What's new

Summer League Notes And Discussion

And I dont think all the upgrades they are doing are all that functional in terms of the level of training that will be possible. I think it's more focused on just making things nicer for the players, like the level of convenience and comfort.

The Jazz work w/ P3. I'm sure their training staff works w/ the people at P3 and they give them the workouts they want players to do. Utah sends a skills trainer and fitness trainer to travel w/ every player. Bryant worked w/ Hayward, he isn't going to be put in "charge" of the Jazz's training facilities, he isn't a physical trainer. He works under Snyder as an assistant coach. Whoever the Jazz's head physical trainer is in charge of that.

They go to P3, do the testing, then the staff at P3 relays the information to the player and training staff so they can tailor a workout program to individual players.
Mostly I wish the Jazz would get a good strength and conditioning coach and implement their own sports performance. It's great they use P3 but they could do better. Their strength coach is very old school.

The reason they do stuff outside is because P3 can work with the players all off season when the Jazz might not be able to work with them.

Mostly I wish the Jazz would get a good strength and conditioning coach and implement their own sports performance. It's great they use P3 but they could do better. Their strength coach is very old school.

The reason they do stuff outside is because P3 can work with the players all off season when the Jazz might not be able to work with them.

I think that might be part of the reason, but I think a big reason is that it's somewhere they can send them that isn't Utah. If you want to keep players happy in Utah, you don't force them to stay in Utah all off-season.

And they got a new head strength trainer. They promoted the guy who use to be the head to the director of sports science. The head trainer is really young.

I think that might be part of the reason, but I think a big reason is that it's somewhere they can send them that isn't Utah. If you want to keep players happy in Utah, you don't force them to stay in Utah all off-season.
That is probably reasonable. I just want them to do a better job with players here, when they are in town. That would require upgrading the staff a bit.

And I dont think all the upgrades they are doing are all that functional in terms of the level of training that will be possible. I think it's more focused on just making things nicer for the players, like the level of convenience and comfort.
Probably right. However, Bryant does have a background in training.

From hiring blurb about Bryant in 2012:
The addition of Johnnie will help to further bolster our player development program,” said Utah Jazz Head Coach Tyrone Corbin. “We’ve been impressed with Johnnie’s offseason training of some of our players in the past, and we are pleased to officially make him a member of the Jazz family.

For the past three years Bryant has been operating Bryant Sports Academy, an intense and unique skill development program through which he has worked extensively with more than 125 athletes of various age groups to advance each player’s skill set through personalized workout sessions. Among the athletes he has worked with are numerous professional European players and several NBA players, including Jazz forward Paul Millsap.
So he had already been working with Millsap before he became a Jazz coach. And add Hayward to that list, of course. I don't think it's a stretch to believe a lot of players will be spending more time in Utah during the off-season, working with Bryant and the player development staff.

Probably right. However, Bryant does have a background in training.

From hiring blurb about Bryant in 2012:

So he had already been working with Millsap before he became a Jazz coach. And add Hayward to that list, of course. I don't think it's a stretch to believe a lot of players will be spending more time in Utah during the off-season, working with Bryant and the player development staff.

There is basketball skills training, which is what Bryant does, and then there is physical fitness training, which is something completely different (and which Bryant doesnt do).

There is basketball skills training, which is what Bryant does, and then there is physical fitness training, which is something completely different (and which Bryant doesnt do).
Agree with the distinction, although sometimes the two do intertwine. I can incorporate some physical fitness training into skills training and vice-versa.

Not at the NBA level they don't.

So if I want to get in better physical shape and I'm a basketball player, I train like a marathon runner, just like I would if I'm a defensive lineman in football, or a starting pitcher in baseball?

Different physical goals depending on what a player does. There are ABSOLUTELY physical fitness options one would choose that would enhance or detract from a player's skills in his/her sport. I could run marathons and that would increase my cardio, but might decrease muscle mass. Or I could incorporate weight lifting and concentrate on specific areas (lower body, upper body). Perhaps train like a volleyball player to increase jumping ability.

How about Rudy and a bunch of others boxing? Many players have taken dance lessons. Or yoga. All options that directly or indirectly are geared towards enhancing basketball skills.

So if I want to get in better physical shape and I'm a basketball player, I train like a marathon runner, just like I would if I'm a defensive lineman in football, or a starting pitcher in baseball?

Different physical goals depending on what a player does. There are ABSOLUTELY physical fitness options one would choose that would enhance or detract from a player's skills in his/her sport. I could run marathons and that would increase my cardio, but might decrease muscle mass. Or I could incorporate weight lifting and concentrate on specific areas (lower body, upper body). Perhaps train like a volleyball player to increase jumping ability.

How about Rudy and a bunch of others boxing? Many players have taken dance lessons. Or yoga. All options that directly or indirectly are geared towards enhancing basketball skills.

You are talking in circles.

On court training is not in the gym training. Please stop trying to say Johnnie Bryant is a strength and conditioning trainer when he is a basketball skills and development coach.

Bryant isn't the one in the weight room showing players what exercises to do. He is the one of the court showing you what drills to do.

You are talking in circles.

On court training is not in the gym training. Please stop trying to say Johnnie Bryant is a strength and conditioning trainer when he is a basketball skills and development coach.
We're just arguing different things. I never said Johnnie Bryant was a strength and conditioning trainer.

I'm just claiming that strength and conditioning is done in conjunction with skills and development. The two are interdependent. I have little doubt Bryant worked with Hayward on basketball skills and likely a different coach or outside trainer took over in the weight room.

What I AM claiming is that the entire program would have been coordinated very closely.

And that brings me back to my original point. The training facility (which Hayward helped designed) could be for players to be able to do both. Hayward stayed in Utah last summer to work with Bryant (and other strength and conditioning coaches). He was obviously able to increase muscle mass AND add to his skill set, both of which helped him to make another jump forward. Biggest difference, IMO, was his ability to absorb contact - even seek it out - and finish or get to the FT line.

Not at the NBA level they don't.
There are definitely distinct fields but they can and do overlap sometimes. Strength and conditioning coaches do sports specific training that incorporates skills training. Some do the sport specific training and take a more literal adaption. Others like me take it more general and focus on training the proper energy system, muscle types and so forth for the specific sport, which I think is better.

Sports performance coaches can work with people on drills and those things but the focus will be different. I take a lot of time working on specific movements from an athletes sport but I don't really focus on the skill I focus on the movement and do plyometric drills and other things to reenforce that motor patterning. For example with a football wide receiver I'll have them run routes over and over but we are working in the footwork and movement. Teaching them acceleration Sprint technique, max velocity Sprint technique, 1 step cuts, double cuts, etc. Its also a great time to look for weaknesses.

I don't think people really realize what the difference are between a lot of the coaches/jobs are. Head coach, Skills coach, strength and conditioning coach, sports performance coach, athletic trainer and so on are pretty different jobs. Although sports performance and strength and conditioning overlap and are sometimes interchangeable depending on the program.

We're just arguing different things. I never said Johnnie Bryant was a strength and conditioning trainer.

I'm just claiming that strength and conditioning is done in conjunction with skills and development. The two are interdependent. I have little doubt Bryant worked with Hayward on basketball skills and likely a different coach or outside trainer took over in the weight room.

What I AM claiming is that the entire program would have been coordinated very closely.

You said Utah is building something like P3(a strength and conditioning facility that tries to innovate) and that Bryant should be the head of it (which is currently Isaiah Wright's job).