What's new

Steve Ballmer: Genius Owner of the LA Clips

r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t

Contributor
In 2007, Steve Ballmer said:

Q: People get passionate when Apple comes out with something new — the iPhone; of course, the iPod. Is that something that you'd want them to feel about Microsoft?

A: It's sort of a funny question. Would I trade 96% of the market for 4% of the market? (Laughter.) I want to have products that appeal to everybody.

Now we'll get a chance to go through this again in phones and music players. There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get.

In the case of music, Apple got out early. They were the first to really recognize that you couldn't just think about the device and all the pieces separately. Bravo. Credit that to Steve (Jobs) and Apple. They did a nice job.

But it's not like we're at the end of the line of innovation that's going to come in the way people listen to music, watch videos, etc. I'll bet our ads will be less edgy. But my 85-year-old uncle probably will never own an iPod, and I hope we'll get him to own a Zune.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2007-04-29-ballmer-ceo-forum-usat_N.htm

No doubt he also predicted his $2 billion garbage LA Clippers team would win this series, no problem. What a dumbarse.

giphy.gif

Here's a prediction: Jazz bury these idiots tomorrow night and Chris, Blake, and Deandre will get a complimentary MS Zune at the locker room cleanout a week from today (assuming they don't rock the Zune already).

I dont think competitors usually make public predictions of their opponents winning. That'd be like if Hayward came out and said "Oh yeah, the Clippers are a great team, we are going to lose in 6".

lol it's a little ironic to hear people call someone who's earned billions of dollars in a business which almost wholly relies on ingenuity and intelligence a "dumbarse".

a little context:
ballmer graduated magna *** laude from Harvard University with a B.A. in applied mathematics before
attending Stanford law school, and joining microsoft as its 30th employee, where he helped the company grow to a nearly 500 billion dollar market cap. what a dumbarse.

Last edited:
lol it's a little ironic to hear people call someone who's earned billions of dollars in a business which almost wholly relies on ingenuity and intelligence a "dumbarse".

a little context:
ballmer graduated magna *** laude from Harvard University with a B.A. in applied mathematics before
attending Stanford law school, and joining microsoft as its 30th employee, where he helped the company grow to a nearly 500 billion dollar market cap. what a dumbarse.

Pretty sure ballmer drops his wallet on the table, metaphorically, and wins this argument without saying a word.

I'll spare you all my opinions of Ballmer as a CEO and (especially) Microsoft in general. I got a lot of issues there.

That being said, he seems like a decent guy to me that wears his heart on his sleeve sometimes. I was excited when he bought the Clips. I think he's good for the league. Time may prove me wrong. Maybe when he offers a front-loaded max deal to one of our free-agents, I'll change my tune.

Ballmer is alright by me. I was indifferent to him before I listened to that one episode on Bill Simmon's podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zB0aM8tB1Q

I think he's great for the league and is a decent owner.

Also, do we have any living or breathing mods on this site? Move this ***** to the appropriate area.

I'm just confused why an interview from the opposing owner, from 2007, and not basketball related is being posted?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Clippers owner misread the mid-2000s tech trends and consequently missed the boat on the next wave of computer evolution.

His miscalculation 10 years ago demonstrates what a bunch of losers the Clippers are.

Good thread OP.