What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

According to basketball reference we have:
Rudy ($38.1M), Donovan ($30.3M), Conley ($22.6M), Bojan ($19.5M), Clarkson ($13.3M), Royce ($9.3M), Hernagomez ($6.6M), Gay ($6.1M), NAW ($5.0M), Udoka ($2.1M), and Butler ($1.5M). Add those up and it equals $154.9M. Waiving Hernagomez brings us to $148.3M.
That's for 10 players though. Once you fill out with 3 minimums at the least you are at 155M... we have work to do there.

You could also potentially make a trade or two with matching salary where you bring back more players then you send out.
Correct... its one of the low key ways to do it. The washington KCP, Ish for Conley deal save like 3M in salary but eats up another roster spot so it kinda save 4.8M.

Correct... its one of the low key ways to do it. The washington KCP, Ish for Conley deal save like 3M in salary but eats up another roster spot so it kinda save 4.8M.
With how adamant Ryan has been about having star power for the ASG I'm surprised he's that desperate to get under the luxury tax.

Gay has to go but i'm not sure who would take him. he still has value but he's the obvious choice salary wise besides Juancho
If they don't think he can be better than last year I would see if you could get him to agree to a buyout where he just gives back 2M (he will get a minimum somewhere) then I'd waive and stretch the remaining amount. Instead of a $6M cap hit this year and next its a $2M cap hit.

With how adamant Ryan has been about having star power for the ASG I'm surprised he's that desperate to get under the luxury tax.
Ryan will also look to reduce his salary. If you could save say $40M by being under the tax and getting a league distribution then you can rationalize a lot of moves "moving Don to PG will get him more usage and stats... and boom he's in the AS game even if we are a .500 team"

has him being desperate to get under the tax been reported, or just speculation? honest question. i mean, it's a logical thing to do since this isn't a title team

Signing 35 y/o Rudy Gay to a 3 year deal was smart...
To be fair I actually was good with the signing... now I didn't now the guy had major heel surgery in the offseason and that certainly would have been something they did or should have know. I still think he will have some good seasons, but this year was bad.

If they don't think he can be better than last year I would see if you could get him to agree to a buyout where he just gives back 2M (he will get a minimum somewhere) then I'd waive and stretch the remaining amount. Instead of a $6M cap hit this year and next its a $2M cap hit.
i'm 100% on board. he looks barbequed and done.

Ryan will also look to reduce his salary. If you could save say $40M by being under the tax and getting a league distribution then you can rationalize a lot of moves "moving Don to PG will get him more usage and stats... and boom he's in the AS game even if we are a .500 team"
Ryan is more concerned that All-Star weekend is a success then he is about building a contender, lol. No one even gives a damn about the ASG anymore...

To be fair I actually was good with the signing... now I didn't now the guy had major heel surgery in the offseason and that certainly would have been something they did or should have know. I still think he will have some good seasons, but this year was bad.
Gay on a 1 year deal would've been perfectly fine but how much did they expect him to contribute at 36/37...

has him being desperate to get under the tax been reported, or just speculation? honest question. i mean, it's a logical thing to do since this isn't a title team
That kind of info is never reported... owners don't want to look cheap. So you have to look at the transactions they make. The Houston owner was "always willing to spend well into the tax" and then every move he made would have him lowering salary.

Gay on a 1 year deal would've been perfectly fine but how much did they expect him to contribute at 36/37...
You usually pay a 1 "extra year on the contract" tax to get guys like him to not go for a minimum in LA or GS. I got the impression from the reporting that the seriousness of the surgery was a surprise to the team. I think they thought it was some minor cleanup type item and they expected him to be ready to start the season.

You usually pay a 1 "extra year on the contract" tax to get guys like him to not go for a minimum in LA or GS. I got the impression from the reporting that the seriousness of the surgery was a surprise to the team. I think they thought it was some minor cleanup type item and they expected him to be ready to start the season.
So essentially we're going to ride it out for a year so that All-Star weekend is fun, then blow up the roster? lol