What's new

Team USA exhibition with Australia

I’m one who’s more skeptical about him making a massive jump in PPG. Not because he can’t. We’re adding a 20+ PPG scorer and a 18 PPG scorer. My official prediction was that he increased by like 0.4 PPG, but if there was a drop by a point or two, it would not surprise me.
Yeah I think the improved roster is going to impact him a little. You can see it here, this isn't a great roster but he has not got the ball near as much and he seems to need a pretty high usage rate to get in a rhythm and really do his thing. It's been pretty spotty so far with team USA when he's gotten the ball. The Jazz got the exact right guy in Conley to pair next to him I think. Mainly because I think it's still obvious it's Donovans team offensively, though will be to a lesser extent next season than the previous 2. I do wonder like when we're in a close game if it will be Donovan or Mike handling the ball.

I think it's good it wasn't someone like Kemba (not that he was a realistic option I know) because I think it would have ended up being Kembas team and I'm not sure how Donovan would have felt about that. I'm with you though, I think it will stay either exactly the same or may go down. Donovan will still have some huge nights I'm sure but he's going to have the ball less and with Conley and Bogey taking up shots who knows exactly what it will look like. It will be interesting to see for sure. Jazz look great on paper, I just hope it doesn't negatively impact Donovan and the way he needs to play to be successful, although I like the thought of Quin's offense and the tools he has now much more than what I've seen from Team USA so far. Donovans defense has been good, other than some times last night, with Team USA. But if the Jazz are going to win a title in the next 2 years it all kinda hinges on Donovan having that next step explosion. Jazz obviously believe he can and I do too for sure, but so far he's been good, but he hasn't looked really much different or that improved. He may take it up a notch when the actual tournament has started, idk how serious the US has taken these games really, and there's other ball dominant guys on this USA team that last night it just felt like it was keep away from Donovan at times.

Other teams have a handful of NBA players. The US has all NBA players. If you think others aren't intimidated by them, respect, or know they're the team to beat, you're an idiot.

Joe Harris and Plumlee >>> most of the players on other teams.

Other teams have a handful of NBA players. The US has all NBA players. If you think others aren't intimidated by them, respect, or know they're the team to beat, you're an idiot.

Joe Harris and Plumlee >>> most of the players on other teams.

Sorry dude take Plumlee out of that equation. He has looked like absolute junk here.

Yeah I think the improved roster is going to impact him a little. You can see it here, this isn't a great roster but he has not got the ball near as much and he seems to need a pretty high usage rate to get in a rhythm and really do his thing. It's been pretty spotty so far with team USA when he's gotten the ball. The Jazz got the exact right guy in Conley to pair next to him I think. Mainly because I think it's still obvious it's Donovans team offensively, though will be to a lesser extent next season than the previous 2. I do wonder like when we're in a close game if it will be Donovan or Mike handling the ball.

I think it's good it wasn't someone like Kemba (not that he was a realistic option I know) because I think it would have ended up being Kembas team and I'm not sure how Donovan would have felt about that. I'm with you though, I think it will stay either exactly the same or may go down. Donovan will still have some huge nights I'm sure but he's going to have the ball less and with Conley and Bogey taking up shots who knows exactly what it will look like. It will be interesting to see for sure. Jazz look great on paper, I just hope it doesn't negatively impact Donovan and the way he needs to play to be successful, although I like the thought of Quin's offense and the tools he has now much more than what I've seen from Team USA so far. Donovans defense has been good, other than some times last night, with Team USA. But if the Jazz are going to win a title in the next 2 years it all kinda hinges on Donovan having that next step explosion. Jazz obviously believe he can and I do too for sure, but so far he's been good, but he hasn't looked really much different or that improved. He may take it up a notch when the actual tournament has started, idk how serious the US has taken these games really, and there's other ball dominant guys on this USA team that last night it just felt like it was keep away from Donovan at times.
Donovan can make a huge jump without a scoring jump. Hopefully he understands that on a deeper level. If he can maintain scoring, and even reduce it, with a small efficiency boost, but really ramp up the defensive effort, it can put him into another eschelon. However, even though doing that will make him better and us better, it’s a delayed gratification. It would be somewhat antithetical to the perceived jump his brand would need. For the media hype machine to continue on him, it’d be about him ramping up that scoring average, but that would come at a long-term cost. He’s close to hitting the diminishing returns part of the curve on his scoring. His value to his team is much more dependent on other facets of his game — and ultimately that’s more beneficial for him, just not immediately.

In the short-term, Donovan forgoing those scoring efforts for legitimate defensive intensity will come somewhat at the cost of him continuing his current media trajectory (not a drop off, just maintaining his place as others arise around him).

In the long-run, doing so is what will historically include him in discussions amongst guys like Gary Payton, Chauncey Billups, Scottie Pippen or Manu Ginobili, rather than being considered amongst guys like Jason Richardson, Amare Stoudemire, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis or Stephon Marbury

The choice is his. The latter is better for the immediate expansion of his brand, but the former is much better for brand longevity and actual legacy (and if he’s wanting to win a championship).

Re-watching the game now, just realised 3 of our starting 5 are St Mary's products.

Donovan can make a huge jump without a scoring jump. Hopefully he understands that on a deeper level. If he can maintain scoring, and even reduce it, with a small efficiency boost, but really ramp up the defensive effort, it can put him into another eschelon. However, even though doing that will make him better and us better, it’s a delayed gratification. It would be somewhat antithetical to the perceived jump his brand would need. For the media hype machine to continue on him, it’d be about him ramping up that scoring average, but that would come at a long-term cost. He’s close to hitting the diminishing returns part of the curve on his scoring. His value to his team is much more dependent on other facets of his game — and ultimately that’s more beneficial for him, just not immediately.

In the short-term, Donovan forgoing those scoring efforts for legitimate defensive intensity will come somewhat at the cost of him continuing his current media trajectory (not a drop off, just maintaining his place as others arise around him).

In the long-run, doing so is what will historically include him in discussions amongst guys like Gary Payton, Chauncey Billups, Scottie Pippen or Manu Ginobili, rather than being considered amongst guys like Jason Richardson, Amare Stoudemire, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis or Stephon Marbury

The choice is his. The latter is better for the immediate expansion of his brand, but the former is much better for brand longevity and actual legacy (and if he’s wanting to win a championship).
I think his brand and legacy are both important. Obviously Rudys the one we really need to make the AS team this year, but it would be great to see Donovan make it as well. I agree with what you’re saying. I hope he takes a big leap and can get his points up a point or two but I think it’s going to be difficult.

Re-watching the game now, just realised 3 of our starting 5 are St Mary's products.

Bit slow there mental giant

Surprising how many good looks we got all game. USA defence has a lot of improvement to make if they want to win the world cup

78-1. The Bombers can enjoy their exhibition win against USA. USA basketball has been the most dominate force in sports over the last 50 + years. We are going to lose a game here and there. I wouldn't get too high on your horse until you beat the USA in a meaningful game.

78-1. The Bombers can enjoy their exhibition win against USA. USA basketball has been the most dominate force in sports over the last 50 + years. We are going to lose a game here and there. I wouldn't get too high on your horse until you beat the USA in a meaningful game.

The Bombers ?? They lost by 9 points on Friday night