What's new

Tomic

Hard to believe we drafted this guy seven years ago and people still believe he'll come to the states.

Here's some food for thought:
-
Cap this year = 62 million
-
Cap in two years = 108 million
-
Tomic could come over on a two year deal and potentially be set up for a big payday when his contract ends, as even mid-level players will be making silly money by then.

I would love to see Tomic back up Rudy and I would like to see Booker back up Favors. Hopefully the Jazz can get Tomic over on a great contract, three to four years.

Sounds like he would work well with what the Jazz are trying to do. It's going to take a pretty lucrative contract to pry him from Barcelona, it seems. From what I understand, he's quite happy making okay money over there and isn't overly concerned with coming to the NBA. So I think using money as a lure would be a wise expenditure this offseason.

He's been overseas (from our perspective) to work on his game and get better. That time has come. Time to pull the trigger and get him integrated to Quin's system.

Bringing tomic over is really the only essential move the jazz have to make this offseason (besides the draft) imo.

-
-
-
Tomic could come over on a two year deal and potentially be set up for a big payday when his contract ends, as even mid-level players will be making silly money by then.

If Tomic was going to come over, now would be the time. Sign a two year deal, be solid off the bench in Utah, in two years sign a big deal with the Lakers or NY. Every Euro's dream scenario.

I really like Tomic. There are some things to consider. He's not coming here to be a 4th big and the Jazz have enough of a spacing nightmare with Favors and Gobert. Tomic isn't a floor-spacer or a defender and that's always a gamble when you could really use at least one of those things (you usually do). Also, is anyone worried at all about how thin the frontcourt is in terms of body type?

Anyway, I really like Tomic. He's a piece that could fit. But maybe someone else would fit better (Kaminsky [scrapper, high-IQ, floor-spacer]? Porzingis [tantalizing perimeter skills and mobility which has translated and could translate into strong help D]?)???

I like Tomic a lot.

Fourth big? Behind who? Booker? Granted, Booker is a great hustle player, but if Tomic is better, he would likely get the time. What I don't know and would like to know is if Tomic can play the PF spot. That would open things up quite a bit for him and us.

Edit: yeesh, when did he become 7'1? I thought I remember him being 6'11 when we 'drafted' him. Either he grew or I minimised his size in my mind along with his interest in coming over.

Last edited:
I'm sticking to the we won't ever see Tomic in a Jazz uni track. Just won't happen. Neither will Neto. I hope I'm wrong, but I sure don't think so.

Also I have been watching more video on him and reading about him and I think he is greatly over-rated on this board.

I'm sticking to the we won't ever see Tomic in a Jazz uni track. Just won't happen. Neither will Neto. I hope I'm wrong, but I sure don't think so.

Also I have been watching more video on him and reading about him and I think he is greatly over-rated on this board.

Agreed with all of this.

Is probably Europe's most talent center. The Utah Jazz own his draft rights. Mere finances stand in the way of him donning the note on his chest. This is awesome, guys.

I think more than "mere finances stand in the way." I think his desire to come to the NBA or not is the bigger issue. Maybe the Jazz should sign one of his countrymen too, like they did with Exum and Ingles, to make Tomic more comfortable.

I think more than "mere finances stand in the way." I think his desire to come to the NBA or not is the bigger issue. Maybe the Jazz should sign one of his countrymen too, like they did with Exum and Ingles, to make Tomic more comfortable.

So his "desire to come to the NBA" as no relation to finances? OK brough, that's some stupid **** right there.

If Tomic was going to come over, now would be the time. Sign a two year deal, be solid off the bench in Utah, in two years sign a big deal with the Lakers or NY. Every Euro's dream scenario.

I kind of imagine he will want the money Mirotic got. So 2yr 12 million probably.

-
-
-

This is a great point I hadn't though of... the difference in dollars between what he'll make here and what he's currently making won't be much, but if he is good and signs a two year deal he could easily get $10M per when the cap rises. He'll be 30-31 years old and still have a few really good years left.

I just realised this offseason's gonna be especially tough ... considering how good our team is, can't wait for the season to start up again.

Like I said in the "General SPorts" forum...The Jazz would be better than a bunch of the playoff teams already in.

Jazz would have a great to reasonable chance against about 8 play off teams. Now I know the Jazz wouldn'y be facing those 8 or so teams but they'd be better than several of the teams that are imo.