What's new

Top 5 Targets for Summer 2018

Most Important thing this off season is to strengthen our 2nd unit. The only reliable guys are Jae and Royce and maybe even Exum ( depending on how he develops). We also need a stretch 4 to bring out the best from DM and Rudy. Here's my list of potential free agents and trades that I'd love to see:
1.Nikola Mirotic- If the Pelicans are going to re-sign Boogie then most likely they won't be able to fit him in their cap space.
2.Kyle Kuzma- The lakers are looking to dump deng and kuzma could come along with him as LA values Lonzo and BI more. He would be the perfect 3rd star on this team and his defense(ik it's bad ryt now) could improve over time.
3.Arson Illyasova- He would come cheap but a little old and may soon be on the decline.
4.Paul George
5.Aaron Gordon(around 15-20M/year)

Can DMC really play the 4?

According to basketball reference that is where he spent 80% of his minutes... good enough rebounder and big enough to guard most.

Look at our first two series this year... can he guard melo? Yes. Anderson/tucker/Luc? Yes. Can chase around the big wings playing the four and a good spot up shooter.

He’s a little redundant with Jae.

Paul George
Avery Bradley

Those are two players who I think fit with what we are trying to do.

But my question is... how do we address the Rockets? What piece can we add will help us beat them? Clint Capela seems to be owning Favors/Gobert. Athletic PF/Center as the yin to that yang...

It needs to be an ATHLETIC stretch 5 really. That has to come from the draft methinks.

But my question is... how do we address the Rockets? What piece can we add will help us beat them? Clint Capela seems to be owning Favors/Gobert.

Houston and Golden State are the type opponents that make Favors a backup and lessen his effect on the game. He simply can't stay on the floor with PJ Tucker/Ariza at the 4 or Iggy/Durant at the 4. I mean he can, but does it do more harm than good?

Hypothetically, if we had Crowder and DeMarre Carroll (or Aaron Gordon or Tobias Harris, etc.), we would have a smaller, more agile starter at PF who can shoot the 3 and a similar guy off the bench. Let's just say Crowder starts tonight, which is possible, who do we have who can play small 4 off our bench? We used Ingles there some Sunday, but he's really the only option we have. And he's our starting SF. Thabo would help, but he's hurt. Jerekbo really isn't an option because he can't keep up.

Houston and Golden State are elite at flexibility. Houston has PJ Tucker, Mbah a Moute, Ryan Anderson, and Ariza who can all play SF or PF. Even Gordon plays some SF. Golden State has Draymond, Durant, and Iggy with Thompson playing some SF too. We need to be able to provide players to match up with their flexibility. That's how we address it.

Just wait for a team to max Capela this offseason.

We don’t need to beat the Rockets, just outlast them.

Exactly - no way Houston is able to keep that squad together. To keep Paul and Capela with Harden's deal they'd have to gut the rest of the team.

Besides - they'll probably break up anyway after we beat them!

This is a fun exercise. Here are 5 I would have interest in.

1) Aaron Gordon - Reasons: a) His age and timeline fits the Jazz since he is less than a year older than Mitchell (barely). b) I think his on and off-court character fits the Jazz. When he was in Arizona one of his strengths was understanding a system and playing within it (defensive rotations, offensive movement). c) He is a versatile player with a lot of upside. Remember, he has been in Orlando who does not develop players. In fact, I think he is the Orlando player that made the most improvement over the last few years (as opposed to Payton, Super Mario, Vuevic, etc.), so think what he could do in a program that specializes in development.

2) Paul George - He obviously could fit, but I think he would not like his offensive role on the Jazz and this would create locker room issues. Also, he is not going to come to Utah.

3) George Hill - He is overpriced, but at some point next year his expiring/non-guaranteed contract becomes a very valuable asset. Possibly helping the Jazz create cap space or facilitate a trade (hello portland/washington/pelicans/etc.). Also, I think he would fit with this version of the team even better than last year's.

4) Luc Mbah a Moute - I think he would fit our team well. A good defender and versatile player on offense. He also seems to have a high IQ.

5) Jrue Holiday - This one is kind of cheating because it would be a midseason acquisition if the Pelicans decide to blow it up and send AD to Boston, then I would target Jrue (Rubio & AB?, George Hill?). He would be a great match with Donovan.

Exactly - no way Houston is able to keep that squad together. To keep Paul and Capela with Harden's deal they'd have to gut the rest of the team.

Besides - they'll probably break up anyway after we beat them!

Rockets best chances are the next year or two... CP getting old and they will be capped out.

GSW are the team to worry about. If KD stays they can go for the nest 4-5 years... and KD will stay unless LBJ jedi mind tricks him into going to LA.

Realistically if we can't make a big trade for another all star level player to put next to DM and Rudy then I'm fine re-signing Exum (Maybe 3 yrs at 6-8 mill per) and Favors (1 year at any salary it takes) and rocking with basically the same group for another season. We have a good group that likes playing together. And when healthy we know they can win a lot. So why not? Then in the summer of 2019 we'll have Rubio, Favs and Burks contracts all coming off of the books and we'll have options.

According to basketball reference that is where he spent 80% of his minutes... good enough rebounder and big enough to guard most.

Look at our first two series this year... can he guard melo? Yes. Anderson/tucker/Luc? Yes. Can chase around the big wings playing the four and a good spot up shooter.

I'm not sure this is comforting. He played for the Nets who were awful. Improved but still awful and I gotta think he's part of the reason why. 6.6 rebounds for a guy who plays the 4 80% of the time isn't very reassuring and I doubt he was much of a stopper defensively as I know they got killed on the interior. Is his 11.7% a good rebounding rate?

Carroll should be our 1st target. He can safely guard 2-4 and can play with pretty much any combination of Crowder, Jingles, O’Neale, Mitchell, Exum and Rubio. You really can’t have too many good perimeter defenders that can matchup with big wings when you have Houston, Golden State and OKC on the docket. He’d certainly help the team right now if they had him.