What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Is getting Jalen Johnson or AJ Griffin from Atlanta realistic? Id love to add Gay for one of those guys in place of a future first to the Beasley+Vando framework

Atlanta is also further boxed in on JC this year with the Turner extension. To do a deal they need to include Hield or Theis (who has a bad contract) as they don't have the cap space to do a lopsided trade now. So I think Indiana is kinda out of the running on Collins.

this is exactly what I am saying... you are being too rigid here. I'm less concerned about which bucket lauri should go in and more concerned about what his partner should be. Take Giannis out of the equation as he plays literally every position for the Bucks at times... Who fits best with Lauri... the guys on the SF list of the PF list? Its super obvious to me that the guys on the SF list are way better fits.
Neither. Those are all stars and I want support from the 3rd frontcourt guy. Draymond and Mobley are the closest but they cannot shoot or space.

SFs are much more ball dominant species and I want an off ball guy, since I want Lauri and the 2 future guards to all have the ball as much as possible, with Kessler and the 5th guy acting more as screeners and target players.

I want a 2nd star (hopefully one even better than Lauri) but he needs to be a backcourt player.

I
Neither. Those are all stars and I want support from the 3rd frontcourt guy. Draymond and Mobley are the closest but they cannot shoot or space.

SFs are much more ball dominant species and I want an off ball guy, since I want Lauri and the 2 future guards to all have the ball as much as possible, with Kessler and the 5th guy acting more as screeners and target players.

I want a 2nd star (hopefully one even better than Lauri) but he needs to be a backcourt player.
I agree and a hell of defender as well

If you can route Vando to Indy for their Houston second (and maybe more seconds) and then send that to Charlotte for McDaniels... I think you could get an extension worked out and i'd be willing to bet he sees the difference between Utah and Charlotte and wants to stay anyway. That's a guy I'd take a swing on and think the price could be reasonable.
Ya I like mcdaniels. Would suck to lose vando but I would feel much better if McDaniels was the end result.

Right... its just funny the way we talk about it... Lauri is going to play to his strengths whether he is a 3 or a 4 at this point. On defense you are always one switch away from having your matchups all mixed up.
This.

I guess we are different cuz I'll take KD or something resembling him and its not close.
SFs are not ball dominant. You are more likely to get a Trey Murphy/Jaden McDaniels/OG type at SF than a Paul George or Kevin Durant. Those guys obviously fit quite well.

Again too rigid in how you think with positions. If we got a second star either as a backcourt or a perimeter player we are gold... hell even a PF as a star would be fine... cuz Lauri is flexible positionally.

This is a list from NBA.com of the top SF and PF coming into season (not my list, dont know why AD is PF). Which group Lauri belongs in based on the way he plays?

SF:
  • #8 Brandon Ingram. ...
  • #7 Andrew Wiggins. ...
  • #6 Jimmy Butler. ...
  • #5 Paul George. ...
  • #4 Jayson Tatum. ...
  • #3 Kawhi Leonard. ...
  • #2 Kevin Durant. ...
  • #1 LeBron James. Expect James to be more motivated than ever.
PF:
  • #8 Draymond Green. ...
  • #7 Pascal Siakam. ...
  • #6 Paolo Banchero. ...
  • #5 Anthony Davis. ...
  • #4 Evan Mobley. ...
  • #3 Karl-Anthony Towns. ...
  • #2 Zion Williamson. ...
  • #1 Giannis Antetokounmpo.
Looking at that list i would say he plays more like a tweener lol.

I think they have to give a swap of their pick this year or the Kings pick if they want some version of our trade. I would actually think KO and Malik for JC would be a better fit for them... but the Vando contract value is obviously appealing.

I also think there is a potential three-team deal with Phoenix out there. I think Atlanta could potentially get away with not giving up a pick if they took Crowder/Saric back while Phoenix got Beasley/Vando while sending a pick our way.

My favorite variation is just getting the SAC first they own. I would even swap the PHI/BKN pick for that if it came down to it.

We could get that deal tomorrow if we wanted based on the rumors. I think we'd get a little asset on the top.
Well then, I have no idea. I just really doubt Atlanta is going to give up assets to get off Collins just to get Vando/Beasley. I just havent been able to form any strong opinion on Collins. I dont see all that much talent, but he is probably OK? Just based off my lack of strong opinion I probably wouldnt do it unless you are getting the thing on top, but that just seems wild on Atlanta's part unless another team is involved and they are getting more win now pieces. Maybe something where Sexton is moved to a 3rd team and they send a player to ATL and a future asset to Utah, IDK.

We do not need to limit ourselves to it being a backcourt player.

I also think there is a potential three-team deal with Phoenix out there. I think Atlanta could potentially get away with not giving up a pick if they took Crowder/Saric back while Phoenix got Beasley/Vando while sending a pick our way.

My favorite variation is just getting the SAC first they own. I would even swap the PHI/BKN pick for that if it came down to it.
I agree there could be a three team scenario out there. I would not swap the Philly pick for the Kings pick though. It has some solid protections on it and I will never bet on the Kings being competent over the long term. Fox has had some wild swings year to year as well so I could see that pick turning into two seconds... its not likely but its the kings ya know.

Atlanta and Toronto are teams I want the Jazz talking to a lot. Actually there are a bunch of seemingly desperate teams right now and we are in a good position to take advantage.

Well then, I have no idea. I just really doubt Atlanta is going to give up assets to get off Collins just to get Vando/Beasley. I just havent been able to form any strong opinion on Collins. I dont see all that much talent, but he is probably OK? Just based off my lack of strong opinion I probably wouldnt do it unless you are getting the thing on top, but that just seems wild on Atlanta's part unless another team is involved and they are getting more win now pieces. Maybe something where Sexton is moved to a 3rd team and they send a player to ATL and a future asset to Utah, IDK.
Their challenge is they want to duck the tax next year... will be difficult to rely on cap space teams to dump Collins... so they really need a team with expirings now. Beasley gives them insurance if Bogey opts out and leaves. If he opts in you can waive Beasley... Vando is a wonky fit... which is why I could see it actually being KO and Beasley for Holiday and Collins. I would want one of the following:

- a swap with the Philly pick for the Atlanta pick (they could top 8 or so protect it but I'd want the Kings pick if their pick fell in the protections).
- the kings pick.
- they take Gay instead of Vando or KO and they also give a couple seconds.

I don't think the fit with the starters is awesome.

Atlanta and Toronto are teams I want the Jazz talking to a lot. Actually there are a bunch of seemingly desperate teams right now and we are in a good position to take advantage.
Ujiri does not get taken advantage of though. I think you watch Toronto but would be surprised if they gave away value in a panic move (they are very flush with cash too).

I agree there could be a three team scenario out there. I would not swap the Philly pick for the Kings pick though. It has some solid protections on it and I will never bet on the Kings being competent over the long term. Fox has had some wild swings year to year as well so I could see that pick turning into two seconds... its not likely but its the kings ya know.

The protections aren’t that bad in my opinion.