Thinking About a Larger Change...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jason, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Gameface

Gameface I actually REALLY like Gobert! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    Not the same, but couldn't rep power be derived from likes instead of a separate rep system?

2. Stoked

Stoked Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

Dec 13, 2011
    Jazzavenues about to become a heavy hitter lol

3. Gameface

May 25, 2010
    Oh and it'd be fantastic if we could look at a profile and see all usernames that person has used.

4. Jason

Jason Administrator Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    Shouldn't he? :)

5. Stoked

Dec 13, 2011
    I'm all in. Hands down the best threads on the forum.

6. colton

colton All Around Nice Guy Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    LOL, that's definitely below elite.

7. colton

May 25, 2010
    My thoughts on the specific items listed:

Like/Dislike vs Reputation or similar - I think something like this is nice, but the two systems are a bit redundant. Nice thing about like/dislike: very quick and easy. Nice thing about rep: the ability to leave a comment direct to poster while liking something. If we're starting from scratch, of the two I'd probably go with simplicity and keep like/dislike and get rid of rep.

Personal forums for Premium Members - I never look at, haven't ever set up my own.

Ignore - yes, needed. I don't use it myself but I would if I weren't an admin.

PMs - yes, needed

Tapatalk or the JazzFanz.com app - In principle the jazzfanz mobile site could be made as good as the app, but right now I find the app more convenient so it's a must for me. Probably 70-80 of the time I'm on jazzfanz it's via the app these days.

Self-publish a blog-style article as opposed to just post? - I do miss the articles we used to have periodically by jazzfanz posters.

Jazz News more curated and consolidated - current way of doing things seems OK to me.

Schedule, standings, and boxscores - Yes, I think that would be cool/helpful.

Better chat - I used to use chat almost every game. Now that I'm watching most games via "tape delay" on DVR, not sure if I would use it much if you brought it back in a nicely usable form. Maybe.

Better mobile experience in a browser - To me this is a bit redundant with jazzfanz app. It's worth putting serious time/effort into one of them, but maybe not both.

Ability to ban Colton (kidding) - Hey now!

Remove all/some ads for Premium Members - Very nice idea.

8. colton

May 25, 2010
    One nice thing about posting to game threads as opposed to chat that just occurred to me, is that if I miss a game I often like to read the whole game thread to find out what happened. Sort of mimics the experience of watching it live without actually watching it.

9. colton

May 25, 2010
    Cool idea.

10. colton

May 25, 2010
    Meaning, a user could mark threads as favorites, then view his/her own list of favorites whenever desired? That sounds like a great idea.

11. colton

May 25, 2010
    If we get rid of rep, we could perhaps display a lifetime tally of likes/dislikes.

12. colton

May 25, 2010
    Another one--although I do use "Thanks", they are also fairly redundant with likes/dislikes and rep. I'd probably just keep likes/dislikes and get rid of thanks and rep. And as just mentioned, display a lifetime tally of numbers of likes and dislikes on your own posts.

13. Gameface

May 25, 2010
    I work evenings so during the week I rarely get to watch Jazz games. A couple people I hang out with at work are way into sports in general and one is an avid Jazz fan, and I tried to get them to not spoil games so I could go home and watch them but they take that as a challenge to make cute comments that they think don't spoil the game. That and I've changed my bedtime so I don't have the time after work to watch the games. All that so I could say, I sometimes use the thread as a way to follow the game while I'm at work. I get a lot of great insight into how the game is flowing and how players are performing more than by just checking a box score. I've never enjoyed the live chat.

14. Jinglin Joe

Jinglin Joe Banned

Nov 2, 2017
    Regarding focusing on an app or a more robust mobile version of the site - i say the latter is much more preferable.
    In fact, if a really great mobile version of the site is ever created, I'd scrap the app completely (unless there's some huge financial benefit to it I guess).

The main benefit of an app can easily be replicated by making an app shortcut to it via saving a bookmark icon to your home screen.

The current mobile version of the site is the worst version of the site. IMO it shouldn't even be the default landing for mobile browsers. I've already gone into settings and clicked over to "full site".

15. ♪alt13

♪alt13 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    this

16. cooldude32

cooldude32 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    That would be cool.

17. Stoked

Dec 13, 2011
    Same, I have never used the mobile site. Always go into "full site"

18. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    This.

19. 8

8 37 Contributor

Apr 29, 2012
    Odd. I always use the mobile site as opposed to the full site. If I use the full site I gotta constantly zoom in and out to navigate and read.
    Maybe I'm missing something? <-- ball on tee

20. moevillini

moevillini the Chief Old D'oh Staff Member

May 26, 2010
    I've sort of had that idea for a long time now, but with using the private forums as a sort of "island" and banning users to a special forum all to themselves

one thing I've sort of missed for a long time is that little "Predict the Score" game that was here ages ago