What's new

The Jazz are a big pile of clay this year.

Chris

I don't know about you guys but I am pumped for the Draft already, regardless of what the Jazz end up doing. Really hope the Jazz go with Aaron Gordon at 5 but this isn't a draft thread per se. Didn't think I'd be this pumped when I found out that the Jazz would likely miss out on Jabari Parker -- my pipe dream this whole college basketball season. And maybe something might work itself out. But I digress.

I'm loving the choice of Quin Snyder as the new head coach. Assuming they re-sign Hayward, dump Marvin & RJ, (and let's not forget that Biedrins is off the books), the team has the money to sign Hayward to whatever he'll command on the open market, should the Jazz choose to match that team's (read: Boston Celtics) offer. They can also sign each of this year's draft picks to decent, reasonable rookie scale contracts, and then sign Kanter and Burks to new deals now too.

Strike while the iron is hot with those guys. Alec Burks is on the cusp of a(nother) breakout season with a new, developmentally-minded young coach and Kanter is about to bust out too. Enes didn't have such a hot '13-'14 so we re-sign him now for less than he might get next offseason on the open market. Same for Burks, who might become the whole Wes Matthews situation all over again if Jazz brass gets caught sleeping.

At that point, you've got the youngest team in the League, still some money to spend, and all of your core signed for good, cap friendly, long-ish deals. All with a highly recommended, defense-minded coach whose players love him.

So yeah, I'm pretty pumped to watch the whole thing start to unfold next Thursday night.

Last edited:
I agree that Burks is on the cusp of becoming a SOLID player. He's starting to find out his niche in this league. You're right in that we need a coach who is going to take an interest in his development and really make him bloom.

I share your enthusiasm. I'm so happy. Nobody liked Corbin but truth be told I wasn't a fan of Jerry for many years. I like him fine but as a coach I'd get frustrated with him. So I'm really excited about Quin.

Corbin tried to be Sloan, didn't work too well. Sloan at least got the most of players. I'm pretty excited, hope the Jazz turn some heads this season. Though it probably won't happen...

This year could have been one of the best in Jazz history had the ping pong balls fell our way.

I'm mildly looking forward to next year. Some of our lame vets like RJ will be gone. Gobert, Burke, and Kanter under Quin is interesting. Burks will continue to improve.
Our new draft pick. Vegas summer league. Favors. Maybe Neto, Tomic.

I wanted this year to have the pieces fall in place to make a run at being a top 4 team in the west. That simply hasn't happened, so my excitement is contained. I just can't get that excited about seeing our mediocre team progress. Although there are some fun young players, new coach, and new draft pick(s) I don't feel this is on the way to being a great team. It's just more of the same, no chance at becoming a top team. I want a title, and want to feel that we are headed that way. Wake me up when something goes our way for once.

I really do hope things work out with Hayward. On a reasonable to somewhat reasonably-high deal, he and Snyder could do some damage together. I understand the frustration that many have with the youth movement, but we all need to recognize that much of what we've seen (or not seen) thus far from all the young talent can be linked back to Ty Corbin, who just wasn't a very good coach. As a result, we just don't know who these players truly are yet and where each of their ceilings might be.

I like what I'm hearing about Snyder because it sounds like he's exactly the type of coach who can maximize the potential of this entire roster on both ends of the floor, which is the area in which Ty was severely deficient.

I just like the idea that for once in a really long time we now have a coach who at least sounds smart....

I really do hope things work out with Hayward. On a reasonable to somewhat reasonably-high deal, he and Snyder could do some damage together. I understand the frustration that many have with the youth movement, but we all need to recognize that much of what we've seen (or not seen) thus far from all the young talent can be linked back to Ty Corbin, who just wasn't a very good coach. As a result, we just don't know who these players truly are yet and where each of their ceilings might be.

I like what I'm hearing about Snyder because it sounds like he's exactly the type of coach who can maximize the potential of this entire roster on both ends of the floor, which is the area in which Ty was severely deficient.

Deficient is the understatement of the year in describing Corbin. The only thing he wasn't deficient in, was as many posters have pointed out, was his wardrobe.