What's new

Top 5 favorite Utah restuarants.

Agreed Baja Cantina is bomb, great location too. Perfect for after the Alpine slides and then you can hit up a little Chocolate Factory right after.

Anybody know if the Idle Isle Cafe is still in business in Brigham City? I used to love that place way back.

Agreed Baja Cantina is bomb, great location too. Perfect for after the Alpine slides and then you can hit up a little Chocolate Factory right after.

Word. I've stayed in that Marriott that's right there a few times too so I have no idea how I had never eaten there before. Anybody remember Texas Red's BBQ? That's the eating spot in Park City I wish were still around. Loved that place.

Last edited:
Word. I've stayed in that Marriott that's right there a few times too so I have no idea how I had never eaten there before. Anybody remember Texas Red's BBQ? That's the eating spot in Park City I wish were still around. Loved that place.

It might warrant it's own thread but...

Is it possible to get good BBQ in Utah? I think a few decent places have tried to give it a go but demand isn't there so after a while the freshness and quality begin to suffer and then they spiral downward until they give up. Sad.

Why don't Utahns love 'em some authentic BBQ?

Is it possible to get good BBQ in Utah? I think a few decent places have tried to give it a go but demand isn't there so after a while the freshness and quality begin to suffer and then they spiral downward until they give up. Sad.

For most Utahns Famous Dave's is as close as it gets, and it is passable, I guess. I don't mind their sauce and they have some good deserts. Their brisket is a sin, plain and simple. Sometimes, very rarely, it is done properly. Most often it was obviously cooked for the dinner rush at way too high a temp (for brisket even 25 degrees over temp is too high...need to hold that 225 mark for a good long time). Their ribs are decent.

I do all my bbq at home the old fashioned way, so I don't go to many bbq restaurants, other than the rib cookoff at the Nugget in Reno. That is AWESOME.

This weekend I am smoking an 8 lb bone in pork butt. Making up some nice backwoods vinegar splash and my own version of KC sauce, which you will want to eat with a spoon, and some creamy and vinegary slaw for sammiches. Love pulling that thing apart and eating the hot fresh crispy bark. Next weekend I am doing a 1/2 brisket (about 7 lbs) that I got from a neighbor who raised his own cattle. The steaks we had from it were maybe the best steaks I ever had, especially after dry-aging the whole rib-eye for about a week.

I have heard that Good Woods (Wood?) is pretty, um, good. Haven't been there.

I like dickies barbeque.... though I wish they mashed potatoes and gravy as one of the sides.

There is a new bbq place in sugarhouse that smells amazing when you drive by. I really should try it out.

Been there once. It was about the same quality as Famous Daves, but (iirc) a tad more expensive.
I was about to compare the two. Very similar. Not terrible and I'd eat at either but no where near legit bbq. There's a few places in Draper I need to try that are bbq joints. I think Dickies is one and I don't know the other but I drive by it every day.

I was about to compare the two. Very similar. Not terrible and I'd eat at either but no where near legit bbq. There's a few places in Draper I need to try that are bbq joints. I think Dickies is one and I don't know the other but I drive by it every day.

Been to Dickies in Orem once. It's fast food BBQ. Cheaper, probably significantly cheaper, than either Famous Daves of Goodwood. But not as good. And definitely not "legit BBQ".

I'm excited to try Five Star BBQ in Orem, recommended by someone else earlier in the thread. Maybe that'll be closer to legit.

Dickies is pretty bad. I judge BBQ a lot on their BBQ sauce, and theirs is basically water.

dat jazzfanz.com mobile app doe

Holy Smokes in Layton is the Best BBQ in Utah that I've had. Ribs and hot sausage with their Sweet & Heat sauce is great

Dickies is pretty bad. I judge BBQ a lot on their BBQ sauce, and theirs is basically water.

dat jazzfanz.com mobile app doe

I just went to dickies for dinner tonight and you are right about the sauce.
The ribs were really good, but the brisqet wasn't due to the poor sauce.

Thier jalapeno cheddar sausage is pretty dope though

I just went to dickies for dinner tonight and you are right about the sauce.
The ribs were really good, but the brisqet wasn't due to the poor sauce.

Thier jalapeno cheddar sausage is pretty dope though

If you are relying on sauce to make brisket good, then it isn't good brisket to begin with. Brisket cooked right needs very little else with it to be fantastic.

If you are relying on sauce to make brisket good, then it isn't good brisket to begin with. Brisket cooked right needs very little else with it to be fantastic.

For realz? Are you cereal? I guess I never jad good brisket then.
Every time I have ever had brisket it has lackd flavor and needed lots o sauce

I have heard that Good Woods (Wood?) is pretty, um, good. Haven't been there.

I went to the Goodwood in Provo/Orem a couple weeks ago. I thought it was good. I think it was about 40 bucks after tip for just my wife and I for just the entrees (we rarely order appetizer or sodas). My wife got the baby back ribs and I got the prime rib. She didn't like the mashed potatoes nor the mac and cheese she got as sides. But the free chocolate cake we got for her birthday was heavenly.

Been to Dickies in Orem once. It's fast food BBQ. Cheaper, probably significantly cheaper, than either Famous Daves of Goodwood. But not as good. And definitely not "legit BBQ".

I'm excited to try Five Star BBQ in Orem, recommended by someone else earlier in the thread. Maybe that'll be closer to legit.

I've gad 5 star because of a recommendation. I can't say I would recommend it.

I love barbecue.

I can say with out a doubt the best barbecue in the state is at Big Al's Texas BBQ in Provo. Its on University Ave and about 1000 s.

Better hurry and try it cuz like Gameface said, a lot of restaurants start to let their quality suffer after a while.

Mexican - La Frontera

Italian - Main street Pizza and noodle in Park City. (Best Lasagna ever)