What's new

Start Hayward

He is developing into a good player for sure and I think he does fit in to the starting offense pretty well with his passing, tenacious D and hustle. I don't know that it's a good idea to sit AK but I wouldn't mind seeing how he fills in the 2 for a couple of weeks.

Not quick enough to play the 2.

Junk the max abortion, send him back to Russia. I'll personally buy the airfare to make it happen. At least try and get us a serviceable 2. Start Hayward.

Agree with starting Hayward but I think I will consider sitting down Millsap instead of AK. AK playing the 4 can open up the floor. Personally I think Millsap is responsible for the slow start as much as anyone. He's not playing with the same energy as he did when he came off the bench.

Agree with starting Hayward but I think I will consider sitting down Millsap instead of AK. AK playing the 4 can open up the floor. Personally I think Millsap is responsible for the slow start as much as anyone. He's not playing with the same energy as he did when he came off the bench.

I would like the Jazz to give this a try. I don't know if AK is up to it, but it would be nice to add firepower to the bench and start someone who can actually shoot in the back court.

Really? Millsap? Are you sure about that? The slow starts of the Jazz have anything to do with BigAl's atricious, inefficient first half performances.AK is just inconsistent as anybody in the league and has not developed his game a bit since he got that contract.

This stats are provided from https://www.nba.com/jazz/features/locked_on_jazz.html . The data covers the season until 14 Dec.
Al Jefferson 1st half: %42.1......25 FTA
Al Jefferson 2nd half: %53.1......60 FTA

AK47 1st half: %39.8.......64 FTA
AK47 2nd half: %47.2.......44 FTA

Millsap 1st half: %55.5......43 FTA
Millsap 2nd half: %55.3.....73 FTA

If I remember correctly, a few days ago, Locke tweeted that the Jazz got outscored by 118 pts in 1st quarters when Al Jeff. is on the floor. The bottom line is, the Jazz, as a team executes poorly in first halves, and to start the games. The fact that both Millsap and BigAl play at similar areas on the court ,which greatly increases the importance of floor spacing and spreading, and AK's, CJ's and Bell's outside shooting is just inconsistent might be some major reasons of this problem. My Hat's off to Millsap for providing consistent effort and efficient numbers. I have always said Millsap's being undersized is a big problem for the Jazz team but he is the most consistent player so far this season. I would like to start the games with a big and more balanced frontcourt but I think it would be just unfair for Millsap to bring him off the bench once again because Jefferson and AK have been disappointing.

Yeah why not, start Hayward, kid's doing quite well and will hopefully only get better. Him or CJ actually. Hayward is more effective as an SF -- he's an NBA 3, not a 2. Same with CJ. Those two can split the 48 minutes at SF between them, whoever's doing well gets more.

And the Jazz FO must absolutely use the AK trade chip to make us better for the playoffs, either for a solid, not-just-a-Raja-Bell SG or a big to help with rebounding!/defense. Forget delusions of re-signing AK for many more years even at a discount.

Thought I would never say this, but I agree. The kid seems more comfortable, he passes well, and actually rebounds well too. His shot is getting better and hustles. No reason not to start him, something has to change.

Via Locke's twitter:

Last 8 games Gordon Hayward is shooting 49% is 5 of 13 from three, 16 of 19 from the line, has 21 rebs and 18 ast - Jazz are +23 with him in

He seems pretty comfortable with starters and seems to have learned and progressed within system quicker than I expected.

I could live with switching out Hayward for Bell. But I'm more interested in reducing Bell's role however we do it. The guy averages 30 minutes a night and he's our least productive wing player. At the very least his minutes need to be cut in half. If I was going to replace one guy in the starting unit it would be him. Either CJ or Hayward are better choices because both drive, both can pass the basketball, and both will facilitate the offense instead of just running around in it.

OMG Hayward is still such a huge liability on Defense. And after such limited flashes of decent offense you guys want him to start.

L O L

Just wow. But he looks like your friends from church, so let's support him eh?!

OMG Hayward is still such a huge liability on Defense. And after such limited flashes of decent offense you guys want him to start.

L O L

Just wow. But he looks like your friends from church, so let's support him eh?!

Hayward isn't any worse on defense than AK.

How many more times do we need to see AK driven on, backed down under the basket, or faked out? The kid has never seen a scouting report in his life. If he can't just steal the pass he's basically useless on defense. Poor fundamentals, no discipline, and rarely does he have an impact out there anymore.

I'd much rather have Hayward recognizing his weaknesses and just "try" and stay in front of his man and rotate well on defense than watch AK just completely destroyed. Just because he was once a good shotblocker 7 years ago doesn't mean he's a good defender TODAY.

The truth is: neither Bell nor Hayward played particularly well this year. When given a chance to play minutes, Hayward produced about as much as Raja did on a typical night. The difference is that Hayward is 20 years old and 14 years younger than Raja. Maybe giving him Raja's 30 mpg will not improve the team, certainly not initially, but it is certainly worth a shot. When a 34 year old guy is not doing much better than a 20 year old rookie (when given minutes), why not play a younger guy and hope he gets better? Raja's time as a starter is over. He can still be a serviceable player off the bench, play fewer minutes, and maybe last till the end of his contract, when he will be 37.