What's new

Too Many Question Marks

Wish the Jazz were a bit more like the Heat. Donovan Mitchell has to make an actual commitment to defense. Now that he is the most visible face of the franchise he has to commit to defense more than he has been. The rest of the team started taking their lead from Mitchell and have been lazy on defense expecting Gobert to do everything. That's where the main changes have to happen, not the roster.

KSL really trashed Bradley and Ingles in their article about the 32 free agents the Jazz might have some interest in. Perhaps the front office is thinking sew up Clarkson and let's go shopping and make a deal. It sounded like Gobert and Spida are the only untouchables. I don't think it is a good sign that Ingles has said he wants to finish his career playing in Australia.

Looking at Niang versus Duncan Robinson you can clearly see how a player's physical profile can make all the difference. Two players with similar length and skillset. But Robinson is much more gifted physically with good quickness which allows him to play as a SF or even a SG with size advantage. Whereas Niang will always be at a matchup disadvantage physically because of his tweener body that makes him too slow against most guards and too small against most forwards.

KSL really trashed Bradley and Ingles in their article about the 32 free agents the Jazz might have some interest in. Perhaps the front office is thinking sew up Clarkson and let's go shopping and make a deal. It sounded like Gobert and Spida are the only untouchables. I don't think it is a good sign that Ingles has said he wants to finish his career playing in Australia.
I love Joe but that 14mil extension guaranteed through his 35th birthday is not a very good business.

Bradley was the first out of the program and he clearly outplayed Davis and unless matchups were in favor of Morgan, he played better but this discussion went from Quin to DL. I wish we had more rotation players but they aren't usually the 11 to 15 guys. Denver had 5 guys that never have played against us. I am sure they did not say why don't we try Keita-Bates on Mitchell.

Again, Quin didn't have much to do with Green and Davis not panning out. That moved everyone up a spot on rotation.

Morgan had minutes at center in earlier games too but he was outsized and it wasn't like his timing on contests were great. We did not lose because Quin did not try Morgan at center or took him out of starting line-up.

I think they know what to expect from the development guys. Basing everything on spot minutes there and there is not really a good way to evaluate players. We can make space for them in the rotation if they impress next season.
I’m not just talking about the Denver series. We hardly ever used Morgan as a 5 in non-garbage time. We did in Houston and he was great. There was one other game where we may have done it. Regardless the Morgan lineups were almost all super positive and in the Houston game he was like +11. He was used as a center in the g league and dominated. Then we use him as a PF and just put him in the corner... G league is to get reps but those reps don’t mean a lot of you are used completely different in the varsity league.

DL didn’t do Quin any favors and I recognize that but Quin also has to coach from the playoffs backwards when deciding which guys are getting rotation minutes and what schemes we can run. TB is at best a Kanter type... those guys can’t play in the playoffs if you want to be successful. So maybe commit to a guy that has a shot.

Denver had 5 guys that didn’t play... because their other guys were better. Some of those guys could absolutely play for us. We could have done Quin a solid and waived NWG for a functional player... or at least get a better project...

And again it’s more about knowing what we have now... and we don’t know.

Wish the Jazz were a bit more like the Heat. Donovan Mitchell has to make an actual commitment to defense. Now that he is the most visible face of the franchise he has to commit to defense more than he has been. The rest of the team started taking their lead from Mitchell and have been lazy on defense expecting Gobert to do everything. That's where the main changes have to happen, not the roster.
I agree with DM needing to play better defense but he isn’t the reason the other guys suck at defense... he didn’t make Mike smaller or Niang less athletic... certainly didn’t pick TB and make him the anchor of the bench defense. Rudy decided to sulk for a few weeks which didn’t help the defense either. DM needs to do better for sure but we need better personnel on that end.

Not sure if it’s a possibility but I’d be happy with Udoh and Harrison. Not like there’s a ton of time go around anyway. Gives us 48 minutes of dominant d at the C position and some wing help. Draft BPA and develop the young guys, namely Morgan and Brantley. That could be a really good team. One move at the deadline and who knows.
I’d honestly consider that an in-the-park home run. Unfortunately we may have to settle for the impressive lift on a fly out to left-center. But we may endure some people arguing about the unappreciated value of advancing guys tagging up, without mentioning that we had nobody on base.

I agree with DM needing to play better defense but he isn’t the reason the other guys suck at defense... he didn’t make Mike smaller or Niang less athletic... certainly didn’t pick TB and make him the anchor of the bench defense. Rudy decided to sulk for a few weeks which didn’t help the defense either. DM needs to do better for sure but we need better personnel on that end.
He's the reason. It's a culture thing. Heat have plenty of guys who are small and still play D. Goran Dragic isnt some giant. Tyler Herro isnt some giant. Jae Crowder could barely move his feet in Utah. Duncan Robinson isnt some athlete.

It starts with your best players and if one of them isnt pulling his weight it trickles down. Jimmy and Bam are the Heat's two best and they are both equally committed defenders. Cant say the same about Donovan and Rudy.

And Rudy had every right to be pissed. Dudes arent out there trying on D like he is.

It’s both, actually. There’s no denying that we don’t have a full complement of defenders. Like, no ****ing way.

He's the reason. It's a culture thing. Heat have plenty of guys who are small and still play D. Goran Dragic isnt some giant. Tyler Herro isnt some giant. Jae Crowder could barely move his feet in Utah. Duncan Robinson isnt some athlete.

It starts with your best players and if one of them isnt pulling his weight it trickles down. Jimmy and Bam are the Heat's two best and they are both equally committed defenders. Cant say the same about Donovan and Rudy.

And Rudy had every right to be pissed. Dudes arent out there trying on D like he is.
Heat culture didn’t start with Jimmy doe. Their organization is top notch and there are many reasons why. They have a lot of built in market advantages but they are also worlds more aggressive than us. They had nothing to great to offer and come out of the trade deadline with Andre, Jae. They have no cap space and finesse their way into Jimmy.

They have made a ton of mistakes in contracts they handed out and always find a way out. They do sneaky **** too like waive Mcgrider to duck the tax knowing clips will pick him up then sign a guy to a backend of the roster to get him into camp and have his right... then they drafted guy makes it onto the all nba rookie team.

Spo has the balls to start Nunn over Goran because it works better that way. Will bench anyone to make the matchups work. Switches defensive schemes to **** with opponents.

They are better than us by a lot.

It’s both, actually. There’s no denying that we don’t have a full complement of defenders. Like, no ****ing way.
The heat have size and athleticism advantages at a lot of positions. Playing two guys that are 6’1” and 6’3” (maybe) isn’t a great start. If Mike or DM was as nasty as Lowry on defense maybe it works out.

All depends on the circumstances. Brandon Ingram was a talent hidden by the dumpster fire that was the Lakers. Julius Randle excelled in NOLA when there was some sort of system. Jordan Clarkson shined for us after wasting away in LA and Cle. Jerami Grant is shining in Denver.

Sometimes, there are young players who desperately need a change of scenery.
Fwiw grant shined last year with OKC but he clearly took a step forward this year. Nuggets staff have shown to be top of league when it comes to player development

Heat culture didn’t start with Jimmy doe. Their organization is top notch and there are many reasons why. They have a lot of built in market advantages but they are also worlds more aggressive than us. They had nothing to great to offer and come out of the trade deadline with Andre, Jae. They have no cap space and finesse their way into Jimmy.

They have made a ton of mistakes in contracts they handed out and always find a way out. They do sneaky **** too like waive Mcgrider to duck the tax knowing clips will pick him up then sign a guy to a backend of the roster to get him into camp and have his right... then they drafted guy makes it onto the all nba rookie team.

Spo has the balls to start Nunn over Goran because it works better that way. Will bench anyone to make the matchups work. Switches defensive schemes to **** with opponents.

They are better than us by a lot.

He benched Goran to conserve him for the playoffs.

Exactly. Cy is a moron. Blaming Don when Conley is the main issue with this team. He is a liability on D and not a fit in offense. Blaming Don of all things? Could Don do better? Of course.

Conley is still the issue. He's why we don't have depth, we lose more with him than without, etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app