What's new

Stating where we stand versus elite teams: Big Al and Coach Q

silesian

2022 Prediction Contest Winner
I found it interesting that when coach Q made the factual statement that (in so many words) the the Jazz are not in the same league as the Thunder, it was met with general praise. When Big Al made a similar comment (also completely factual) about the Spurs back in 2012, he was widely criticized.

I think the main difference is contextual: (1) the current Jazz are building with hope for improvement and QS wants the Jazz to see "what good looks like" and aspire to this level of play. While the 2012 Jazz were stuck with an above average team and not much hope to take the next step without retooling the roster. (2) In the playoffs versus preseason.

Do you think there is more to it than that?

Coach Q's comments were said in a context of building whereas Big Al's were said while he was eating a Subway five dollar footlong. Nobody like to see somebody eating with their mouth full.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Coach Q's comments were said in a context of building whereas Big Al's were said while he was eating a Subway five dollar footlong. Nobody like to see somebody eating with their mouth full.

Given your member name and response, I assume you have some sort of eating obsession issues. : - )

Also the timing. You don't step on morale like that while the games are about to happen.

Last edited:
I found it interesting that when coach Q made the factual statement that (in so many words) the the Jazz are not in the same league as the Thunder, it was met with general praise. When Big Al made a similar comment (also completely factual) about the Spurs back in 2012, he was widely criticized.

I think the main difference is contextual: (1) the current Jazz are building with hope for improvement and QS wants the Jazz to see "what good looks like" and aspire to this level of play. While the 2012 Jazz were stuck with an above average team and not much hope to take the next step without retooling the roster. (2) In the playoffs versus preseason.

Do you think there is more to it than that?

I might be wrong here but wasn't Mr. Jefferson's statement made during the playoffs? I think it was before a game 4. Please advise if you still don't see a difference in both the timing and the contect of the statement.

Big Al spoke about The Spurs advancing when they hadn't eliminated Utah yet (they were up 3-0). A comment in poor form to say the least when you're supposed to be setting an example for a very young team.

As far as QS's comment I hadn't heard it until now - I hope he was directing that message up instead of down being OKC's payroll is 35+ mil more than Utah's. I mean what the hell do you expect?