What's new

These Jazz Practices Are Making Me Excited.

Doublea

Tweets from Jody:

Quin: "The biggest thing I’ve asked them is to be unselfish, to have obvious unselfishness, have it resonate when people watch us practice."

Alec Burks on Jazz 'O': "I feel like Quin plays my style. He wants to play with pace, open space. I do that for a lving. I love to do that."

Asked who's caught his eye so far in camp, Gordon Hayward mentioned Alec Burks, Rudy Gobert and Trevor Booker.

Alec Burks said it's noticeable that Gordon Hayward is more physical. Asked about the "bully" remark, Burks laughed. "He ain't bullying me."

Jazz started practice at 10 and are still going almost two-and-a-half hours later. They have a second practice tonight.

“It’s habits. It’s mental hustle. If you’re not quick to react, you’re late and you can’t catch up. It’s like a sprint — whoever gets out of the gate quickly has an advantage,” the new Jazz coach said. “Especially if you look at the point guards in the West — the ball’s coming at you pretty quick. We’ve got to have the bigs also to form a wall, so people see bodies and see a crowd (and) they don’t see space and the rim.” -Coach Snyder

Rookie Rodney Hood was surprise the Jazz ran sprints. "I didn't think they did that in the NBA."

Derrick Favors said the Jazz didn't run one offensive play in their first practice. It was all about defense.

----

Can't wait to see some Jazz basketball. These quotes are making me excited. It sounds like transition defense is being really focused on. I think I read somewhere that a bunch of the good teams in the nba have good transition defense.

Yesterday the word was transition defense. Snyder said he didn't care if the Jazz didn't get a offensive rebound all season.

Fantastic, because transition defense was embarrassing last season.

Today addresses another embarrassment: inbounds plays.

Tony Jones @Tjonessltrib
baby steps: The Jazz threw in a few out of bounds sets and inbounds plays in practice this morning

If they spend tomorrow on end of game clock managment they will have covered all my frustrations in the first three days, and I will be hopelessly in love.

Edit: one more frustration, the jazz played horrible in transition last year. They had the young legs, they had the desire, they didn't have coaching. Quin will fix it.

Last edited:
A nice piece here by Locke re obvious unselfishness:

Quin Snyder revealed a phrase with the media today that his players will hear time and time again this season, “Obvious Unselfishness”

“The biggest thing I have asked from them is to be unselfish, to have obvious unselfishness. To have it resonate with people that have watched us practice.”

Each of the last two days have had great examples of “Obvious Unselfishness.” Yesterday in the 4 on 4 setting Derrick Favors took a pass off the pick and roll on the right side of the lane. Favors caught it in traffic in the lane and rather than forcing the shot he immediately moved the pass to the corner for a wide open 3. For Snyder that is “obvious unselfishness”

Today the Jazz were playing a high intensity 5 on 5 where the defense must get three straight stops. The defense accomplished this on a missed three ball from Rodney Hood,but an excited Quin Snyder was ecstatic about the play Enes Kanter had just made.

Kanter caught on the left block and started a move to the middle. However, the space evaporated. Kanter, who had 8 assists as a rookie and averaged .9 per game last year, fired the ball to the top of the key to Rodney Hood for a wide open look. It was “obvious unselfishness.”

I think it's obvious that Quin has done is homework on our problem areas last season. Either that or the Jazz FO hired a guy with the schemes that helped fix our issues. Anybody who watched a few Jazz games last year could tell that our defense was awful guarding the fast break and allowing points in the paint. I do expect a significant improvement on defense.

On offense, I'm skeptical, but mostly cause the players in our starting lineup. We lack a consistent shooter so no matter what we do Burke, Burks, Hayward and I guess Kanter now are going to have to hit outside shots consistently. We lost Richard Jefferson and Marvin Williams, our two best outside shooters last year.

I think it's obvious that Quin has done is homework on our problem areas last season. Either that or the Jazz FO hired a guy with the schemes that helped fix our issues. Anybody who watched a few Jazz games last year could tell that our defense was awful guarding the fast break and allowing points in the paint. I do expect a significant improvement on defense.

On offense, I'm skeptical, but mostly cause the players in our starting lineup. We lack a consistent shooter so no matter what we do Burke, Burks, Hayward and I guess Kanter now are going to have to hit outside shots consistently. We lost Richard Jefferson and Marvin Williams, our two best outside shooters last year.

