What's new

The Debates

An aggressive Romney vs a passive Obama: Romney dominated the debate.

An aggressive Romney versus an aggressive Obama: The moderator cheated

An aggressive Obama vs a passive Romney: Romney looked presidential.

Lol, gotta love the fight wing spin doctors.

I think Obama dominated this debate. The facts were on his side, he was clearly the aggressor, he (correctly) called BS on Romney multiple times, he pointed out that Romney was way too wishy washy to be a world leader, and he had some great zingers too.

This is a fantastic over simplification of what they are saying but spin away.

I agree that Obama did win this debate. He had several good lines.

This is a fantastic over simplification of what they are saying but spin away.

I agree that Obama did win this debate. He had several good lines.

While I agree that he had some good lines, he was lacking in substance. He had no plan for the next four years and this really isn't going to help him with Independent voters. I think both had good lines. I think Romney pointing out the flexibility comment Obama made to Dmitry Medvedev was well received by those knowledgeable about that incident.

While I agree that he had some good lines, he was lacking in substance. He had no plan for the next four years and this really isn't going to help him with Independent voters. I think both had good lines. I think Romney pointing out the flexibility comment Obama made to Dmitry Medvedev was well received by those knowledgeable about that incident.

I think another good Romney line was when he said that attacking him was not a plan for the future.

No plan for the next 4 years? You mean I imagined all that getting out of Afghanistan stuff?

Say what you want about the economy, but the last 4 years have been pretty dang good from a foreign policy perspective.

We went from worldwide laughing stock, back to respected world leader. We went from humiliated and helpless to killing bin laden. We went from world's most hated to 10's of thousands marching in the streets of Libya to support us. We went from no credibility after Iraq to leading an Arab democratic revolution. And while all of that was going on, we actually started to take action against China.

What was Romney's plan for the future? All I saw him saying was basically "forget everything else I have said, from this point forward I will support all of Obama's policies when it comes to foreign affairs."

We went from no credibility after Iraq to leading an Arab democratic revolution.

We lead? & what of the theocracies being instituted? Is Shariah in Egypt what you mean by democracy?

And while all of that was going on, we actually started to take action against China.

Give Obama credit for his administration taking some actions in specific sectors (tires). You're blowing it way out of proportion if you think we've actually done much of anything. By most accounts, the Yen has actually weakened against the dollar in real terms (output adjustments), which was something Obama promised to protect against. We need action to protect all US industries from Chinese manipulation, not just those we can justify under WTO rules.

Regardless, macro issues will do more for onshoring jobs & repatriate foreign treasury holdings than any president or party can (outside drastic, destabilizing changes to the global economy anyway). It's starting to look like Japan's demographics might force them to lower dollar holdings to pay for their pensions.

We lead? & what of the theocracies being instituted? Is Shariah in Egypt what you mean by democracy?

If the people in Egypt vote for it then yes franklin, that is democracy. Democracy doesn't only exist when people vote in a government the united states wants, it exists when people vote for a government they want. I'm pretty sure salty was referring to Libya anyway.

If the people in Egypt vote for it then yes franklin, that is democracy. Democracy doesn't only exist when people vote in a government the united states wants, it exists when people vote for a government they want. I'm pretty sure salty was referring to Libya anyway.

You condone Shariah Law and believe this should be a promotional tool for the Obama campaign as Salty used it?

You condone Shariah Law and believe this should be a promotional tool for the Obama campaign as Salty used it?

I do not agree with Shariah but if that is what a populace votes into place then so be it. Freedom is freedom. E ven when they do something with it that we do not like.

I do not agree with Shariah but if that is what a populace votes into place then so be it. Freedom is freedom. E ven when they do something with it that we do not like.

Your concept of freedom is a little off kilter. Muslim majority voting in Muslim law over non-Muslim minority is not freedom. It is effectively a theocracy.
& I don't care if you support him or not, this is not something Obama should use as a campaign slogan. That's why it's coming from the mouths of radicals instead of from Obama.

Your concept of freedom is a little off kilter. Muslim majority voting in Muslim law over non-Muslim minority is not freedom. It is effectively a theocracy.
& I don't care if you support him or not, this is not something Obama should use as a campaign slogan. That's why it's coming from the mouths of radicals instead of from Obama.

I agree. However the people that lose the vote have other recourses. Like moving away.

Edit: Do you condone America going into everyplace that votes in a style of government that we do not like and installing one we do?

I see. So it's only a real democracy if the people vote the way you want them to. Got it.

Maybe they should start disenfranchising millions of voters with unnecessary laws so they can elect people that you approve of.

I don't agree with sharia law either. But if the people vote for it, who am I to tell them how to live?

I see. So it's only a real democracy if the people vote the way you want them to. Got it.

Maybe they should start disenfranchising millions of voters with unnecessary laws so they can elect people that you approve of.

I don't agree with sharia law either. But if the people vote for it, who am I to tell them how to live?

Ugh. You kill any points you try to make with crap like this.

So if the US votes to ban gay marriage that's all good because we voted for it, correct?

So if the US votes to ban gay marriage that's all good because we voted for it, correct?

I was wondering when this would come up. In my opinion no it is not right and I think it is something that we will fix at the ballot box. The tide is turning in favor of gay marriage. Not there yet but it is coming.

Personally I do not care what they vote for in Egypt. They had a chance. If they vote in an oppressive system then F them.

Here in America we have more fully realised ways of contesting majority votes. New votes, legal challenges...

At a bare minimum, in addition to elections a functioning democracy protects the rights of the minority. Iran is not a democracy, even though they have election. Egypt may or may not become a democracy, the mere existence of elections will not be the sole determinating factor.