What's new

Stock Picks

This man might know what he's talkin 'bout. Short the 30yr bond futures and you may get seriously paid. Playing with 2x ETFs like TBT will screw you long term, but can be OK if you get some luck with the timing. If you size a futures trade appropriately it will perform much better (altho most people can't trade futures in their 401k etc.)

If it wasn't for paying the interest and coupon, you could short the long and short double etfs and make money regardless of what happens to rates. These are terrible at tracking and lose in the long run.

Anything thoughts on Citi? I know the government wont be out of the company until February or so, but I've still been adding to my position on the dips. Hoping it will rise quickly once they are out or a possible buyback by citi happens towards the end. Anything around (under) $4 seems like a good long term (3 plus year) buy and hold. Not a lot of exposure to the mortgage mess, with nice global exposure.

Long term holder of appl, luk, dlb, mkl, atvi, c, wfmi, ipgp, cost

What's this trade under? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Are you an idiot?

Furthermore, any sane person who comes to a basketball forum looking for stock picks deserves to lose all their money and gain weight. At the very least you should prescribe to Motley Fool's valuation system. At the very ****ing least.

Are you a moron? I didn't say I was going to buy whatever someone recommended. I'd do at least a little due diligence. I was simply a little curious. And more importantly, I've seen every Seinfeld episode about 10 times each so way to belittle me. Way to pick up on the little sarcasm you freakin' hack. Maybe you had too much blood rush to your little brain when you were bent over picking up the soap. Or perhaps it was the subsequent little head of yours bashing into the tiled walls seconds later when "the sisters" inducted you into their club. Seriously, log out of your little life now.

Are you an idiot?

Furthermore, any sane person who comes to a basketball forum looking for stock picks deserves to lose all their money and gain weight. At the very least you should prescribe to Motley Fool's valuation system. At the very ****ing least.

Are you a moron? I didn't say I was going to buy whatever someone recommended. I'd do at least a little due diligence. I was simply a little curious. And more importantly, I've seen every Seinfeld episode about 10 times each so way to belittle me. Way to pick up on the little sarcasm you freakin' hack....

besides, it beats another new BYU and/or Utes thread

I just got into a strategy trading the Russel. The last 2 years since it was created it is averaging about 70,000 profit a year starting with a 10,000 dollar account. This month alone its up 6500.

I just got into a strategy trading the Russel. The last 2 years since it was created it is averaging about 70,000 profit a year starting with a 10,000 dollar account. This month alone its up 6500.

You might want to back test that in a little bit more of a statistically significant method than the last two years. Selective data mining is a common approach to selling trading strategies.

You might want to back test that in a little bit more of a statistically significant method than the last two years. Selective data mining is a common approach to selling trading strategies.

It was created two years ago and I have all the charts for that. But it only plays when it hits certain triggers, which is only a few times a month. How would I go about seeing how it would play the years before that? Without it taking a forever.

29n6mb8.jpg

But I would have to look at each individual day to see if it traded.

Yeah, I wasn't implying anything except that the extreme volatility of the last two years would have to help, compared with the more stable years I lined off.

Are you actually in the system right now and cashed the $6500? That's pretty solid if you are. I don't see how you would make 700% just trading the Rus though....but hey....if it works....it works. There really is no right way to trade the markets.

Yea but I havnt touched the money yet. I also share the account with a friend. When the account hits 20,000,(hopefully this month) then we will each have our own seperate account. Its actually two sepereate computer strategys running. One being a little higher risk and one being really conservative. They will only play a few times a month. Both playing short.

Anything thoughts on Citi? I know the government wont be out of the company until February or so, but I've still been adding to my position on the dips. Hoping it will rise quickly once they are out or a possible buyback by citi happens towards the end. Anything around (under) $4 seems like a good long term (3 plus year) buy and hold. Not a lot of exposure to the mortgage mess, with nice global exposure.

Long term holder of appl, luk, dlb, mkl, atvi, c, wfmi, ipgp, cost

Market cap peak was about 230 billion, 120 today after selling off pieces. I looked at it and said "nah" as it's less than a double back to it's bubbly high. There's not enough upside in a stock I cannot reasonably scrutinize/value without a multi-person team, if at all. If it hits $3 again I might give it a gamble. I'm sure it'll go up, but I just don't think it's worth my time.

I'm holding LUK too. It's enough of a hassle to keep straight. I don't need to add C.

One of the pains of being a securities lawyer is that I essentially have to play entirely blind and have others invest my money. Anything else virtually assures that I will be the target of an SEC investigation.

One of the pains of being a securities lawyer is that I essentially have to play entirely blind and have others invest my money. Anything else virtually assures that I will be the target of an SEC investigation.

Not telling you what to do or anything, but If there was ever a time for you to slip under the radar its probably now.

The SEC has bigger fish to fry with this whole Cam Newton situation.

Not telling you what to do or anything, but If there was ever a time for you to slip under the radar its probably now.

The SEC has bigger fish to fry with this whole Cam Newton situation.

So you're advising Kick to do something illegal? Nice.

Kick is your situation the way it is because of suspicion of insider trading?

I'm putting all my money in phone booths, this cellphone fad is is going to end sooner or later.

Kick is your situation the way it is because of suspicion of insider trading?

Yes.

Simply put I conceivably have access to a lot of non-pulic information. The vast majority of it I have never actually seen and have no reason to go looking for because it doesn't relate to anything I'm actually doing, but I have access to it and knowledge could be imputed to me.

Let's take an example. Company XYZ is considering purchasing a smaller company that will dramatically increase their profitability over the next 5 years. Company XYZ is a client of the firm and the negotiations, due diligence, and legal work are being handled by the transactional attorneys, who are physically located in an entirely different building than my office. During the negotiations, I puchase stock of Company XYZ without even knowing they're a firm client (we have literally hundreds of clients that I don't know about) and I make a big gain when the deal is announced. The SEC would look at the firm I work for, determine (correctly) that if I had done some poking around in the firm's computer file system I could have learned of the deal, and could decide to go after me for trading on material non-public information.

Lawyers get taken down on this pretty regularly, especially lawyers that operate in the securities field and thus "should know better."

I can get stung even if I don't actually have insider information and don't even know a stock I buy is through a firm client.

I got in hot water at work one time because I told my dad to buy stock in a particular company that was a firm client before I even worked at the firm. He sent an e-mail to my work account thanking me for a stock recommendation a couple years later (he made a lot of money) and that hit the firm's automatic sensor for potential insider trading.

In order to get around this I literally have to invest completely blindly, handing someone else my money and having them handle all the transactions while I give no input as to what companies I want to be part of the portfolio. It's a big disadvantage.

I have a lot of ideas; can't act on any of them or tell anybody else about them.