What's new

Summer 2019 Roster Discussion

It is May 17, and as of right now, I think the wisest and most realistic free agent target is...

D'Angelo Russell

- he would represent a long term investment who could grow with Donovan to create a dynamic backcourt

- he would cost $27 million or maybe less which would be $5+ less than Conley, Kemba, Tobias, etc.

- I'm tired of "short term" PG fixes. Russell is 22 and we could lock down that position for the next 4-10 years

- he is friends with Donovan. That means something. It means even more now in today's game.

- lastly, I'm tired of trading 1st round picks. If we signed Russell, all we do is spend money we have been talking about spending. I don't want to trade another 1st for an old PG.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

How do you say Russell is our most realistic free agent? He is a RFA and unless Brooklyn lands some big name players, they are going to match whatever is offered to him.

Russell seems more like the fifth or sixth option. Normally when someone is that low, you don't get them. You need to pick three players to go after and close a deal on one of them.
5th or 6th best free agent option in all free agency would represent the best free agent we have ever signed in our franchise history.

Sure Brooklyn can match, but I'm hoping they find someone in free agency they like more. If they get Kyrie or KD or another, they will let Russell loose.

I'm curious about Exum. Why did we never hear about the play when he injured his knee (video of the play when he felt the pain). Web MD has the following after surgery for Torn Patellar Tendon after surgery:

"Full recovery can take from 6 months to a year. It depends on how healthy you were before and how much effort you put into the process."

If this is Exum's situation, we get him back in the second half of next season.

Are we hearing so little because everyone assumes that Exum is a lost cause?

I'm curious about Exum. Why did we never hear about the play when he injured his knee (video of the play when he felt the pain). Web MD has the following after surgery for Torn Patellar Tendon after surgery:

"Full recovery can take from 6 months to a year. It depends on how healthy you were before and how much effort you put into the process."

If this is Exum's situation, we get him back in the second half of next season.

Are we hearing so little because everyone assumes that Exum is a lost cause?
We don’t hear anything because the Jazz have dominion over the press here. Also because that contract is ~$30 million down the drain whether he’s healthy or not.

I think he fits better here since we have Gobert protecting the paint. Randle is such a great ball handler and hard worker. We really need to be considering him as PF option #2 behind Tobias.

I think he fits better here since we have Gobert protecting the paint. Randle is such a great ball handler and hard worker. We really need to be considering him as PF option #2 behind Tobias.

I think Randle is the kind of guy who has a lot of talent who does not make us any better, at all.

I'm down with randle. His attitude would fit in perfect I think. Amazing motor, coachable, great work ethic.
Most importantly, can efficiently put the ball in the basket often during a basketball game. Which is the number 1 thing the jazz should be looking for.

In fact, Tobias harris sucks on defense. So does randle.
Let's do a quick statistical comparison of the 2 players. (Per 36. Randle played about 5 minutes less per game)

Field goal percentage:
Randle: 52% (15 attempts per game)
Harris: 49% (16 attempts per game)
Slight edge randle

Three point percentage:
Randle: 34% (3 attempts per game)
Harris: 40% (5 attempts per game). This is the clear advantage for Harris and why he will get max money
Huge edge Harris

Free throws:
Randle: 73% (8 attempts per game)
Harris: 87% (4 attempts per game)
I give the slight edge to randle cause you can't make free throws if you aren't getting to the line.

Efg%:
Randle: 56%
Harris: 55%
Even

Rebounds:
Randle: 10 per game
Harris: 8 per game
Slight edge randle

Assists:
Randle: 4 per game
Harris: 3 per game
Slight edge randle

Points per game
Randle: 25 points per game
Harris: 21 points per game
Edge randle

Randle is 24 years old
Harris is 26 years old
Edge randle

Harris will be a max player. He will make what? 33 million per year or something? (I have no idea what his max is)

Randle will make what? 27 million per year or something? (I have no idea)
Edge randle

I would rather have Harris without a doubt. That three point shooting and his ball handling seals the deal.
But..... Getting randle wouldn't suck.

Edit: I would add that Harris had better coaching, system, teammates, and overall basketball organization situations than randle last year too.
Give randle better coaching, teammates, system, and less distractions and maybe he would be even better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
I would love Randle in Phoenix... that Ayton Randle interior defense would provide 4 easy wins for the Jazz every year. Add Devin Booker's **** defense and that team will give up 150 pts per game.

I don't mind the idea of Randle, but I don't think of him as a shooter at all. He can create with the ball in his hands and adds a different element, but his defense could sink us and I'm not sure his offense elevates us. I think he could improve his shooting but I'm not sure he'll ever be a good defender. He does work hard and he will be much cheaper than some of the options out there. I'm guessing he gets $13-18M per year over 3-4 years.

I don't think Phoenix has cap space though unless they renounce Oubre… who I think they want to keep?

I would love Randle in Phoenix... that Ayton Randle interior defense would provide 4 easy wins for the Jazz every year. Add Devin Booker's **** defense and that team will give up 150 pts per game.

I don't mind the idea of Randle, but I don't think of him as a shooter at all. He can create with the ball in his hands and adds a different element, but his defense could sink us and I'm not sure his offense elevates us. I think he could improve his shooting but I'm not sure he'll ever be a good defender. He does work hard and he will be much cheaper than some of the options out there. I'm guessing he gets $13-18M per year over 3-4 years.

I don't think Phoenix has cap space though unless they renounce Oubre… who I think they want to keep?
Is Harris a good defender? (I hear he sucks but I have no idea)

As for randle offensively.... I think the jazz should try to add someone who can put the ball in the hoop a lot and do it efficiently. I don't care what position they play or how they do it.

I don't see Randle as much of a fit in our offense.

I do admire the guy's work ethic and he has been in two really tough development environments... neither team has committed a lot of resources to player development. There are some things to like... I could talk myself into him at the right price. I think Quin could go into the lab and make him work. I just worry that he's too much of a defensive liability. He has the athleticism to be okay in that area but I'm not sure if its a discipline/desire/BBIQ issue.

If we got him around 12-14M and could address pg or sg with someone who was a shooter I'd feel fine about it.

Is Harris a good defender? (I hear he sucks but I have no idea)

As for randle offensively.... I think the jazz should try to add someone who can put the ball in the hoop a lot and do it efficiently. I don't care what position they play or how they do it.

Harris is adequate/average imo. Harris is an amazing fit offensively because he's great at the things we run and provides a lot of what we need.

I care how the player does it and so should you... you don't get style points, but guys with gravity that can work on and off ball make everyone else better too. Enes can put the ball in the basket efficiently too... not sure he makes a team better offensively though.

I don't see Randle as much of a fit in our offense.
I think Randle fits incredibly well in our offense. We need another ball handler. It hurts us when we get bogged down because Gobert and Favors can't do anything but finish close.

Our pass to a player in motion offense would work for Randle. Getting him off a screen with a head full of steam is a nightmare for opposing defenses. He can finish, pitch out for 3 or lob to Gobert.

At 24, he is a long term fit at a position where we need more offense since Gobert is so limited.

Phoenix has no cap space unless they renounce Oubre… I just looked at the numbers... wonder if they move TJ Warren or Josh Jackson's money.

I mean if we struck out in other places and added Randle and a shooter, and maybe made a trade or something, sure. I'll get excited. I'm firmly on the "I want to try something new" wagon.