What's new

Summer League Jazz vs. Memphis

Yeah, I know it's just one game (and one very painful game to watch at that), but since we're all Jazz scouts, we are supposed to be making observations based on this one game. I don't think anyone here truly believes one game defines any of these players, but we're all tuning in looking for a glimmer of promise. All three of the 2nd rounders showed some glimmer of promise, and all of them made questionable decisions and executed poorly at times. Brantley definitely had the best game of the three, but each of JWF and Oni had flashes as well. Based on one game, it is certainly possible none of these guys will crack the Jazz lineup, but it is also possible we'll see 2-3 of them on the 15-man.

Yeah, Bradley has slimmed down and looks to be in better shape, but he absolutely was not drafted for his athleticism: he was drafted to take advantage of his rebounding chops and defensive capabilities (his ORB% was No. 1 in the NCAA as a freshman, and his NetRtg was a whopping +31.5). I have heard multiple experts suggest that rebounds, steals, and assists are the college stats that are the most likely predictors of NBA success, so it seems the Jazz were likely gambling that Bradley's rebounding prowess would translate into NBA success. I also believe it is possible the Jazz's success with Millsap (who some of you may recall led the NCAA in rebounding all three seasons he played at LaTech - and would have been a favorite to win the title again had he stayed his senior season) may have contributed to the Jazz taking a chance on a developing rebounding machine. I also have to wonder if having fellow Tar Heel Ed Davis in the fold as a potential mentor will expedite young Bradley's progress.

My wife agrees with that lol she can't stand his voice when I blast his podcasts on my phone

Locke is a guy that I swear would do poorly here in new york. Tony Jones is 1,000,000x better at his job imo. If there was ever an 'out of towner' who's shtick wasn't gonna work here, it's locke. he's just so green! it's truly a wet behind the ears vibe i get from him..

I feel for your wife for having to listen to those podcasts but he is more of a podcast type of guy on a microphone it sounds to me, not really for live tv...

he genuinely seemed to be annoying boler and thurl last night by insisting to get the last word in on some absurd point he made and backed up with balderdash.

I really think the tone on NBA broadcasts for summerleauge is all wrong sans the playoff game big tourney.

Instead of having stooges like Locke blather on, I say tell the play-by-play and analysts to take the game semi serious ---- how about this --- TALK ABOUT THE PLAYERS!!!! Talk about the process of summer league and how quickly things work... ppl dont wanna hear locke... PPL wanna hear about the players and why their teams might have chosen them for further evaluations...

They really should say almost liek these are college all-star games, mixed with vets and international players and everything in between, explain the perils of how quicikly everything came together, but then move forward and get on with the show. the coverage often drags to a crawl pace, meanwhile u see guys right like Marques Bolden, there's players buried on depth chasrts that make it to these games and FINALLLY after all these years show what they can do on a team other than their college squad... So many good storylines get by-passed, and for what?????? for Locke to talk about crazy hypotheticals and then end his arguments trying to sit on a fence and say **** like who really knows and hten point out outliers to defeat his argument, i dont get it.

Didn't look promising for JWF. Looked overwhelmed and nervous at the difference in level of competition. Having said that, Trae Young, in SL, looked like a guy who wouldn't make an NBA roster if he didn't have a guaranteed contract. It will be interesting to see how JWF comes out tonight.
Remember how bad Trey Burke looked in Summer League? But then he settled down and … never mind.