What's new

Study done on whether preseason success is a predictor of regular season success

Seems like a bad indicator because it depends on who you play in the preseason. Are you playing veteran teams that aren't really trying, or young teams who are trying?

I think the Jazz are going to win about the same number of games as Phoenix and Denver, maybe even New Orleans.

Good post. Two years ago when the wheels fell off for the Kobe/Dwight Lakers, the Lakers were 0-8 in the pre-season. Everyone was saying, "Don't worry. It's just pre-season," but then it carried into the regular season and they were below .500 until the final month.

The Jazz are showing they can score points, share the ball, play defense and rack up rebounds. It bodes well.

I don't think its coincidence that many fans are noticing a different energy with this team. We are grasping at things like preseason records and other stats to substantiate what we are seeing as a significant change. I don't know that there is anything that can explain this through numbers at this point; but I think there is good reason to be excited for this season! There is desire, there is intensity, it feels like the next chapter in the book of the Jazz is here.

Will the Jazz win more than 23.5 games? Yes. Will preseason win% carryover into regular season. Absolutely not. Preseason is for coaches to evaluate the bench. Most of time they don't even work star players more than 25 minutes a game. The 1996 bulls that won 72 games in the regular season, if I'm not mistaken, lost a majority of their pre season games.