What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I don't get the feeling we are planning on being a player in FA this summer... and that would be the benefit of moving Mike. I don't see someone offering something good for him at his number. As an expiring I think he may be a better trade chip next year.

I just don’t think there is a ton of suitors when you look around the league.

I just don’t think there is a ton of suitors when you look around the league.
I agree. If he made like 5-10M I could see there being interest by many teams as a backup pg or co starter. The problem is at his salary they have to give up a contributor to meet the salary match.

Toronto, Miami, both LA teams, Phoenix all would have a need… but have to give up too much to add him.

Windhorst say's the Timberwolves could use a guy like Conley, but it seems the Jazz haven't made him available in trade talks, at least not yet. It's hard to believe they wouldn't be willing to move him. I don't blame them for not wanting to trade him to the Wolves though... we don't want to do anything to help them improve this season.

View: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1610356365880397824

Also… this quote is way overblown… as always. It wasn’t like he is off the table per se… just that we aren’t shopping him or actively trying to move him… at least the impression I got.

I agree. If he made like 5-10M I could see there being interest by many teams as a backup pg or co starter. The problem is at his salary they have to give up a contributor to meet the salary match.

Toronto, Miami, both LA teams, Phoenix all would have a need… but have to give up too much to add him.

Bad salary and a pick is the type of deal I could see teams offering and we might just be like "nah we’re good" right now. Like you mentioned he’s much more valuable as an expiring contract next year.

Also… this quote is way overblown… as always. It wasn’t like he is off the table per se… just that we aren’t shopping him or actively trying to move him… at least the impression I got.
There isn't a player on this Jazz that is untouchable with Ainge behind the wheel, but yeah I doubt their is any incentive, to try to shop a veteran leader ,who is paid a lot , so not easy to move regardless of level of play, short of rewinding father time, and actually loves being in Utah.
Some team could offer a couple of overpaid scrubs or injured players with a young player as incentive but not much else

Windhorst say's the Timberwolves could use a guy like Conley, but it seems the Jazz haven't made him available in trade talks, at least not yet. It's hard to believe they wouldn't be willing to move him. I don't blame them for not wanting to trade him to the Wolves though... we don't want to do anything to help them improve this season.

I can understand. Minny with a real playmaker willl be huge. And it will hurt our interest. Plus the fact that youngs here learn a lot with Mike.

It sort of does. We are the ones who make the offer this time but we are also dumping Gay to them and keeping Vando.
We do it for rebounding and athleticism. I do think Collins helps a lot and I think Vando is 3 years away from his peak. I believe Vando will get better each passing year; not the typical NBA career but my guess is that when he is 26 years old he will be an extremely good 4 with added stretch 4 capabilities.

I doubt the Wolves organisation takes a call from DA or the Jazz ever again .

Conley is done. The Wolves would be doing us a favor if they took Mike off our hands.

Conley is done. The Wolves would be doing us a favor if they took Mike off our hands.
Not really. Having a vet game manager and an adult leader in the room would do them a world of good. Even if he just runs some actions and makes sure everyone is involved while spacing the floor.

Conley is great, but he's way overpaid and his health is anything but guaranteed. If teams knew he would stay healthy, it'd be one thing, but his health is very questionable and he plays much worse when he's dealing with injuries.

Conley might be best as a 20 MPG type guy at this point of his career. He's 35 and his defense is obviously slipping but can still be masterful running a team in shorter spurts.

I wouldn't be upset if they traded him but not to Minnesota. Despite his age Conley is still much better at running a team than D'Angelo Russell. I'm counting on getting a Thompson twin with that Minny pick.

I just cant see Minnesota actually wanting Conley. They need a vet PG who is 32, not 35.

The PG position is just kind of dying down a bit. A lot of the vets who fit the Wolves list of needs have kind of aged out of being reliable starters.

I had great hopes of Conley showing out and being a nice trade chip, but it looks really doubtful right now. At this point his ideal role in the NBA would be as a backup point guard. I think he would be extremely high level at leading a second unit and minimizing his playing time to <20mpg.

Conley might be best as a 20 MPG type guy at this point of his career. He's 35 and his defense is obviously slipping but can still be masterful running a team in shorter spurts.

I wouldn't be upset if they traded him but not to Minnesota. Despite his age Conley is still much better at running a team than D'Angelo Russell. I'm counting on getting a Thompson twin with that Minny pick.
I'm better at running a team than D'Angelo Russell

In hindsight it's easy to see why the Jazz moved on from Dennis Lindsay.

Giving away the '24 FRP to dump a guy he signed in Favors. Giving bloated contracts to both Gay and Conley that no other team would've matched. It really wasn't great use of our cap or assets.
At least he didn't make any Tim Connelly type mistakes to really screw over the franchise for years.

Giving away the '24 FRP to dump a guy he signed in Favors. Giving bloated contracts to both Gay and Conley that no other team would've matched. It really wasn't great use of our cap or assets.
At least he didn't make any Tim Connelly type mistakes to really screw over the franchise for years.

The crazy thing is outside of trading with us Connelly has been an excellent GM.

He stuck with the Ricky/Favs/Rudy thing too long. When he draft Udoka the same night he salary dumped Ed Davis and Tony Bradley was the night I was done. I knew we would end up bringing in a vet on top of it and he added Favs with a decent overpay. When he also effed up the cap math on the JC/Favs deals so that we would be in the tax by a couple million dollars I thought he had completely checked out.

Derrick Favors really should have been Evan Mobley. He just bulked up wayyyyyy too much and had the knee injuries. Dude aged in dogs years. If he was born in a 3rd world country we'd be questioning his birth certificate.

If we had a better shooting PG than Rubio early on, and combine that with a lighter/healthier Favors, the early Jazz teams would have been a lot more interesting.