What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Trading for Barnes or Grant or… forget whoever else we’ve been discussing, will be very underwhelming.

Hadn't really sunk in to that Josh Richardson and Gary Harris are remarkably similar players statistically (the biggest difference is that Harris is an extremely poor rebounder; Richardson is just average/below average).

I don't know if Harris is back to being a Richardson-quality defender this year, though he clearly had been before injuries derailed his career (who watches Orlando, after all?), but if he is, they'd seem to be almost interchangeable on the Jazz's wish list.

I can't see the Jazz trading for Harris (his contract is less favorable), but assuming the Jazz would like to get one of the two would you:
a) Try to trade for Richardson with either Ingles/Clarkson as the return while also offering Boston a lottery-protected 2026 first?; Or,
b) Wait out the trade deadline, and hope that both Harris isn't traded and that he gets bought out by Orlando (genuinely possible scenario), and then hope to emerge victorious over other possible suitors for his services.

Would it make a difference if it was a second-round pick for Richardson instead?

I still don't think a deal like this will actually happen...but I will gladly eat my words if it does.

-Royce and Clarkson for Harrison Barnes straight up. (Sac does this cuz they’re win-now and these pieces make more sense for them now than Barnes. Barnes subs out early and mostly is the firepower for the bench units).
-Ingles and unprotecting the pick (and another sweetener that isn’t a 1st [JB?]) for Kenrich Williams
-sign House
-actually work the buyout market

Let’s do this. Gets us within spitting distance of ducking the tax. Also sets up nicely for a run at 2023 free agency (Jaylen Brown, Grant, Wood, not to mention Bojan and Barnes).

Last edited:
I wonder how worried the Jazz are about Bogey's finger?
Similarly, are other teams gonna wanna trade for him?

I think he’ll be fine by the playoffs. I also don’t think swapping him out for Barnes is good at all because he’s one of the pillars of making the offense work (because he knows it).

I would hope the Jazz have the cajones to not close with Barnes and Bogey for defensive reasons (if they got him without sending Bogey).

Last edited:
-Royce and Clarkson for Harrison Barnes straight up. (Barnes subs out early and mostly is the firepower for the bench units).
-Ingles and unprotecting the pick (and another sweetener that isn’t a 1st [JB?]) for Kenrich Williams
-sign House

Let’s do this. Gets us within spitting distance of ducking the tax. Also sets up nicely for a run at 2023 free agency (Jaylen Brown, Grant, Wood, not to mention Bojan and Barnes).
I'd go for this (not that I think the Kings would, but if they're at all concerned about wise team-building they probably should make sure they have other wing options than putting Barnes at the 3 along with Sabonis at the 4).

I'd still want to be able to find a Richardson/Harris type who could specialize as a guard defender without compromising our shooting (I don't trust House or Kenrich Williams to do that, even to the extent that I trust Royce). But we're behind the eight-ball with our assets, so we need something of a minor miracle to really materially change our chances.

I'd still want to be able to find a Richardson/Harris type who could specialize as a guard defender without compromising our shooting (I don't trust House or Kenrich Williams to do that, even to the extent that I trust Royce). But we're behind the eight-ball with our assets, so we need something of a minor miracle to really materially change our chances.
@infection you wanna take this?

Just kidding (kind of). I forgot to add that Forrest gets a real shot (at least in the regular season).

-Royce and Clarkson for Harrison Barnes straight up. (Sac does this cuz they’re win-now and these pieces make more sense for them now than Barnes. Barnes subs out early and mostly is the firepower for the bench units).
-sign House

Yes. All of this. Please.

Jerami Grant's offensive efficiency this season is in the same neighborhood as Clarkson's. This, combined with the Pistons' high asking price and Grant's desire for a new contract north of $100M, makes him risky. The assumption is that he'd be more efficient playing in a better offensive system with spacing and quality guards getting him the ball, plus Rudy's screens getting him open looks. His length, defense and high-end athleticism would give the Jazz a real shot of adrenaline. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Jazz prefer Barnes, just because he's safer. Ainge apparently pursued Barnes a year ago in Boston.