What's new

THT has opted in

Are they hawt?
If you like sweaty man meat. He just had more definition... those things can be a little deceiving but I think he came into camp out of shape last year... its all eye test so maybe not.

If these new draft picks are implying a shape to our team then it is much closer to a blob of clay than a finished porcelain work of art. Holding onto TNT is giving us more of a finished product than 3 very questionable rookies.
If you see more potential in THT than our rookies then I can’t help you.

He was not named in the articles as a building block...

I think he is in our plans... until he isn't. We have some things we need to add in the backcourt and some things we have duplication. If we moved Sexton for like FVV then I think THT as the bench creator/wildcard has some potential. He's a bit too inefficient and unpredictable to be a starter to me... but maybe those edges all smooth out.
He's on a 1 year unrestricted deal, of course he still has to prove it.

If you see more potential in THT than our rookies then I can’t help you.
Oh I see tons of potential in blobs of clay. You said the rookies make us much closer to a finished product, which just isn't true. Potential only matters if it becomes real. That said you really think Keyonte or whoever we took at 28 are going to be better than THT? Based on what exactly? You do know statistically the odds are very very much against you right? Even Hendricks, who statistically again has a much better chance of being an NBA starter than either of the other 2 still has a statistically much lower chance of being better than THT. So yeah the potential is there, and how many players have made millions on potential and never once had even a hint at being as good as THT already is. The answer would be most players that enter the NBA, by the way.

So if you are so pie in the sky that you can't see what you have right in front of you because you're hoping to win the lottery, then I can't help you.

And by the way, we could have made much more use of either of the later 2 licks, or all 3 of those picks, on the draft this year as trade capital, than we ever would with a measley 11 mil to sign someone. So really the F-up here was drafting 3 players to begin with. Believe me, 5 years down the road not a single person will be saying "if only THT had opted out for that one season we would have 4 rings by now", but there are more than even odds we will be saying "why did we use all 3 of those picks instead of trading them for player X".

He was not named in the articles as a building block...

I think he is in our plans... until he isn't. We have some things we need to add in the backcourt and some things we have duplication. If we moved Sexton for like FVV then I think THT as the bench creator/wildcard has some potential. He's a bit too inefficient and unpredictable to be a starter to me... but maybe those edges all smooth out.
Bench creator / wildcard / defensive pest are all good roles that need to be filled. I think the Jazz are likely to turn the keys over to Keyonte George at some point this season and will keep THT over Dunn - unless Trader Danny gets an offer he can’t refuse.

Oh I see tons of potential in blobs of clay. You said the rookies make us much closer to a finished product, which just isn't true. Potential only matters if it becomes real. That said you really think Keyonte or whoever we took at 28 are going to be better than THT? Based on what exactly? You do know statistically the odds are very very much against you right? Even Hendricks, who statistically again has a much better chance of being an NBA starter than either of the other 2 still has a statistically much lower chance of being better than THT. So yeah the potential is there, and how many players have made millions on potential and never once had even a hint at being as good as THT already is. The answer would be most players that enter the NBA, by the way.

So if you are so pie in the sky that you can't see what you have right in front of you because you're hoping to win the lottery, then I can't help you.

And by the way, we could have made much more use of either of the later 2 licks, or all 3 of those picks, on the draft this year as trade capital, than we ever would with a measley 11 mil to sign someone. So really the F-up here was drafting 3 players to begin with. Believe me, 5 years down the road not a single person will be saying "if only THT had opted out for that one season we would have 4 rings by now", but there are more than even odds we will be saying "why did we use all 3 of those picks instead of trading them for player X".
I see your point but still our views differ.

Im recent years smaller markets such as Milwaukee and Denver have won the Chip based largely on home grown talents.

Moreover with the new CBA, I see much more emphasis on identifying and drafting quality players who we could keep on cheaper rookie deals.

Sure, you can trade for a superstar to play next to Lauri if a deal is there to be had.

But those deals are few and far between. And requires luck and opportunity, some of which you can’t control.

In the meantime though I think the approach we’re taking of developing our own talent is a good one.

Im recent years smaller markets such as Milwaukee and Denver have won the Chip based largely on home grown talents.
Really they both won it because they won the ultimate player lottery and lucked into a couple of all-world players. Again luck has a lot to do with it. I doubt that Jokic or Giannis would be scrubs somewhere else. They would still have been great. Championships are won through luck in the draft, or smart roster building, and mostly both. We had 2 fantastic players, so we had the luck in the draft before, but we sucked at roster building so we blew it all up. Now we brought in the roster building guru in the hopes that he can build the right roster. But odds are very much against any of the 3 we drafted this year becoming the next Giannis. So hopefully Danny can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Really they both won it because they won the ultimate player lottery and lucked into a couple of all-world players. Again luck has a lot to do with it. I doubt that Jokic or Giannis would be scrubs somewhere else. They would still have been great. Championships are won through luck in the draft, or smart roster building, and mostly both. We had 2 fantastic players, so we had the luck in the draft before, but we sucked at roster building so we blew it all up. Now we brought in the roster building guru in the hopes that he can build the right roster. But odds are very much against any of the 3 we drafted this year becoming the next Giannis. So hopefully Danny can pull a rabbit out of his hat.
Well we already have a good one in Lauri.

