady). :)

White Don King does it again.

I like to imagine Knight and Kanter running into one another and Kanter says something like, "remember how you played and excelled at every level every year, I haven't played real basketball in over two years, and I got picked #3 while you went #8? It's crazy, you know. I play toughness, you know."

White Don King does it again.

Have to admit it's smart though, right? I find it funny when rival fans claim he must be cheating .. how hard is it to understand that he has as many players in the NBA than any other TEAM? 3 out of the last 4 ROY. He does a damn good job of recruiting, preparing the kids for the NBA, and they perform to expectations.

/UKtalk

Have to admit it's smart though, right? I find it funny when rival fans claim he must be cheating .. how hard is it to understand that he has as many players in the NBA than any other TEAM? 3 out of the last 4 ROY. He does a damn good job of recruiting, preparing the kids for the NBA, and they perform to expectations.

/UKtalk

Oh, no doubt about it. I don't trust a word he says if it doesn't benefit him in some way (I'm not familiar with too many things he's said that don't meet that criteria in the first place), but yeah. He's doing a great job. Most college coaches don't have the pull or have romantic notions about college, and Cal has the pull and uses it to encourage kids to go one and done. That's how you'll get the best guys. If you can keep up with the turnover, then you're doing great.

Has to be a little frustrating if you're a UK fan though because freshmen led teams have little chance of winning a championship. There just isn't the time to develop the chemistry needed to win it all.

Having fun though, a lot. We'll win some more with Cal. Could explain why I am confident, but it's a Jazz forum, so ..

I can see around 13 PPG and 7 RPG for Favors at around 28 MPG...

At 28 mpg he better be rebounding better than that. More like 8.5/game. But I could live with the point production given the depth of our team, so long as it's at a solid fg percentage of say 52% or greater.

At 28 mpg he better be rebounding better than that. More like 8.5/game. But I could live with the point production given the depth of our team, so long as it's at a solid fg percentage of say 52% or greater.

I think our rebounding will improve, but I also believe there will be a dilution in rebound-average between the five big-men: Favors, Kanter, Millsap, Jefferson, & Okur (especially when Millsap plays the three).

The key with Favors is going to be his foul trouble. If he can stay on the floor he will be pretty effective.