What's new

Summer League Thread

Again, you are arguing against nobody. Having terrible production in that French league with low usage doesn’t bode well for translating.
Just a reminder where this whole 20 page discussion started - with me saying that deanondraft's comments about French players being overrated based on 3 Bilal SL games were lazy and bad analysis.

Just a reminder where this whole 20 page discussion started - with me saying that deanondraft's comments about French players being overrated based on 3 Bilal SL games were lazy and bad analysis.

Dean’s comment was posted as a joke to Cy. Sorry you missed that.

you realize nobody is arguing he's not a great prospect because he's french, right?

the argument is that he played in a league - which happens to be the french league - that hasn't had a great history of guys hitting in the NBA...AND...that he wasn't that good in that particular league. not one person is arguing he's not a great prospect on the basis that he's french.

it's almost as if you're wanting that to be the argument so you can shoot it down - but at the end of the day all you've done is created a straw man.

You really should post more outside of draft threads. I really appreciate your posts when you do post.

Another great post here that hits the nail right on the head.

you realize nobody is arguing he's not a great prospect because he's french, right?

the argument is that he played in a league - which happens to be the french league - that hasn't had a great history of guys hitting in the NBA...AND...that he wasn't that good in that particular league. not one person is arguing he's not a great prospect on the basis that he's french.

it's almost as if you're wanting that to be the argument so you can shoot it down - but at the end of the day all you've done is created a straw man.
I mean this is literally where this whole thing started ... with deanondraft's comment that the lessons we should learn from Bilal's 3 SL games is that 1. French players are overrated and 2. trading down is better than trading up....

Both of those are HORRIFIC and lazy analysis.

It was always about their their "Frenchness" and whether or not that matters.

French prospects from that league*

Which again is a fair stance based on history. If Bilal played in college and put up this production nobody would talk about him and nobody would care that he’s French at all.

I mean... you seemed to support his assertion at the time. Maybe I misread it...

It’s not that they’re French that would be a ridiculous statement. It’s low usage low production prospects from that league that tend to bust. Most just happen to be French because it is a French league. If Bilal was from Germany playing in that league I would say the same thing.

I don't know much... but I know that based on my recent luck Bilal will go for 25 today in summer league today. All you degenerates should find out what the over/under is and pound the over. Your are welcome.

Saying that a prospect is bad because he is French or that a prospect is bad because he played in the French league is dumb.

I agree 100%. Bilal is a bad prospect because he’s not good and the league history is not on his side. Double whammy.

French prospects from that league*

Which again is a fair stance based on history. If Bilal played in college and put up this production nobody would talk about him and nobody would care that he’s French at all.
The problem is that we don't have access to a universe splitter so we can see what happens with that counterfactual where Bilal plays in college. We don't know what he would have done for Villanova or Florida or Arkansas... Maybe he's better and is given more responsibility... maybe he's even worse...

Saying that a prospect is bad because he is French or that a prospect is bad because he played in the French league is dumb.
agreed. and the opposite is equally true. yesterday some stupid talking head was saying that the euroleague is providing soo much better training than america now that foreign players are coming in much more skilled. uhm, horse patatoes. wembi is a giant human being that can actually dribble. hes not receiving better coaching. just judge people on themselves instead of sterotyping people.
just my 2 cents on bilal. incredible athlete that cant shot a jumper. if he ever learns to shoot look out. right now not so much.

I don't know much... but I know that based on my recent luck Bilal will go for 25 today in summer league today. All you degenerates should find out what the over/under is and pound the over. Your are welcome.
Well... then... then you would have really ****ed up with your analysis of Bilal. His whole career until this point would be null and void and everything that would matter would be that single game on a July afternoon.

The problem is that we don't have access to a universe splitter so we can see what happens with that counterfactual where Bilal plays in college. We don't know what he would have done for Villanova or Florida or Arkansas... Maybe he's better and is given more responsibility... maybe he's even worse...

That is true and we can go only based off of what he has done.

What? lol... I just ain't trying to squint to see things that aren't there but whatevs... its an educated guess. Its less educated than we might have with other players and he is a raw talent.

Call it what ever you want. He was not good enough to get a role where he could produce a lot... Its not BS lol... He is low production and I don't feel the need to prequalify it.
You're just being ignorant then. There was also a distinct change in Bilal's minutes/production after the start of the season.

If you put Keyonte on a French league team and he produced the way he did at Baylor, they would barely play him and he'd be shooting 35% from the field.

But would that make him an unworthy prospect all the sudden?