Out of the 3 Hendricks has a high floor and moderate ceiling. He could be solid.

Keyonte to me has potentially a very high ceiling.

Im happy with who we got but time will tell.

Im bullish.

Dude put the effort every minute, young, good pro, good attitude, great physicals, good NBA toolkit, things to prove, will play hard, not a bad contract, still can explode some of his game, not a bad asset. I'm good with him around.

Yeah I’d rather have the cap space to sign other free agents or facilitate a team trying to get out of the luxury tax under he new rules.

I just don’t see him in our long term plans at all.
Prior to the Collins move (where we had maybe too much cap space to know what to do with relative to the trade upside) I would’ve wanted him to opt in but now I wish he hadn’t.

$11 million for another crack at THT isn't something to be wildly upset about or wildly excited by either way.

It's a contract that can easily be added to another deal as an expiring. It's also not an overpay for his skills. He gives us a guy who looked great at times and who grew from the start of the season to the end. He was TERRIBLE Oct - Jan and then looked decent to impressive the rest of the year even if he was inefficient. There was dramatic improvement which makes him promising adding to his value as a trade chip worst case scenario.

The way i see it, Dunn is the one that doesn't fit the timeline at 29, just like Clarkson doesn't. it seems that there are three 'timelines' going on here, the almost thirtyish (Clarkson, Dunn, Olynyk) the 25ish (Lauri, Collins, Fontechio, Sexton) and the newbies (All this year and last year's draft picks and THT) the trick to long term success for an NBA team is to have the next wave of players ready as the older ones phaze out. We have two to three years of Collins's contract to experience while the rooks are working out the bugs in their games, and at least one year of Dunn and THT as well. It's not the end of the world, that's what the Stars are for, none of the draft picks are immediately ready for full time minutes in the league, and to have veterans to not only learn from but play against in practice can only do them good. i'm fine with an extended timetable, and as the thirtyish go away, they will get real time on the floor. (as for keeping THT, sure as long as he trims up and tightens his game. fifteen roster spots is a lot of space, and the new rookies have a lot to prove for me)

The way i see it, Dunn is the one that doesn't fit the timeline at 29, just like Clarkson doesn't. it seems that there are three 'timelines' going on here, the almost thirtyish (Clarkson, Dunn, Olynyk) the 25ish (Lauri, Collins, Fontechio, Sexton) and the newbies (All this year and last year's draft picks and THT) the trick to long term success for an NBA team is to have the next wave of players ready as the older ones phaze out. We have two to three years of Collins's contract to experience while the rooks are working out the bugs in their games, and at least one year of Dunn and THT as well. It's not the end of the world, that's what the Stars are for, none of the draft picks are immediately ready for full time minutes in the league, and to have veterans to not only learn from but play against in practice can only do them good. i'm fine with an extended timetable, and as the thirtyish go away, they will get real time on the floor. (as for keeping THT, sure as long as he trims up and tightens his game. fifteen roster spots is a lot of space, and the new rookies have a lot to prove for me)
Fitting the timeline is more than just age. It is also about their stock. Is it rising, falling, or staying steady, or likely to do one of those, over the next 5-6 years. For our guys, Clarkson's stock is high and rising. He will be in demand as a free agent. We will therefore likely be overpaying to keep him when the rest of our guys are ready to go. So he will likely not be kept. Olynyk's stock is steady. He is a known variable. So a team somewhere would like to have him, but no one is throwing $50 mill per year at him that is for sure. So he is likely to be on a relatively team-friendly deal in 5 years or so. Dunn is like Olynyk right now, although his stock is rising a bit more. But he still has a lot to prove. But likely by the time he gets his stock going up his age will catch up with him, and it will all level out. Therefore he is also likely to be on a team-friendly deal in that time frame. So for me, I could see us holding onto Dunn and even KO, as when we are ready to go, we will need some savvy vets like them in those spots to give us that depth needed for a strong regular season and a deep playoff run. And they are likely to be relatively affordable at that time. Clarkson I would imagine will cost too much and take too much away from the young guys we need to get ready to go in that time frame. So keeping Dunn and KO at least for now I think is a good idea. But as much as I love Clarkson, he kind of doesn't fit long term for this team, so he probably needs to be moved for other assets if possible.