It will be interesting to see what happens re: shooters. Hood could end up our most consistent outside threat by mid-season... will that and his defense earn him a starting job? It isn't impossible. Will Alec's outside shot be as good as last year? better? Will Gordon ****ing figure it out? Who is Enes Kanter? Will Booker (and his shot) steal his job? Can Trey play smartly off the ball and hit the 3?

Quin has got to be worried about who he can count on to score.

It is very interesting to hear the comments - obviously we all had out opinions of corbin - but none of us knew what trainings were like nor what happened behind the scenes - It is interesting to hear locke's comments that training camp is completely different to anything he saw the previous coaches do. Much more organised and focussed. It is certainly encouraging so far to hear the points of focus Snyder is honing in on. But I suppose none of it will matter generally if the players come out and stink it up really bad. I get the feeling that wont happen - but there is a fair risk of it.

If the players come out playing a lot more competitively, Snyder will look like a genius, and Corbin's reputation will go through the floor.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];908703 said:
It will be interesting to see what happens re: shooters. Hood could end up our most consistent outside threat by mid-season... will that and his defense earn him a starting job? It isn't impossible. Will Alec's outside shot be as good as last year? better? Will Gordon ****ing figure it out? Who is Enes Kanter? Will Booker (and his shot) steal his job? Can Trey play smartly off the ball and hit the 3?

Quin has got to be worried about who he can count on to score.

I believe hood, trey, and Hayward will all be above average 3 point shooters. That should be enough.

Burks is adequate but he is what he is..... a GREAT slasher, finisher, and foul drawer.

I think kanter shooting 3's is a bit overblown, but his mid range game should be very good.

Strangely enough, I think our floor spacing will be just fine.

Did anyone catch Randy Rigby on 1280? Said something about Quin riding the rookie Dante very hard today. Said he stopped practice, saying," we showed you what to do and you are still doing it wrong so now you are going to have to run. " then Quin asked which of his teammates were going to run with Dante.

I didn't get to hear, did anyone run with Dante or did he run alone?

I believe hood, trey, and Hayward will all be above average 3 point shooters. That should be enough.

Burks is adequate but he is what he is..... a GREAT slasher, finisher, and foul drawer.

I think kanter shooting 3's is a bit overblown, but his mid range game should be very good.

Strangely enough, I think our floor spacing will be just fine.

I'm suspicious of anyone who isn't worried about how we're going to score, consistently. Shooting is going to be problem this year.

Did anyone catch Randy Rigby on 1280? Said something about Quin riding the rookie Dante very hard today. Said he stopped practice, saying," we showed you what to do and you are still doing it wrong so now you are going to have to run. " then Quin asked which of his teammates were going to run with Dante.

I didn't get to hear, did anyone run with Dante or did he run alone?

I like it.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];908733 said:
I'm suspicious of anyone who isn't worried about how we're going to score, consistently. Shooting is going to be problem this year.
No need to be suspicious of me bro.... I'm not hiding anything.

I do think Hayward, trey, and hood are all good shooters though.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];908742 said:
heh.
Hood hasn't proven anything. And Hayward, Trey, and Alec haven't proven anything about consistency. The opposite, actually.
Ya, I dont put Alec in the group of good shooters..... and though the others have not proven it, I have blind, unfounded faith that trey, gordon, and hood nukka rod will all shoot the three ball well

Relative to the rest of the league, offense will be a problem and will create many problems on defense, just like last year. I hope it is much improved, though, and there's certainly lots of room to do so.

Just my opinion, but I agree with the fixed size dude.

Relative to the rest of the league, offense will be a problem and will create many problems on defense, just like last year. I hope it is much improved, though, and there's certainly lots of room to do so.

Just my opinion, but I agree with the fixed size dude.

The focus on "pace" is awesome. But, when I look at Trey and Enes, I see two guys who will struggle to make an impact within that concept. Booker and Exum better get ready.

I wonder if we'll see much of Alec and Gordon at the 1 and 2? "Pace" plays right into their strengths.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];908747 said:
The focus on "pace" is awesome. But, when I look at Trey and Enes, I see two guys who will struggle to make an impact within that concept. Booker and Exum better get ready.

I wonder if we'll see much of Alec and Gordon at the 1 and 2? "Pace" plays right into their strengths.

What makes you think it would be a problem for Enes? I think he gets down the floor pretty well and is well conditioned.