What's new

The Knicks are at the Cross Section of Hope and Desperation

I don't necessarily disagree with anything said here. If the Knicks (or anyone else) offer the godfather package you take it. Problem is that even if there are 29 godfather offers available, the Jazz won't realistically deal Don unless he asks for it.

I also still differ in trade strategy. I guess our main difference is that whether we should take the best offer we can get now or try to drag it out and milk out more assets from NYK. I'm much more willing to let NYK collapse on themselves and become more desperate to give the AD-Godfather type package NOP got by waiting. I feel like that situation is more relevant than the OKC-LAC situation where it could only happen in that exact point in time because of the Kawhi situation.
I am almost praying he actually asks for it, rather than do a Hayward and fool us around until he leaves for nothing.

No way I do this without getting Barrett back.

Barrett, Toppin and picks. Shoot for Quigley too but he’s not a must.

If we got 5 unprotected 1st round picks, yes, it sounds super sexy. I'm just saying that if we got the picks, we won't get any valuable players. So probably wouldn't even get Fournier. We'd probably get back Rose, Burks, Kemba, etc.

I think it's a risk.

Or we could say no to that. Acting like we don’t have all the leverage here.

I am almost praying he actually asks for it, rather than do a Hayward and fool us around until he leaves for nothing.

I don't think he'd ask for a trade until he's hatched a plan. His goal has to be to get to a big market and play with other All Stars. He has to line that up before he says something, or there's a risk that the Jazz will trade him somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Donovan is a player who I think wins a championship before the end of his career with the right pieces around him. He is also super marketable.

We aren't winning a championship with our current team. We broke.

Donovan is our biggest trade assett and teams will give funny money for those types of players.

If we make the Donovan trade then I think we follow the OKC model with the whole team and hit restart right. Bogey, Clarkson, Gobert, Donovan and Conley all fetch 2+ firsts in the right trades. I could see us pickup upwards of 14 first round picks from that group.

Then facilitate cash dumps for another 5 assets and hire the best draft analysts in the world.
All right all right all right. 14 picks was my target. 6 down, 8 to go and we only traded two of the players I mentioned.

Bogey, Clarkson, Conley each getting 1 pick each plus Donovan reeling in another 5 would get us to 14 draft picks. If we're going to tank then let's do it right.

Listened to Andy's pod this morning and been thinking about all the **** with Donovan and the Knicks over the years. I think the Knicks are at a critical moment here and it is time to pounce.

They have a little hope based on what they built during the 2020 season and based on RJ being okay... they were obviously a huge disappointment and based on how picks in the late lotto have gone for them I am not sure they think internal development and whatever prospect they get will work. There is also some desperation to get something done, but have no cap space... also you have national media types straight telling Donovan "don't go there". If they don't get Donovan who are they going to get? They have so many eggs in that basket... the CAA ties... Bryant... ****ing World Wide Wes was with Randle at the first playoff game (which got some of the Jazz brass attention apparently). They want Donovan bad right now... would they want him as bad in a year if they are again mediocre and maybe Dolan is kicking the CAA guys to the curb? What if he has a mediocre or just average year? What if they realize they can't get Donovan and give away some of the assets they could give us in a trade.

How desperate are they? Would they give up all the draft capital for Donovan... say they pick at #11 on draft night and then give us their 23,25,27,29 picks unprotected... as well as the lotto protected Dallas pick they own... six picks for Donovan... look at the Knicks track record and you can guess that half of those become lotto picks at least... one unfortunate injury and you might be looking at a few HIGH picks in that mix. Are they desperate enough to give out pick swaps in between? The thunder got SGA and complete control of the Clips picks for as long as they could at the time. I think its a fair comp (kind of).... but the devil is that OKC bet against the Clips... we are betting against NY... huge difference there. NY has made the playoffs 2 in 10 years... the 10 years before 3 times. Hell even in the Clips case they are giving up a lotto pick this year when they surely thought those early picks would be late firsts.

I just think the Knicks are at a critical point here to take a seriously wild swing and might push all in... we need to be ready to push them that way.
A more dramatic thread title would be “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.”

I definitely think they would give the most to get him... would certainly hear out other offers. I think they can convince themselves Donovan is the guy and he will get the FA parade coming to NY and push "all-in". I think if they land a top 4 pick the push will be even stronger from NY... then Danny just needs to keep getting them to add to the pile and you end up getting a mega haul.
I think it was more likely this would happen before the Knicks signed Brunson to his contract. Now I don't think they are as willing to trade for DM.