What's new

Tibor Pleiss

He doesn't seem to be very explosive and looks too weak to bang with NBA centers, can't weigh more than 210. Needs to get much bigger to be able to hold his own against Perkins in training.

And has some moves in the low post. I say bring him over to pair him up with Booker and let's see what he's got.

I love how he keeps the ball high. Makes it much harder to defend. His moves are quick, too.

He is a bit lean, but today's NBA isn't nearly as big as even 10 years ago. I would think they could bring him over right away.

I'm just stoked he's a real person.

Good thing he's tall because he will get his **** rocked by some of the athletes in the NBA - if he ever decides to play over here.

And he's 25 already. I doubt he has much upside. Wasted asset, should have insisted on someone else, even an additional pick that could be a draft and stash for a young, promising Euro. Jazz got screwed on this trade.

I can't help thinking that if the Jazz waned an awkward tall european they could have simply skipped Kanter and drafted Jonas or Monty.

Oh well, they'd made the most out of crummy situation.

Y'all are completely, 100% underestimating this dude.

He was SUPPOSED to be here this season. 31st pick of 2010-- only reason he went 2nd round was because he was euro (a la Pekovic situation). OKC had EVERY intention of bringing him over-- but they couldnt without staying under the luxury tax (they have the cheapest ****ing owner in the NBA, side-note).

The Oklahoma City Thunder tried to reach a deal that would've allowed 7-foot-1 Tibor Pleiss to join the NBA this season, but the buyout provision on his European deal remained too prohibitive, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Pleiss, 24, was the 31st overall pick of the 2010 NBA draft and has developed into one of Europe's better center prospects. Thunder officials knew bringing Pleiss to the NBA this season was something of a long shot, but made a bid based on the fact that Pleiss had shown an inclination to leave Laboral Vitoria of the Spanish ACB this season if a contract agreement could be reached, sources said.

Nevertheless, the buyout clause of approximately $1 million on Pleiss' Laboral contract made the move too difficult, and Laboral cut a deal for Pleiss to sign with FC Barcelona for the 2014-15 season. Oklahoma City's plan had been to focus on bringing Pleiss to the NBA in the 2015-16 season, and that still remains the most likely scenario, sources said.

The Thunder are allowed to pay $600,000 toward a player's buyout as part of his contract, but the salary the Thunder could've paid Pleiss to come play in the NBA – and still remain under the luxury-tax threshold – proved to be too little.

Marca first reported Pleiss' deal with FC Barcelona.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--tibor-pleiss-to-remain-in-europe-this-season-000403548.html

Tony Jones ‏@Tjonessltrib 2h2 hours ago
Source tells the tribune Tibor Pleiss may leave his team in Barcelona soon, could be immediately available to jazz if FO chooses

Likely, because I think the Jazz are currently at 12 players. The NBA mandates that they have 13 on contract.

I'm assuming they'll pick up Jack Cooley, buy out Perkins, and probably try to bring Pleiss over.

Tony Jones ‏@Tjonessltrib 2h2 hours ago
Source tells the tribune Tibor Pleiss may leave his team in Barcelona soon, could be immediately available to jazz if FO chooses

Likely, because I think the Jazz are currently at 12 players. The NBA mandates that they have 13 on contract.

I'm assuming they'll pick up Jack Cooley, buy out Perkins, and probably try to bring Pleiss over.

"Soon" as in....right now....this season? That would be cool to get a closer look at him.

you're sure he wasn't talking about the pick okc sent to denver? Cuz I know that pick was top 18 protected.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm going off of hear-say on twitter.

Looks like his standing reach is only slightly shorter than Rudy's, just based on how little he has to jump to dunk. Can't teach 7ft2 and coordinated either. He has good touch too, so maybe he can teach Rudy that little lefty jump hook.

Pleiss is a unique player. Watching the video it seems:

-He has good hands
-He's always looking for the ball
-For his height he has Gobert-like coordination
-He has some nice moves around the basket
-He's coordinated
-Fundamentally sound
-Not as explosive as Gobert
-Has a soft shooting touch
-He's not a wuss (see video below)

Questions:

-Can he pass?