What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I just don't believe you make decisions out of fear that a player might improve himself and view himself as that improved player. On a scale of 1-10, the fear of negative impacts coming from Collin Sexton starting is about a 1.2. If you are in so much fear of Sexton not starting, you can just not start him.
This.

Sexton isn't a good enough playmaker to be a PG and doesn't have the size to be a two guard, that hasn't changed. His numbers this year PER36 are basically the same as they were in his last healthy season with Cleveland.
Does Collin believe that?

Sexton isn't a good enough playmaker to be a PG and doesn't have the size to be a two guard, that hasn't changed. His numbers this year PER36 are basically the same as they were in his last healthy season with Cleveland.

He seemed like a pretty good playmaker when he started this year to me.

Also, important, I said *could* present problems, not 100% will.
By the way Cy, I want to make it clear that I think you have a very good basketball mind and I appreciate your posts. I hope you dont take my disagreements with you or what may seem like me attacking you too personally/hard.

Its different when you move teams.
Meh I saw a stat on another forum and Sexton does some things that are elite even though his minutes/usage/PPG are lower this season.

I just looked it up to verify and both Lauri and Sexton are top 10 in the league in iso percentile basically meaning they both have high PPP (points per possession) driving and also get to the FT line at an elite level when driving to the basket. Essentially both put pressure on the basket in an efficient manner. We look at someone like Sexton as someone who isn't Don or who isn't a pure PG like Conley. I bet he will have some really nice trade value on that contract at some point in the near future as every team needs efficient scoring.

As far as Sexton being a 6th man or a starter he looks pretty happy to me. I don't know how we can possibly even judge such a thing unless we are actually in that person's shoes.

And if he gets upset about the demotion how strong is his trade value? Other teams would likely share our view.

There is nothing certain and both routes could provide stumbling blocks. I just think its a valid consideration. Still might have more upside than downside.
You almost cant screw this season up. About the only way you could screw it up would be by playing nearly retired vets hella minutes over guys that will likely be a part of your future for a couple of meaningless wins........... Unless its simply to try to increase their value in a trade.

Rudy Gay is playing mainly because Olynyk is hurt and Fonteccio is hot trash. Gay is the least bad option until Olynyk comes back.
I hope you are right but Gay was playing the exact same minutes when KO was healthy.

I think its likely to be fine one way or another... I just wouldn't completely dismiss it. I also think there are a couple guys you could draft that would be a good long term fit with Sexton as a starter. Black, Wallace, Amen, and maybe even Colby Jones.

I think the overwhelmingly likely outcome would be that we figure out that Sexton is who we think he is now, and it doesn't change much. At the same time, I would also not dismiss the chance that Sexton improves his stock and that becomes a nice bonus for the franchise as future player for us an improved asset. If we get to a spot were we're making draft decisions to fit around Sexton that must mean Sexton has greatly improved his stock.

If he proves to be a starting quality guy but we dont have a starting spot for him on the team then it would seem like he might be a great trade piece. Another win scenario.
This. If he plays at such a high level that he's not open to returning to a bench role then he's likely played well enough to justify keeping him in the starting 5.
It'd be insane to not start him though out of fear he might be upset about it later on.

What kind of a return do you think LeBron could get?
He is still playing great, but has also stated a few times that he wants to be on the same team as his son. That makes me think he won't try to force a trade until after his son is drafted and then he will insist on only that one team.

Some other guys I would call on: Tre Jones, Keldon Johnson, Devin Vassell, Jalen McDaniels, Cam Reddish
Cam Reddish seems like the perfect player on paper (size 6 foot 8 inches and 218 pounds, ability, athleticism wise) and would probably be super cheap to acquire. I would try to get him and see what he can do if he is really easy/cheap to get. only 23 years old.
Pretty efficient this year with plenty of room to be more efficient of course. 45% from the field. 88% from the line. Only 30.4 from 3 though.

Cam Reddish seems like the perfect player on paper (size 6 foot 8 inches and 218 pounds, ability, athleticism wise) and would probably be super cheap to acquire. I would try to get him and see what he can do if he is really easy/cheap to get. only 23 years old.
Pretty efficient this year with plenty of room to be more efficient of course. 45% from the field. 88% from the line. Only 30.4 from 3 though.
Reddish is a dude that always flashes but just hasn't put it together. They reportedly only want 2 2nd round picks though.

I think the overwhelmingly likely outcome would be that we figure out that Sexton is who we think he is now, and it doesn't change much. At the same time, I would also not dismiss the chance that Sexton improves his stock and that becomes a nice bonus for the franchise as future player for us an improved asset. If we get to a spot were we're making draft decisions to fit around Sexton that must mean Sexton has greatly improved his stock.
I agree... in my mind its like 30% positive outcomes, 60% neutral outcomes, 10% negative.

With Conley the evaluation imo is:

- what can we get for him now?
- what can we get for him this summer?
- what are his preferences?
- what team dynamics does this change with Sexton, Lauri, Kessler, JC, etc.?
- what info do we get from a 30 game sample from some of these guys?

With Sexton I could see having a good 30 game run as a starter and increasing his value if you looked to move him. I don't think we are planning around him... I just think there are some guys we could pick and they are good to have because they allow for flexibility (like accommodating flawed players like Sexton).