What's new

Stockton & Malone - The Art Of The Pick&Roll

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XLvqH9qoik

Repped. Always worth taking the time to watch those two do what they did best.

Considering how important executing and defending the Pick & Roll is to Quin Snyder's offensive and defensive philosophies, I'd be putting those two on the payroll as exclusive consultants and have them work with those kids until they know P&R inside and out.

The one at 1:28 shows the pure genius of Stockton (and Malone) in running this. Read it and make it work however they need to. Amazing.

Another thing I noticed watching this was that many of those heavy heavy picks set by Malone were actually created by the defender being SO laser-guided focused on keeping up with Stockton. You know the coach told them ahead of time to never let Stock out of their sight and stay with him no matter what it takes, and then they did and ran into the wall that was Malone.

Nice. I watched it all the way from 1984 (Stock only) to 2003, and I remember their greatness first hand, but it's fun to watch them run it over and over and over like this.

Was thinking how fun a game it would be to watch, 90's jazz vs. the spurs of a few years ago. Two teams that did it the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing I noticed watching this was that many of those heavy heavy picks set by Malone were actually created by the defender being SO laser-guided focused on keeping up with Stockton. You know the coach told them ahead of time to never let Stock out of their sight and stay with him no matter what it takes, and then they did and ran into the wall that was Malone.

That's what stood out to me as well.

We haven't seen a big set picks like that since... Well... Malone.

Favors and Kanter should watch this. Especially kanter.

Thanks that was fun to watch. They have executed p&r like two parts of one body that works perfectly with coordinative moves. This takes a lot of practice to achieve and I'm sure they had their share of p&r practices. If the Jazz had a playmaker and a power forward like that, they could try to rebuild this legendary performance. Kanter is the closest thing to perform like Malone considering their usage of physical strength and range, whereas Trey Burke could be a p&r passer and a shooter. But neither player had shown enough chemistry and especially Kanter enough BBIQ to execute that elite level of p&r. The p&r passer's ability to shoot and drive into the hoop alongside Malone's elite midrange is what made this duo incredibly successful.

Cp3 and west/Griffin
Dwill and Boozer (2007)
Nash and Amare
Westbrook and Perkins...

The best since, I see. But as good as S&M(tee hee), I can't see. You also have to account how huge a vajayjay players are now a days compared to back then. The slightest touch now is a foul, while those two were on the giving and receiving end of body slams night after night.

The best since, I see. But as good as S&M(tee hee), I can't see. You also have to account how huge a vajayjay players are now a days compared to back then. The slightest touch now is a foul, while those two were on the giving and receiving end of body slams night after night.

Dude you keep like making excuse. They change rules because for lawsuits. How you don't remember stadium brawl? Players they adjust to system you call stupid sissies this is not true. How you can say Lebron or Rose is week huh? How you can say this?

[size/HUGE] boobs [/size];903812 said:
Dude you keep like making excuse. They change rules because for lawsuits. How you don't remember stadium brawl? Players they adjust to system you call stupid sissies this is not true. How you can say Lebron or Rose is week huh? How you can say this?

Truly the worst alt ever. The combination of reading more into a statement than exists, and blatant pigeon holing the poster as something other than what he/she is makes you in a league of your own.

Troll on!

Purely curious... has any duo had it down better than those two since?

...not only has no duo done it better since....none did it better before, either! Actually, the fact of the matter is this: the two SMARTEST basketball players to ever play the game were Stockton and Malone! Malone is second on the all-time NBA career scoring list, with Kareem the only one ahead of him. No one is remotely close to catching either! Kobe has two chances.....none and none! Lebron would have a slim outside chance of catching Malone, but has to work TO hard to get his points and will be burnt out before he gets near to Malone's record. That effortless ease by which Malone got his points with Stockton as point guard put not only points on the board but also years on his career. Lebron is dealing with knot-heads getting him the ball...just won't be able to catch Malone. Stockton has two records that will never be broken....and the assist record testifies to his top notch basketball smarts.....second to none! If Ostertag didn't have hands of stone, Stockton would have another 1,000 assists to his resume and half the turnovers he ended up with, to boot!