What's new

Summer League Players

I don't believe they will even make an attempt at a roster until after the darft. They usually invite undrafted rookies as a part of the roster.

My guesses from the current roster would be Wesley Matthews, Kosta Koufos, Sundiata Gaines, and maybe Fesenko. I would also probably add our first and second round draft picks to that list. If our first round pick is a PF/C, I doubt that Fesenko will be there. Other than that, I have absolutely no idea. Sometimes I think that the front office simply chooses the rest of the guys out of a hat.

I have no link but I'm pretty sure Wes isn't playing in the summer league based on something I read and heard. Something about the number of minutes he played in the season and playoffs.

I don't think Fess can play in the summer league. Only rookies and 2nd year players can play.

Wait, maybe that is the rules for the D-League.

Ron Artest played summer league his first year in Sactown no?

Dont forget Othyus is playing for us. Wes is not. Logged too many minutes. I think including playoffs he may have played more minutes than Deron did his rookie year.

Since I doubt Marquez Haynes or Omar Samhan get drafted, hopefully they get invited.

Whoever gets drafted will be there, as should Koufos and Matthews. I don't know why the amount of minutes the previous year should automatically preclude involvement.

I doubt Matthews will play because he won't have a contract, and won't want to risk injury. If CJ wouldn't play, there is no way Matthews will play.

True (Re: Matthews' contract status).

I guess I somehow thought summer league was later than it actually is.

Deron only played the first game that summer. Just wanted to get a game in with him running the point. He totally dominated so they decided not to play him again.

With Matthews, they know what they got and there's no need for practice play, so no need for him to play in the summer. I also read in the Trib or Des that he likely will not play.

Of course, Fes, Koufos, Gaines, and Jeffers should play. Wondering about Fes though, him thinking he doesn't need to play. I think the Jazz should tell him he has to play or they won't give him a contract.

Fess and Matthews probably won't play- they don't have contracts. Gaines and Jeffers have partially guaranteed contracts so they will play. Koufos really needs to play to improve his confidence. And of course whoever we draft will play.

what about the usual suspects?

Kevin Kruger, Kevin Lynde, Hiram Walker....

aren't there a few others who seem to make encore performances?

Last edited:
what about the usual suspects?

Kevin Kruger, Kevin Lynde, Hiram Walker....

aren't there a few others who seem to make encore performances?
Former Utah State player Spencer Nelson usually makes an appearance.

Ross Siler reported that Matthews is not playing because of the contract situation and the Jazz told him he didn't need to. Fesenko isn't playing, again due to contract negotiations and he is playing for the Ukraine Nat'l team (cause that worked out so well last time).

Koufos said he will be there. I'm guessing Jeffers will, as well. Siler mentioned something about Gaines "New York attitude" rubbing quite a few people in the Jazz organization the wrong way, so who knows what will happen with him.