What's new

The Ender's Game movie

AtheistPreacher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE

Argh. This looks disappointing. What a pity that this appears to be just another fairly pedestrian and surface-level Hollywood adaptation of a great book, all spectacle and no content. I'm particularly disappointed that they're using teenaged actors when the books are all about kids who are far younger. I think Ender was 6 at the beginning and 12 at the end. To me that was part of what made the book.

Anyway, I do not have high expectations for this movie at all, but I suppose if it gets even more people to read the book that it won't be all bad. Ender's Game and Watership Down are pretty much the only two books that I recommend unreservedly to anyone and everyone.

Impossible to make a cinematic adaption that approaches the same level as the book. Source material makes it impossible. That's why OSC spent 15+ years trying to write the screenplay, just doesn't work.

Impossible to make a cinematic adaption that approaches the same level as the book. Source material makes it impossible. That's why OSC spent 15+ years trying to write the screenplay, just doesn't work.

May I ask why?
I read the book in 7th grade, so my memory of it is bad.

BTW: Trailer looked really bad.

May I ask why?
I read the book in 7th grade, so my memory of it is bad.

BTW: Trailer looked really bad.

For those who haven't read the book, the main feature of the story is the psyche of a super-intelligent child as he grows from 6-12 in a space military school. Finding an actor, who appears young enough to pass as 6, that can demonstrate not only a superior level of intelligence, but the intense psychic progression that Ender takes is impossible. It's science-fiction for a reason, but the whole story is mind games.

trailer is created to appeal to a larger demographic
i'm sure though that like every adaptation it will be universally reviled by fans of the source material (whether or not that's justified remains to be seen)

One of my favorite books of all time. They better not screw this up, but it's impossible that it will live up to the book.

I have the audio book. Should I listen?

Id read it but dont wanna turn gay lol

You probably should listen to it as I know your reading skills aren't up to scratch.
It might make more sense to hear the words pronounced correctly.

oh, and turn?

Film adaptions of books usually end up being bad and too rushed.

You probably should listen to it as I know your reading skills aren't up to scratch.
It might make more sense to hear the words pronounced correctly.

oh, and turn?

This is UGLI we are talking about here. Perhaps listening to the Audio books made by Disney is more appropriate.