What's new

The Future of The Utah Jazz

First off let me say it great to have Jazzfanz back!!!
Well ever since the Jazz were swept by the LateWhores I've been thinking about what the Jazz need to do to win that championship. At first I was hoping that the Knicks pick would turn into a top 3 pick. That didn't happen. So lets address what i feel the Jazz need to improve on to get over the hump. I believe there are three main areas the Jazz need to improve on.
1. A Scorer on the wings
2. A true second scorer
3. Size and Length

1. If you look at every team in the conference finals they all have 1 thing in common...a SG/SF who can drop 20 on a team any game (LateWhores-Kobe, Celtics-Pierce and Allen, Magic-Carter and Lewis, and Suns-Richardson) Let's face it the Jazz don't have one wing who can go for 20. Our best game against the Latewhores was when Korver had the game of his life. I think Matthews and Miles are great role players who can occasionally have a big game. The Jazz need a wing who can consistently have a big game. Guys I would like the Jazz try to get is Danny Granger, Andre Igudula, or any other decent wing player.

2. If we solve problem one this one would be kind of solved if the Jazz bring back Boozer. But if you really look at the Jazz the other thing we are missing is an elite second banana to DWill's first banana. Boozer for as good as he is he is no more then the third guy on a championship team. He is a Horace Grant type of big. If your going to be a championship caliber team with Boozer on the roster you need two other better players (Williams and ?).

3. The obvious need after the Latewhores series was Size and Length. While I will agree that we could use more of both it means nothing without skill (Compare Gasol and Bynum to Fes and Koufas). I just don't see the Jazz finding anyone in the Draft or via Free Agency that will vastly improve Size & Length in time to win any time soon. And those of you who want Boozer gone need to realize that even though Millsap played outstanding in the playoffs we get smaller, shorter, and don't gain any skill in our front court if Boozer leaves and Millsap takes over.

Horace Grant type of big? I don't remember Horace Grant being nearly as good offensively as Carlos Boozer. I also don't remember Carlos Boozer being anywhere near as good defensively as Horace Grant. Even when Grant was 40 and in Orlando.

I was saying that Boozer and Grant were similar players in the sense that they played the same but rather that they are both great number 3 behind two better players (ala Grant was behind Pippen and Jordan in Chicago and Penny and Shaq in Orlando)

I was saying that Boozer and Grant were similar players in the sense that they played the same but rather that they are both great number 3 behind two better players (ala Grant was behind Pippen and Jordan in Chicago and Penny and Shaq in Orlando)

I can't for the life of me think of any 20-10 guys that were the third wheel on any team, or better put, a 20-10 guy that was so efficient offensively that was a third wheel.

I can't for the life of me think of any 20-10 guys that were the third wheel on any team, or better put, a 20-10 guy that was so efficient offensively that was a third wheel.
I can't think of any 20/10 player more overrated than Boozer in the history of the league. A team with him as a 1st or 2nd option is never going to win a championship. Your best players need to play both ends of the floor and be reasonably successful at both ends of the floor. Boozer is not.

Boozer could easily be a #2 player on a championship team, but the team he's on better have a Mark Eaton/David Robinson type 5 behind him to cover his @$$ when he plays his world famous "matador" defense.

My suggestion, dump him for a 4 that can play D and is as long as he is athletic in the last year of a HUGE contract...aka. AK. Play Millsap off the bench like before, and do whatever it takes to get a BIG 5 that wants to play D and can hopefully pass well enough to mess with the other teams D a bit.

Boozer could easily be a #2 player on a championship team, but the team he's on better have a Mark Eaton/David Robinson type 5 behind him to cover his @$$ when he plays his world famous "matador" defense.

Mutumbo came to my mind. Robinson wouldn't work in this example since he would be the superior player to Boozer and the monetary investment would be astronomical in all likelihood.

Given the way the Jazz were constructed the last few year, either Okur or Boozer had to come up big defensively throughout the playoffs. Okur tried and did it pretty well, actually, but at the cost of his offense. I don't know if Boozer tried to be that defensive stalwart.

First off let me say it great to have Jazzfanz back!!!
Well ever since the Jazz were swept by the LateWhores I've been thinking about what the Jazz need to do to win that championship. At first I was hoping that the Knicks pick would turn into a top 3 pick. That didn't happen. So lets address what i feel the Jazz need to improve on to get over the hump. I believe there are three main areas the Jazz need to improve on.
1. A Scorer on the wings
2. A true second scorer
3. Size and Length

1. If you look at every team in the conference finals they all have 1 thing in common...a SG/SF who can drop 20 on a team any game (LateWhores-Kobe, Celtics-Pierce and Allen, Magic-Carter and Lewis, and Suns-Richardson) Let's face it the Jazz don't have one wing who can go for 20. Our best game against the Latewhores was when Korver had the game of his life. I think Matthews and Miles are great role players who can occasionally have a big game. The Jazz need a wing who can consistently have a big game. Guys I would like the Jazz try to get is Danny Granger, Andre Igudula, or any other decent wing player.

2. If we solve problem one this one would be kind of solved if the Jazz bring back Boozer. But if you really look at the Jazz the other thing we are missing is an elite second banana to DWill's first banana. Boozer for as good as he is he is no more then the third guy on a championship team. He is a Horace Grant type of big. If your going to be a championship caliber team with Boozer on the roster you need two other better players (Williams and ?).

3. The obvious need after the Latewhores series was Size and Length. While I will agree that we could use more of both it means nothing without skill (Compare Gasol and Bynum to Fes and Koufas). I just don't see the Jazz finding anyone in the Draft or via Free Agency that will vastly improve Size & Length in time to win any time soon. And those of you who want Boozer gone need to realize that even though Millsap played outstanding in the playoffs we get smaller, shorter, and don't gain any skill in our front court if Boozer leaves and Millsap takes over.

We have wing scorer that can get 20 at any moment. His name is Deron Williams.

If we retain Boozer the thing we need most is someone to defend the rim.