What's new

Throw the Bag at PJ Washington?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
PJ Washington has been a topic of discussion here for a while now. The dude has had a disappointing career this far, marked with flashes of potential but not living up to it consistently. Personally I've always been against him but today my mind wandered after seeing him drop 43.

It's dare I say.... kind of Lauri like.

He's a RFA, but the Hornets are run by a cheap *** MJ. Can he be had? Do we want him? Is the consistency issues more on him or his team? Can the Jazz unlock him next to Lauri and Walker? Is he a better option than John Collins?

I'd be for it on a cheap and/or flexible deal. Gotta be something we can get out of in 1-2 years if he's not the ideal fit.

My guess is (1) the draft will shape our FA strategy for depth pieces, and (2) someone will probably overpay him past what we'd be willing to spend.

I'd be for it on a cheap and/or flexible deal. Gotta be something we can get out of in 1-2 years if he's not the ideal fit.

My guess is (1) the draft will shape our FA strategy for depth pieces, and (2) someone will probably overpay him past what we'd be willing to spend.
You cant really go cheap with RFA's. You have to overpay.

You cant really go cheap with RFA's. You have to overpay.
If you want him the way to do it is to let MJ or whoever runs the HornCats these days know that you are about to drop the bag on him and they should work a sign and trade with you. If they refuse you can believe they will match anything reasonable. So then you have to go to unreasonable amounts. I'm skeptical as most of the time I watch him he is basically invisible. Between coaches and mismanagement its easy to see a guy struggling to make an impact.

15-20M is the fair range... they might match anything in the 20-25M range... I'm probably out. Cam Johnson is another guy you could make a play for in that salary range. I'd prefer we go for him and finesse our way into a Nets trade for DFS or Johnson as there will likely be a better value. If you could get him for 20M then sure... send him an offer sheet... but I'd bet they match anything in the 20-25M range.

Just trying to figure out who the hell we are going to pay this off-season.
I think the time to get PJ for a reasonable price would have been at the deadline for the Philly pick. I think the HornCats will overpay to keep him... seemed like they were deciding between him and McDaniels. They might bring back Bridges next year but his cost will be a fraction of what it would have been. PJ is almost a must keep for them unless it goes over $25M... and that's a scary proposition.

IMO, we will be more aggressive in the trade market than the FA market over the next 1-3 offseasons to add cornerstone pieces. I think we'll be participants in free agency, and aggressors in the trade market.

IMO, we will be more aggressive in the trade market than the FA market over the next 1-3 offseasons to add cornerstone pieces. I think we'll be participants in free agency, and aggressors in the trade market.
I mean, we paid extra to get off Mike Conley for a reason. I know a lot will point to "tank" but they didnt go all out and trade Clarkson, so clearly "tanking" wasnt the sole priority of that Conley trade. They are going to target someone with that money.

I mean, we paid extra to get off Mike Conley for a reason. I know a lot will point to "tank" but they didnt go all out and trade Clarkson, so clearly "tanking" wasnt the sole priority of that Conley trade. They are going to target someone with that money.
I think there is a lot to it but yeah... we wanted space.

I think there are targets... it will depend on who we draft, how the market plays out, and what trades are available. So PJ is likely on the list. If we pass on JC we likely have enough money to throw an offer at PJ and do our other business.

I think DA is opportunistic and flexible. We have a foundation but have so much flexibility and could go a bunch of different directions... so the opportunities will somewhat dictate where we go. Not sure PJ is that because I think Charlotte likely works to keep him. PJ would be a situation to monitor though.

I think some of the prime situations are:

Brooklyn - with the wing and cash crunch they will have. Like want to keep Bridges/Johnson and might work a DFS deal. Say a future pick for DFS. Takes a little money off the books and gives them a flexible asset. Maybe its Sexton (and maybe a pick?) for DFS/Harris. They likely are trying to find anyone to take BS off their hands but no way am I touching that.

Toronto - What happens with FVV and OG. Trent Jr. is almost surely out. If they can extend OG with the new CBA then I bet they go that route.

Boston - The Brown stuff is obvious... but beyond that are they gonna pay 60M for White/Brogdon/Smart with Brown due to hit a big max... and them being set to hit the repeater tax?

Portland - Dame and Grant. I feel like Lillard ends up in Miami if he is moved... just a feeling. If Dame is not sticking around Grant will bounce.

Dallas - It doesn't seem like trade request time is here for Luka but the outlook looks horrible.

Those are some of the main ones I am interested in... there are a lot of youngish FA that I think are worth throwing some dollars at (like Naz Reid) but some of that is draft dependent. You don't want to bury a kid on the depth chart cuz you signed a youngish player over the top of him.