What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Nah, Bogey doesn't require sitting half the games and he has versatility defensively and offensively. Bogey won't hamper the development of young players that require the ball in their hands like Conley does. Conleys gotta go.

What do we get value wise by keeping Bogey?

Some interesting comments from Romana Shelburne. Says the sense she gets from talking to people around the league and with the Jazz is that they can get deals done for Bogey, JC and Conley any time they want, but they're not in any hurry to do so and are going to take their time. Also says she's hearing that if the team gets off to a good start, the Jazz are going to let them play and see what happens.

From her comments, it doesn't sound like the Jazz are planning on tanking, and it doesn't sound like they're at all worried about having too much talent on the roster and winning too many games this season. Maybe this is all just posturing by the Jazz, who knows.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-8m9QFt65k

I don’t buy it. At least, it had better not be true. Shorting a rebuild is a recipe for abject mediocrity.

The only player we absolutely have to move is Bogey. He’s an expiring and has a ton of value right now. We do not get anything out of keeping him.

What do we get value wise by keeping Bogey?
Did you read past the second word of my response. He has versatility offensively and defensively. He's not a net negative for team development like Conley is. I can understand wanting to lose games and wanting to get rid of Bogey to open up minutes, but keeping him wont be detrimental to individual player development like Conley is. We should trade Bogey too, but Conley needs to go away as fast as possible.

Did you read past the second word of my response. He has versatility offensively and defensively. He's not a net negative for team development like Conley is. I can understand wanting to lose games and wanting to get rid of Bogey to open up minutes, but keeping him wont be detrimental to individual player development like Conley is. We should trade Bogey too, but Conley needs to go away as fast as possible.
How is Conley bad for player development or whatever?

I don’t buy it. At least, it had better not be true. Shorting a rebuild is a recipe for abject mediocrity.

Here is a longer clip I found with Windhorst's response to Shelburne's comment, it starts at the 4:10 mark. This definitely makes me feel better about things. He Says that if the Jazz start out well this season that would be an absolute disaster...they do not want to win because they want their pick to be as good as possible.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1egX9UVH8

How is Conley bad for player development or whatever?
Hi- are you new here? Did you miss the last few years where everyone was saying how Don should play the point, but he didn't and now we had to blow up the team because we had two small guards that cant defend and need the ball in their hands to be effective? What do you think Sexton is? Did he grow? Is he gonna help us out playing as a 2 because we have Conley who wont come off the bench and only has value as a point guard? Not to mention Conley's inability to stay healthy.

If we had moves ready to go for 1sts for each of those guys, I'm pulling the trigger even if they're protected (which I would expect anyway).

If we had moves ready to go for 1sts for each of those guys, I'm pulling the trigger even if they're protected (which I would expect anyway).
Ainge's value on unprotected picks isn't without merit, particular as far as the Laker's picks are. Assuming it's no bluff, he's probably got a soft deadline set with Palinka to make a choice. If not, simply make the other deals and call it good.

Ainge's value on unprotected picks isn't without merit, particular as far as the Laker's picks are. Assuming it's no bluff, he's probably got a soft deadline set with Palinka to make a choice. If not, simply make the other deals and call it good.
I trust Ainge knows what he's doing so I'm fine buying into the process. We've got five full weeks before the season begins.

Hi- are you new here? Did you miss the last few years where everyone was saying how Don should play the point, but he didn't and now we had to blow up the team because we had two small guards that cant defend and need the ball in their hands to be effective? What do you think Sexton is? Did he grow? Is he gonna help us out playing as a 2 because we have Conley who wont come off the bench and only has value as a point guard? Not to mention Conley's inability to stay healthy.
I think Conley is at a different point in his career now. I'm sure he would be OK with coming off the bench. Im sure he also knows Utah is trying to deal him. He's going to be fine on the team.

It may behoof the Jazz to keep Conley so they can trade his salary next year. If they deal all their vets right now, they will have absolutely no salary to use in trades. He will also have more value next season.

I think Conley is at a different point in his career now. I'm sure he would be OK with coming off the bench. Im sure he also knows Utah is trying to deal him. He's going to be fine on the team.
If that were the case I'd be fine keeping him, because the Jazz are short in the backup roll. You'd think his old *** would want to cut down on minutes anyway, especially since he apparently cant stay healthy and play everyday. I just don't want to see a Conley/Sexton backcourt together, yuck.
Not to mention his old *** will take yet another 2 years to get "acclimated" to a new offense.

Last edited:
If that were the case I'd be fine keeping him, because the Jazz are short in the backup roll. You'd think his old *** would want to cut down on minutes anyway, especially since he apparently cant stay healthy and play everyday. I just don't want to see a Conley/Sexton backcourt together, yuck.
The "too small backcourt" thing was greatly overstated with Donovan/Conley. We never failed because of lack of size at the guard spots.

Thanks for the condescension, dick head.

I don’t know where you get the idea that Collin Sexton isn’t basically who he is going to be, but maybe you’re right. Maybe Sexton can all of a sudden become Chris Paul, if not for that ******* Mike Conley.

Thanks for the condescension, dick head.

I don’t know where you get the idea that Collin Sexton isn’t basically who he is going to be, but maybe you’re right. Maybe Sexton can all of a sudden become Chris Paul, if not for that ******* Mike Conley.
Your response came off pretty dickish too or whatever, so you're welcome. For what it's worth, I would expect Sexton to make some strides, I don't think he's peaked as a player.

Here is a longer clip I found with Windhorst's response to Shelburne's comment, it starts at the 4:10 mark. This definitely makes me feel better about things. He Says that if the Jazz start out well this season that would be an absolute disaster...they do not want to win because they want their pick to be as good as possible.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1egX9UVH8

Windhorst's reasoning doesn't make total sense. Yes, he said that the Jazz want their pick to be as good as possible (unclear whether this is just him saying what he thinks "has to be true" or is coming from the Jazz themselves. But then he gives two more reasons: Jazz too close to the luxury tax and Jazz have too many players.

Nothing except the likelihood-diminishing-by-the-day Lakers trade seems likely to do much to solve either of these two problems. At best, I think we'd expect some very marginal savings and some waiving of traded-for players that the Jazz don't want.

It would be a mistake… it feels like they are selling this a bit to help teams understand it won’t be a “fire”sale… more like a twice annual type of sale… I expect Bogey is gone for sure… I expect JC or Beasley to get moved before the season starts… Mike may need to wait and agree with some that his value could go up.

If you legit can get a first for each of them you should just do it now. No reason to wait if that is true… they know that.

Windhorst's reasoning doesn't make total sense. Yes, he said that the Jazz want their pick to be as good as possible (unclear whether this is just him saying what he thinks "has to be true" or is coming from the Jazz themselves. But then he gives two more reasons: Jazz too close to the luxury tax and Jazz have too many players.

Nothing except the likelihood-diminishing-by-the-day Lakers trade seems likely to do much to solve either of these two problems. At best, I think we'd expect some very marginal savings and some waiving of traded-for players that the Jazz don't want.
How does what he is saying not make total sense? It's all very sensible.