What's new

Suck It Conley Haters

I expected Conley to shoot better, both his 3 ball and his floater, but what didn’t expect was so much improvement in the other areas. He’s obviously not the quick ball handler or perimeter defender he used to be, but he’s really grinding and putting in effort every way he can.

His rebounding is the best in his career. His playmaking has been awesome. He puts in a lot of effort on defense and is creating a decent amount of turnovers with steals and charges.

He’s giving us so much more of everything. This is the approach I wish Donovan would take with his development. Donovan seems very focused on becoming a prolific scorer and ball handler, but he’s neglected the other areas of his game.

Hopefully Conley can teach Mitchell a thing or two about extending himself and maximizing all aspects of his game.

I’d like DM to take some notes on Mikes pace... Don seems to go one speed this year.

Mike has been great. I think he has improved literally everything from last year. I hope it’s not a contract year outlier because we gonna figure out a way to keep him if he plays this well.

I’d like DM to take some notes on Mikes pace... Don seems to go one speed this year.

Mike has been great. I think he has improved literally everything from last year. I hope it’s not a contract year outlier because we gonna figure out a way to keep him if he plays this well.

You know what’s most frustrating sometimes from Donovan’s game? NOT his missing shots or taking hard shots sometimes, but his disappearing almost completely when he’s not hitting (mostly) 3’s off the bounce. In the Nuggets game, I saw him pass the ball off multiple times even in the second half and only get it back with like 5 secs left on the shot clock.

We all know when shots aren’t going down, all players gotta start doing the other stuff with greater urgency and hustle, fighting over those screens, rebounding the basketball, getting deflections, and most importantly for Donovan IMO - be the engine on offense and attack the paint and/or kick it out and relocate for an open catch-and-shoot. Nobody else on the team is nearly as dynamic at breaking the FT line and drawing defenses like he can. I don’t know if it just takes too much energy, or he’s just deferring cuz he’s not on his game, but I see this as a problem if he’s gonna be the #1.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

You know what’s most frustrating sometimes from Donovan’s game? NOT his missing shots or taking hard shots sometimes, but his disappearing almost completely when he’s not hitting (mostly) 3’s off the bounce. In the Nuggets game, I saw him pass the ball off multiple times even in the second half and only get it back with like 5 secs left on the shot clock.

We all know when shots aren’t going down, all players gotta start doing the other stuff with greater urgency and hustle, fighting over those screens, rebounding the basketball, getting deflections, and most importantly for Donovan IMO - be the engine on offense and attack the paint and/or kick it out and relocate for an open catch-and-shoot. Nobody else on the team is nearly as dynamic at breaking the FT line and drawing defenses like he can. I don’t know if it just takes too much energy, or he’s just deferring cuz he’s not on his game, but I see this as a problem if he’s gonna be the #1.

I think even worse than disappearing he starts stagnating the offense and taking up the whole shot clock. I know Mitchell is probably thinking that he needs to help his team and that the way he helps his team is by scoring and making plays with the ball...but he can do so much more for this team. With all the other ball handling and scoring options, he can afford to put some energy into the other aspects of the game. Conley is 10 years older than him and he's extending himself even when he's playing well on offense.

I think even worse than disappearing he starts stagnating the offense and taking up the whole shot clock. I know Mitchell is probably thinking that he needs to help his team and that the way he helps his team is by scoring and making plays with the ball...but he can do so much more for this team. With all the other ball handling and scoring options, he can afford to put some energy into the other aspects of the game. Conley is 10 years older than him and he's extending himself even when he's playing well on offense.

Well I think he DOES need to make more plays with the ball when he’s not scoring. Not every drive will be a direct assist but driving and kicking is the easiest way to start the blender and create open shots for his teammates, and making them better. And I think we’ve all been disappointed with Mitchell’s defense - a guy with 10 years on him and -8in wingspan and -15lbs is way outplaying him on that end. Well at least we already gave him the automax with the player option.

Is it just my awful memory or did Kobe have a habit of “easing into games”?

Bunch of whiny idiots on Mitchell, shove it up yer asses. Sad he’s expected to be perfect up in here. For three ****ing years you idiots have built him up into some savior, and now you’re all turning on him, this is what Jazzfanz is now.

Best part of the (very obvious and predictable) Conley resurgence is that his DBPM is a .4, after so much bitching about he "destroyed" our defense and made it impossible for us to play Mitchell because "Backcourt too small" despite them both having freakish wingspans for their positions.

Best part of the (very obvious and predictable) Conley resurgence is that his DBPM is a .4, after so much bitching about he "destroyed" our defense and made it impossible for us to play Mitchell because "Backcourt too small" despite them both having freakish wingspans for their positions.
Conley was awful on defense last year. There’s no debating it.

I've noticed bigger effort from all three small guards on defense.

I definitely doubted Conley would bounce back but my heavens am I happy about it... Even if that means Cy gets to talk his ****. Hope this thread is bump worthy all damn year.

Conley is averaging 16.8 PPG, 6 APG, 4.2 RPG, 1.3 SPG while shooting his best ever from 3 (42.2%) on his most attempts per game from 3 ever (6.9) and second best percentage from the field (45.6%).

He is truly remarkable. Major LOL at all the haters getting even more mad and trying to justify why they hated him last year. Sure, you can call out a guy for being terrible but when you do it without considering the circumstances you will end up looking like a clown like a lot have.

Also, it is weird but a lot of the haters wanted to see him fail and loved using his as the scapegoat/punching bag.

We need to figure out a way to keep him going forward.

I've noticed bigger effort from all three small guards on defense.

I definitely doubted Conley would bounce back but my heavens am I happy about it... Even if that means Cy gets to talk his ****. Hope this thread is bump worthy all damn year.
Yep. Conley was a disappointment last year and a revelation this year. I would rather eat crow and win than be right and lose.

I don't know if its...
A. He is more comfortable
B. He is playing for a new deal
C. Both

I like what I'm seeing 14 games into the season.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Yep. Conley was a disappointment last year and a revelation this year. I would rather eat crow and win than be right and lose.

I don't know if its...
C. Both

It's both. But people also forget how atrocious Rubio was when he got here. It's not as easy of a plug and play at PG as some think.

I don't know if its...
C. Both

It's like Conley has a huge sample of being a great player or something. It's also like he ended the 2nd half of last season looking like the player he has always been.

Conley spent his entire career being the main ball-handler on a super slow paced, old-school style team that had dominant pick n pop or post bigs. The best scoring guard he ever played with was OJ Mayo (?).

He went to a screen dominate, your bigs only roll, your primary scorer is a ball-dominant 2-guard, and you are expected to get up 3's over mid-range shots type team. It's a huge adjustment, especially for a 32/33 year old.

It's like Conley has a huge sample of being a great player or something. It's also like he ended the 2nd half of last season looking like the player he has always been.
I'm very happy with the performances he has put in over 14 games this season. Last year, he just wasn't good. He had a respectable game or two in the playoffs, but he mostly sucked when we lost 3 straight to Denver.

People can say "I told you so" all they want about this year and I'll eat the crow if he keeps it up. There is no way to spin Conley had much value last year. We would have been better with Crowder.