What's new

The Houston Rockets have signed Scott Machado

cctrackstar

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8350334?

HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets have signed Scott Machado, who led the nation in assists last season with Iona.

The 6-foot-1 Machado played well on the Rockets' summer league team, averaging 8.0 points, a team-high 5.6 assists and 2.2 steals in five games. He closed summer league play by leading the Rockets with 20 points and six assists in a 96-88 win over Chicago.

Machado, a rookie free agent who averaged 9.9 assists as a senior, averaged 12.2 points, 6.7 assists, 3.9 rebounds and 1.4 steals in 132 games over four seasons at Iona. Machado is the Gaels' career leader in assists (880) and ranks 17th in NCAA history.

The Rockets waived forward Diamon Simpson.

Hang on, yeah it's not a Jazz topic, but this was a player that I kind of wish the Jazz would have taken with their second round pick. I like who they took but with the Jazz's weakness at point guard he would have been a cheap backup.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/scott-machado

Oh, I see they waived a player to make room.
How many players do the rockets now have under contract...30 or so? It will be interesting come cut down day if they're unable to make any 2-for-1 trades.

I don't think he'll be very good, but I admit I'm intrigued and will be watching.

I wanted this guy in the 2nd round. Let that be known to the board and the internet basketball world.

Yeah. I was high on him then cooled on him substantially. But he was worth a look considering that the Jazz are missing any PGs <30. I'll be paying attention.

Watched him in Summer League. I just don't see it. He worked his butt off is summer league on a stacked team and was just average for the Summer league. He can pass and he hit a few shots. But I still can't seem how he can guard anyone any good.

we have to do it on the off chance that he becomes productive, just to rub it in the rockets' face

i liked machado. but he's spent almost the entire year either on the inactive list or in the D-league, so it's hard to gauge if he's really NBA-ready.

Let's all talk **** about Watson... as though the player he is today is the player he's always been... fun times.

Anybody who wouldn't pick up a young Watson off the waiver wire should have his head examined.

Not saying that's who Machado is, but, yeah....

Let's all talk **** about Watson... as though the player he is today is the player he's always been... fun times.

Anybody who wouldn't pick up a young Watson off the waiver wire should have his head examined.

Not saying that's who Machado is, but, yeah....

Alright you got me. Watson did used to be a pretty good player and if Machado turns out to be the younger Watson, more power to him.

the problem with machado is that he costs 2+ million... the prorated min salary he himself will earn, plus the 1.8M remaining on bell's deal that we'd have to eat to sign someone off the waiver wire.

at some point, the jazz are going to have to relent on the principle that they don't want to reward bell's tantrums by paying him to play elsewhere. i get why they feel that way, but at a certain point you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.