What's new

Thinking About a Larger Change...

My favorite suggestion.

Also, I want to point out that rep and like/dislike are NOT the same. One is post specific, and the other is a lifetime tally.

Not the same, but couldn't rep power be derived from likes instead of a separate rep system?

Oh and it'd be fantastic if we could look at a profile and see all usernames that person has used.

I've been toying with doing an upgrade to JazzFanz's forum software lately but really wondering if there are features we don't have that you'd be interested in? Initially I was thinking we'd just re-skin the site and update the underlying software to the latest and greatest but the recent post about boxscores and request for chat got me thinking... What do you want on JazzFanz.com? Take a few minutes, if you would, and tell me:

1. What features exist today we JUST. CAN'T. LOSE?
a. Like/Dislike
b. Reputation or similar
c. Personal forums for Premium Members
d. Ignore
e. PMs
f. Tapatalk or the JazzFanz.com app
g. What else?

2. What features don't exist today but you would you want to get here?
a. Self-publish a blog-style article as opposed to just post?
b. Jazz News more curated and consolidated
c. Schedule, standings, and boxscores
d. Better chat
e. Better mobile experience in a browser
f. Ability to ban Colton (kidding)
g. Remove all/some ads for Premium Members
h. What else?

What is it? You can say to change nothing as well. No promises or guarantees implied other than, if I do something, there's a decent chance SOME functionality might go away short or long-term just based on the nature of a major update to a new piece of software.

Thanks in advance.

My thoughts on the specific items listed:

Like/Dislike vs Reputation or similar - I think something like this is nice, but the two systems are a bit redundant. Nice thing about like/dislike: very quick and easy. Nice thing about rep: the ability to leave a comment direct to poster while liking something. If we're starting from scratch, of the two I'd probably go with simplicity and keep like/dislike and get rid of rep.

Personal forums for Premium Members - I never look at, haven't ever set up my own.

Ignore - yes, needed. I don't use it myself but I would if I weren't an admin.

PMs - yes, needed

Tapatalk or the JazzFanz.com app - In principle the jazzfanz mobile site could be made as good as the app, but right now I find the app more convenient so it's a must for me. Probably 70-80 of the time I'm on jazzfanz it's via the app these days.

Self-publish a blog-style article as opposed to just post? - I do miss the articles we used to have periodically by jazzfanz posters.

Jazz News more curated and consolidated - current way of doing things seems OK to me.

Schedule, standings, and boxscores - Yes, I think that would be cool/helpful.

Better chat - I used to use chat almost every game. Now that I'm watching most games via "tape delay" on DVR, not sure if I would use it much if you brought it back in a nicely usable form. Maybe.

Better mobile experience in a browser - To me this is a bit redundant with jazzfanz app. It's worth putting serious time/effort into one of them, but maybe not both.

Ability to ban Colton (kidding) - Hey now!

Remove all/some ads for Premium Members - Very nice idea.

I think having a chat app that worked with the app and the site would be a really great upgrade. I prefer having the chat during the game then trying to type in the game thread and make a post.

One nice thing about posting to game threads as opposed to chat that just occurred to me, is that if I miss a game I often like to read the whole game thread to find out what happened. Sort of mimics the experience of watching it live without actually watching it.

A real-time individual chat feature, like a facebook chat thing, would be cool if possible. So you could message someone else who is online and get a chat box where the 2 of you could chat instead of relying on in-box messages. Not a huge big deal but file it under "would be cool".

Cool idea.

Adding a "stickied stuff" section for selected long term threads would be nice. That way I don't have to search for a thread when I hear a cool new song or try a new restaurant.

Meaning, a user could mark threads as favorites, then view his/her own list of favorites whenever desired? That sounds like a great idea.

My favorite suggestion.

Also, I want to point out that rep and like/dislike are NOT the same. One is post specific, and the other is a lifetime tally.

If we get rid of rep, we could perhaps display a lifetime tally of likes/dislikes.

Like/Dislike vs Reputation or similar - I think something like this is nice, but the two systems are a bit redundant. Nice thing about like/dislike: very quick and easy. Nice thing about rep: the ability to leave a comment direct to poster while liking something. If we're starting from scratch, of the two I'd probably go with simplicity and keep like/dislike and get rid of rep.

Another one--although I do use "Thanks", they are also fairly redundant with likes/dislikes and rep. I'd probably just keep likes/dislikes and get rid of thanks and rep. And as just mentioned, display a lifetime tally of numbers of likes and dislikes on your own posts.

One nice thing about posting to game threads as opposed to chat that just occurred to me, is that if I miss a game I often like to read the whole game thread to find out what happened. Sort of mimics the experience of watching it live without actually watching it.

I work evenings so during the week I rarely get to watch Jazz games. A couple people I hang out with at work are way into sports in general and one is an avid Jazz fan, and I tried to get them to not spoil games so I could go home and watch them but they take that as a challenge to make cute comments that they think don't spoil the game. That and I've changed my bedtime so I don't have the time after work to watch the games. All that so I could say, I sometimes use the thread as a way to follow the game while I'm at work. I get a lot of great insight into how the game is flowing and how players are performing more than by just checking a box score. I've never enjoyed the live chat.

Regarding focusing on an app or a more robust mobile version of the site - i say the latter is much more preferable.
In fact, if a really great mobile version of the site is ever created, I'd scrap the app completely (unless there's some huge financial benefit to it I guess).

The main benefit of an app can easily be replicated by making an app shortcut to it via saving a bookmark icon to your home screen.

The current mobile version of the site is the worst version of the site. IMO it shouldn't even be the default landing for mobile browsers. I've already gone into settings and clicked over to "full site".

Regarding focusing on an app or a more robust mobile version of the site - i say the latter is much more preferable.
In fact, if a really great mobile version of the site is ever created, I'd scrap the app completely (unless there's some huge financial benefit to it I guess).

The main benefit of an app can easily be replicated by making an app shortcut to it via saving a bookmark icon to your home screen.

The current mobile version of the site is the worst version of the site. IMO it shouldn't even be the default landing for mobile browsers. I've already gone into settings and clicked over to "full site".

this

Same, I have never used the mobile site. Always go into "full site"

Odd. I always use the mobile site as opposed to the full site. If I use the full site I gotta constantly zoom in and out to navigate and read.
Maybe I'm missing something? <-- ball on tee

The banning Colton function sounds nice, but I think we can expand on that. I've always wanted a Jazzfanz Island feature, where we can all vote to ban a certain user to the island for a period of time.

Maybe once a month we could have a vote on whether or not the island is needed at that time. This way, if we have someone running amuck and destroying threads, but not really breaking rules enough for the mods to step in, we still have an option to address the issue.

I've sort of had that idea for a long time now, but with using the private forums as a sort of "island" and banning users to a special forum all to themselves

one thing I've sort of missed for a long time is that little "Predict the Score" game that was here ages ago