What's new

The Official Go Get Kawhi Thread

It sucks, but the reality is everyone would choose to play in a bigger market if all else was equal.

1. They get paid more from endorsement money in big markets
2. It's usually easier to win in big markets
3. Players are more likely to join you in big markets

The only reason for anyone to stay in a small market is if your situation is perfect (see Duncan, but even he came close to getting out at one point).

No.

1) Many, like myself, can’t stand certain major markets. I find NYC to be a ****ing cesspool. Whether I could live outside of the city or not is immaterial since I’d still have to spend a ton of time in the city itself.

2) I love how you say if all else is equal and then proceed to list three ways in which big markets aren’t equal to others.

smfh.

I actually think that the thing that hurts Utah isn't that it's a small Market it's that it's kind of weird. I know, I know, it's overblown, the perception is worse than reality but still in reality... it is weird.

Do some players fall in love with Utah after coming here; yeah. How many of those players thought they would fall in love with Utah before they got here?

No.

1) Many, like myself, can’t stand certain major markets. I find NYC to be a ****ing cesspool. Whether I could live outside of the city or not is immaterial since I’d still have to spend a ton of time in the city itself.

2) I love how you say if all else is equal and then proceed to list three ways in which big markets aren’t equal to others.

smfh.
Uhh, wut?

If all else equal is holding everything else constant, things that arent influenced by market size (like how good the coach is, how good the FO is, what position they are in to win, etc).

Also, you arent a NBA player.

A couple weeks ago I read that he accused the Spurs of not being able to land big names. I don't have a link, doesn't sound like he'd want to come to Utah, as they have a harder time then the Spurs attracting talent. So ya, he's not coming here unless we trade for him, and if we somehow manage to outbid other teams, he'll probably bolt the first chance he gets. Give it a rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durant brought home the biggest endorsement dollars in the entire NBA for years while he was in OKC. More than Lebron who was at his peak. So yeah, market matters very little.
And I'm sure his endorsers advocated strongly for him heading to a larger market.

If you can double the impact of your advertising dollars by moving your athlete from a small market to a big one, of course you are going to incentivize that by offering an x% increase in endorsement dollars.

That isn't to say that athlete x in SLC can't earn more than athlete y in LA. But you can bet athlete x's endorsers are going to offer conditional raises based on what market they go to in free agency.

I think the big market and small market gap is shrinking a lot thanks to the internet and social media.

but as I said before, leonard's uncle is a problem and I have a feeling he's going to try and muscle leonard to the lakers for some reason.

I think the big market and small market gap is shrinking a lot thanks to the internet and social media.

but as I said before, leonard's uncle is a problem and I have a feeling he's going to try and muscle leonard to the lakers for some reason.
If the relationship is truly broken, I could easily see the Spurs trading him this offseason - to a team in the East. I don’t see the Spurs and Popovich trading their franchise player to a western conference rival.

How many times a day are the Lakers mentioned on ESPN? It still matters.

I actually think that the thing that hurts Utah isn't that it's a small Market it's that it's kind of weird. I know, I know, it's overblown, the perception is worse than reality but still in reality... it is weird.

Do some players fall in love with Utah after coming here; yeah. How many of those players thought they would fall in love with Utah before they got here?
This. Not only isn't Utah a big market, the state is weird. And it isn't racially diverse. Jazz were able to hang on to Malone, but others have bolted (or threatened to) as free agents. Couldn't get a commitment from Deron; Jazz thought for sure he'd leave, so they traded him. Weren't able to hang on to Hayward (and he's white!). OK, Jazz were actually able to get Boozer and Memo by outbidding all others. But when Utah is bidding against other teams who can/will offer the same, they're going to lose. Utah is still seen as a white, Mormon, small state with no night life and nothing to offer the typical young, black athlete.

Yes, I'm stereotyping because there are a certain group of NBA types that would consider Utah: and that type is generally a family-oriented player. One who isn't really interested in strip clubs at 2:00 am on their off days. And a lot of Europeans are drawn to Utah. I just laugh at you guys who think a Kwahi, Klay or other top-tier FA is going to choose Utah. Set your sights on a Euro player or one who would have a natural tie-in to Utah: Jazz should have gotten Mirotic (but I understand why it didn't happen). They might be able to pry Gordon or Parker away from Orlando or Milwaukee. Other than that, DL has to look for cast-offs, vets who have few other choices or try to trade for a player with a couple of years left on his contract and then outbid all others.