What's new

Talking Rotations and Free Agent Options

Qman

We have some flexibility this offseason. Here is a look at how some popular options might play out in our actual rotations.

Here are a couple of assumptions:
1. We are going to keep Exum in all circumstances
2. Any rookies we get this year won't break the rotation
3. Neto isn't likely to be back. His roster spot will go to rookies.
4. O'Neale has earned a rotation spot

First if roll it back, keep all of our optional players and retain Favors and Exum.

Rubio 32 / Exum 16
Mitchell 34 / Exum 6 / O'Neale 8
Ingles 30 / O'Neale 18
Favors 16 / Crowder 32
Gobert 32 / Favors 16

This is a very good defensive lineup. But we have severe shot creation limitations. We also have good depth at most positions with Sefolosha, Jerebko and Udoh.

Next if we manage to pry Bjelica away from Minnesota and let Favors go. We may need to cut Jerebko to free up enough money for Bjelica.

Rubio 32 / Exum 16
Ingles 30 / O'Neale 14 / Crowder 4
Crowder 24 / Bjelica 24
Gobert 32 / Udoh or Bradley 16

I think we are really going to miss Favors contribution as a back up center. But Bjelica's shooting and passing could improve our overall offensive abilities. I expect we would be nearly as good defensively and but slightly improved offensively.

The last option I consider was signing Jerami Grant. As an unrestricted FA we would have a better chance of signing him. We would have to let Favors go. But we could potentially keep everyone else.

Rubio 32 / Exum 16
Ingles 30 / O'Neale 18
Crowder 30 / Grant 14 / Sefolosha 4
Gobert 32 / Grant 16

Our backup lineups with Grant at the 5 and Exum at the 1 could potentially switch 1-5. I also believe in our player development to help Grant take another step forward. I see this lines as have the most long term potential. The real downside is we would be small team and vulnerable to offensive rebounding.

So which option would you pick? Or do you favor more change in the rotations? Other free agents?

I would definitely prefer to sign Bjelica over Jeremi Grant. Minnesota hasn't used Bjelica the right way but I think he could thrive in Quin's system. I'm not sold on Grants 3 point shooting, I'm not sure he's even as good of a shooter as Crowder.

I like all 3 options but all three options need a little more Burks to em

Thread title should be - Talking about the same stuff over here and need you to read my post.
This. Who the hell knows which players will be back. It's meaningless to talk about rotations outside of the fact that the 4 starters (Rubio, Ingles, Mitchell and Gobert) will all play ~ 34/per. Crowder and O'Neale will be key subs. Hopefully Exum too. Minutes for those three may all depend on how much each works on improving their shooting. My bet is on O'Neale improving the most.
So which option would you pick? Or do you favor more change in the rotations? Other free agents?
I like the option that has Paul George and Lebron James fighting over who gets to join the team. If both care about winning, the Jazz is the only team that will have some cap space to give them the opportunity. Houston, GS and Boston are maxed out. Well, I guess one can go to Philly and the other lands in Utah on a one-year deal so the following year Utah can sign him for 30m+.

Lebron has talked about wanting to play off ball more. We saw him embrace Donovan and what he said to him was kept private. As for George, there has to be the Durant effect. He saw he was no match for the Jazz and Ingles. So why not join the team instead of having to battle them (and lose) again?

Last edited:
I want Joe Harris and Mario Hezonja. If they can go after bjelica then him too.

I am hoping they can turn Burks into another 4. Maybe a snt for Parker using favors and Burks for Parker and dellavedova

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

Exum back in all circumstances? Homer much?

Projecting minutes is no more pointless than talking possible trades, draft picks, or free agents. In fact it can be helpful in identifying a direction to take. As currently constituted the Jazz are a top 3 team. The key is to identify the best possible solutions in the event of significant injury.

96 Guard minutes. Mitchell and Rubio 34 minutes leaves 28 minutes. 14 minutes each for Exum and O’Neil is fewer than they late capable of. Mitchell O’Neil and Exum will all improve from last year and Rubio might as well and will at least match his last half performance. This makes Burks Tradeable early or at deadline depending on what opportunities come Neto remains a solid 15th man at minimumish deal or not resigned.

96 minutes at forward. Ingles Crowder Favors and Thabo is more than enough
This makes Jerebko tradeable for future assets now or at deadline.

34 minutes for Rudy at center leaves 14 minutes. Trade Epke or Bradley for future assets if the opportunity arises or keep them as cheap contracts makes no diff.

Favors is the BEST AVAILABLE free agent and is a solid emergency replacement for Gobert. He is a must sign. Exum is almost guaranteed to return and is a defensive stopper.

This basically leaves Stockton to be replaced by the first round pick and I see greatest need as a playmaking guard. With this team as described the Jazz will win 53 to 55 games, maybe more. Jazz will be healthier, no longer lead by rookies, and will not have the NBAs toughest schedule. If DL can pull off a couple of bottom end trades for assets or to move up in draft and sign a couple more to similar quality players to team friendly deals this will be a great summer.

Last edited: