The Social Dilemma

leftyjace

Would love to hear how many of you have watched this show on Netflix.
Given the current political climate and rapidly increasing polarization of the US population, I think it should be required watching.
Are we seeing examples of the effects described in the film right here at Jazzfanz?

Beer

I watched it. 99% was painfully obvious stuff to anyone who understands technology. Rogan had one of the main guys behind it on and it was much more interesting. Getting into how many deaths misinformation and fear mongering has caused in other countries like India for example. And how its next to impossible for these companies to police everything in every single country.

tfivas

2019 Prediction Contest Winner
Watched the first 45 minutes. Wasn't interesting enough for me to finish. I know I'm addicted to my phone and that's probably not going to change lol.

leftyjace

I found it interesting that they kept the “recommendations” to a very quick blurb during the final credits. You would think they would have highlighted those as a powerful, closing segment of the film.

LogGrad98

Contributor
Watched it with my family. I've already been reducing my phone usage, having already been aware of these issues. I found it eye opening in lots of ways. I don't do social media, I quit Facebook nearly 10 years ago and don't miss it one but, but there are plenty of other things to keep you using your phone all the time. I believe it accurately shows the effects of phone usage like this on kids especially and I think it's a real problem that is causing real issues in society. No idea how to fix it, other then education and hoping people choose to reduced their dependence on their own. I think it'll get far worse before it gets any better, if it gets any better.

leftyjace

Ya, it's a tough one for me. I've taken extended breaks and would not miss social media. But my whole DJ side gig is based on Facebook advertising and activity, so I can't be completely free of it, sadly.
it will definitely get worse before getting better.

LogGrad98

Contributor
Ya, it's a tough one for me. I've taken extended breaks and would not miss social media. But my whole DJ side gig is based on Facebook advertising and activity, so I can't be completely free of it, sadly.
it will definitely get worse before getting better.
I think it's a little different when you have a business based on Facebook. My wife is a pampered chef consultant and her entire business is Facebook driven, and it's very very effective, she's doing really well with it. But I wouldn't consider it "social media use" in the traditional sense. In fact after we watched the social dilemma she told me she thought a lot about what it said and noticed that her "normal" Facebook usage has gone down a lot even while she is on there a lot for her business. It is a weird dichotomy for sure, but I think it's definitely a different thing when it's your business.

Last edited: