What's new

Top 10 PGs,Mid 10 PGs,Bottom 10 PGs Where's Burke's Rank

It seemed to me that Burke was very good at point the first few weeks he played, but he got progressively worse as the season wore on. (Eyeball test, not stats.) If this is true, then some would argue that it was because of opposing teams scouting him. My theory is that early on, Burke was playing by instinct, but as the season progressed his play reflected Corbin's influence. I saw the same thing happen to Kanter, where the guy was a defensive beast and a rebounding machine his rookie year, but both of those positives turned into huge negatives the longer he played for Corbin.

Trey Burke's was Corbins pick.He pushed for the trade to move up in the draft to get Burke.From day 1 Trey Burke became Corbin's PG.What rookie PG could ask for more ,the table was setup for Burke to be successful.
Corbin wasn't good for most of the young players but debaters here can't point to Coach Corbin as being a negative for Trey Burke,not his biggest backer.Trey Burke was the one that shot so poorly.It is Burke's lack of athleticism and speed that makes him a poor defender and have trouble finishing at the basket.
Most here that defend Burke use words like ...probably he will ....I think he will...he should be able too,well good, rate him as a PG so we know what all this probably,think and should mean as a PG

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];889950 said:
you might... but not for long.
Of those, I'd take Calderon, MCW, Beverly and probably Payton, over Burke.
Beverly is an excellent perimeter defender but other than that, he is not even a PG, just an undersized SG imo. Calderon is a terrific shooter but probably one of the worst defenders in the entire NBA, not to mention his age. I don't like MCW's game at all, hate his outside shooting and turnovers. The only thing he's clearly better than Burke is his rebounding, which doesn't make it up for me.

However you guys might be right about Payton. Time will tell. I'm thinking the extra competition that Burke will be getting from Exum will benefit him this year.

Last edited:
It seemed to me that Burke was very good at point the first few weeks he played, but he got progressively worse as the season wore on. (Eyeball test, not stats.) If this is true, then some would argue that it was because of opposing teams scouting him. My theory is that early on, Burke was playing by instinct, but as the season progressed his play reflected Corbin's influence. I saw the same thing happen to Kanter, where the guy was a defensive beast and a rebounding machine his rookie year, but both of those positives turned into huge negatives the longer he played for Corbin.
Lol.
Gotta love Corbin.

Trey Burke's was Corbins pick.He pushed for the trade to move up in the draft to get Burke.From day 1 Trey Burke became Corbin's PG.What rookie PG could ask for more ,the table was setup for Burke to be successful.
Corbin wasn't good for most of the young players but debaters here can't point to Coach Corbin as being a negative for Trey Burke,not his biggest backer.Trey Burke was the one that shot so poorly.It is Burke's lack of athleticism and speed that makes him a poor defender and have trouble finishing at the basket.
Most here that defend Burke use words like ...probably he will ....I think he will...he should be able too,well good, rate him as a PG so we know what all this probably,think and should mean as a PG

Just because Corbin was the one wanted him doesn't mean he affected him positively.

Burke had one of the worst offensive ratings of all starting PGs(second worst eFG) in the league last year and his defense was abysmal, too. It's really hard justifying putting him anywhere above the last 5 starting PGs in the league, and he's possibly below 5-10 of the non-starting PGs.

butt he finished 3rd in teh rookie of the year voting~!!11!!

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];889743 said:
Maybe if Atlanta is having a middling year with no serious upside, they'll decide to cash in their assets and expirings....

If so, we could trade them Burke, Kanter, and a pick for Teague and Millsap. Maybe Kanter goes to a third team and ATL gets another pick, since they're stocked with PFs.

Why would Atl. Want Burke and Kanter for Millsap and Teague? They lose talent, with as bad as the east is, they will be decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would Atl. Want Burke and Kanter for Millsap and Teague? They lose talent, with as bad as the east is, they will be decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's mainly just me dreaming, but they get a pick from us, and they could parlay Burke and Kanter for more picks. They have young guys waiting to take over Teague and Millsap's positions.

And you should have also noticed that I prefaced all of this with the condition that they underperformed or something like that.

THAT'S WHY, BRU

The good news is if Burke doesn't work out and Exum stays at SG, there's a long list of guys who are better than Burke and we can sign one of them.

I think Burke is ultimately in the Kemba Walker / Ty Lawson tier. Lets see how he does in his second year. But yeah, I'm on board with Exum taking the starting job.

Kevin Pelton says Burke and Exum will be in the 10-15 range next year. I think the hot summer brings on a craving for

Haterade_bottle.png

Kevin Pelton of ESPN.com rated the top point guards in WARP for next year. For those of you who don't know what WARP is it is:

WARP stands for Wins Above Replacement Player. The term and concept are borrowed from sabermetrics and, specifically, Baseball Prospectus. Conceptually, the WARP system seeks to evaluate players in the context of a team made up of them and four completely average players. The performance of this team is then compared to that of a team made up of four average players and one replacement-level player. The method draws heavily on the work of Dean Oliver. (h/t) Sonics Central

So now that we have that figured out, where does Dante Exum and Trey Burke lie on this rater?

Somewhere between 10-15.

That's mainly because he's a huge fan of Exum, and because his statistical models project Exum to be one of the best players in this draft. I think he even said he would have taken him at No. 1 after Embiid's injury.

There was another insider article yesterday laying out top 10 pgs. It went on to list burke in the next 5 so the mainstream guys are not nearly as down on him as jazz fans seem to be.

There was another insider article yesterday laying out top 10 pgs. It went on to list burke in the next 5 so the mainstream guys are not nearly as down on him as jazz fans seem to be.

That's the same article Jazz4ever is quoting, or using the same projection(WARP) as basis for the conclusions.

I think it has more to do with how loaded the position is than with Burke hate. If every position was as strong as the PG is right now then the NBA would be in a magical era that would put the 90's dream team to shame.

Not sure if I had a point or not, but if I did it was that maybe Burke has more trade value than we might believe in the event Dante starts to take control of the position. I hope DL and co can evaluate if Burke and Dante can coexist quickly before anyone else in the league sniffs a fire sale.