What's new

Trade up? What are you willing to give up?

No way we trade Lauri for a #3. Except Wemby ( if he dont get injured), all the others players from the draft are good to average for me. Lauri is an NBA All Star.

Alright... I think I figured out how we get #3. Portland needs a big... its like the thing they have not had with Dame is a big rim protecting big.

So we loop in our old friends the Cavaliers. They need some help and the two big thing maybe needs a shakeup. So a deal goes like this:

Portland out: Nurkic, #3 pick
Portland In: Jarrett Allen, #9 pick

Cavs out: Allen
Cavs in: Nurkic, Ochai (I mean they drafted him and kind of need someone like him), they get back one of their picks in 25 or 27.

Utah out: #9, Cavs pick, Ochai
Utah in: #3 and maybe we take a salary one of the teams doesn't want. Maybe another pick goes somewhere or we give them back a swap.

Maybe a little light for the Cavs. Nurkic could be a 20 minute a night starter for them as they transition Mobley to the 5. He was okay when he was healthy but Portland just needs something more dynamic. I'm banking a bit on the fact that Cavs are kind of boxed in and control of their own pick is a little more valuable to them than it would be to outsiders.

Alright... I think I figured out how we get #3. Portland needs a big... its like the thing they have not had with Dame is a big rim protecting big.

So we loop in our old friends the Cavaliers. They need some help and the two big thing maybe needs a shakeup. So a deal goes like this:

Cavs in: Nurkic, Ochai (I mean they drafted him and kind of need someone like him), they get back one of their picks in 25 or 27.

Utah in: #3 and maybe we take a salary one of the teams doesn't want. Maybe another pick goes somewhere or we give them back a swap.

Maybe a little light for the Cavs. Nurkic could be a 20 minute a night starter for them as they transition Mobley to the 5. He was okay when he was healthy but Portland just needs something more dynamic. I'm banking a bit on the fact that Cavs are kind of boxed in and control of their own pick is a little more valuable to them than it would be to outsiders.

I think that’s too much for the Cleveland and not enough for Portland. I think you’re overrating Allen.

I think that’s too much for the Cleveland and not enough for Portland. I think you’re overrating Allen.
Then I send them one more pick. I think Nurkic's deal is viewed as bad and Allen the opposite. I know Mobley is part of that great Cavs defense by Allen is a good part of it too... I think Allen as a lob threat might unlock some things for Dame.

Either way it honestly felt too little for us to give up... so #9 plus, two picks, and Ochai is pretty fair and reasonable.

Then I send them one more pick. I think Nurkic's deal is viewed as bad and Allen the opposite. I know Mobley is part of that great Cavs defense by Allen is a good part of it too... I think Allen as a lob threat might unlock some things for Dame.

Either way it honestly felt too little for us to give up... so #9 plus, two picks, and Ochai is pretty fair and reasonable.
Yeah, I probably would do that.

Im guessing that Ochai is part of our future plans. I don't think he's on the table.

Tried to think of 3 team concepts with Phoenix sending out Ayton and realized... the Suns are pretty hosed. They really need to cash him in for parts and he's expensive now.

Lauri's timeline makes it more important to find our core pieces sooner than later. Getting higher end talent higher in the draft is worth the gamble to accelerate our rebuild. Scoot potentially checks off the boxes of a second star that we are looking for and a high level distributer that can run an offense. If Portland's pick is actually available then we should try whatever we can, within reason, to make that work.

Lauri's timeline makes it more important to find our core pieces sooner than later. Getting higher end talent higher in the draft is worth the gamble to accelerate our rebuild. Scoot potentially checks off the boxes of a second star that we are looking for and a high level distributer that can run an offense. If Portland's pick is actually available then we should try whatever we can, within reason, to make that work.
This is the way. I also think this does not take you out of the bidding for the next star. If you are trading a star a super high end prospect/young player is often way better than a few extra picks. Also think if you are just dealing picks that you end up having so many its easy for teams to say "5 picks? We know you got 8... so give em all ya bish"

If Luka became available and Scoot was good but not quite star ready and you wanted to do Scoot plus a few picks for Luka I think that is easier than 7 picks for Luka.

Why would we do that?
I can see trading Sexton to move up to get a wing you are in love with, especially if you plan on bringing Clarkson back. If we are l we letting Clarkson walk, I value Sexton more than that though.

The idea would be that the Jazz are leaning into defensive length.

I guess I would say I'm somewhat of a Scoot skeptic, but I have put nearly as much time looking into him as the guys that might be available at #9. But if you do believe he's a #1 level prospect you should do it. Based on history, I think Ainge would pull the trigger if he believes in Scoot as a franchise player like some do.

And for the record.....I really, really do not think we should be shaping decisions around Ochai.

Also, Cleveland takes back Gay. No need to give them Salaty relief on top of everything else.

I've mentioned this before, but I also could see us moving up just a couple of spots as well. I just envision Danny Ainge having a guy that he targets and the intel to know what pick he is going at. We have enough draft picks for us to get to whatever pick number we want if there are teams willing to deal.

It could work the other way as well. He might target a guy past our draft position that we trade back for and pick up more assets. I don't picture Danny Ainge as a guy who is going to just leave it completely up to chance and pick at 9 whoever happens to be there. I could be wrong though.

Also, Cleveland takes back Gay. No need to give them Salaty relief on top of everything else.
Nah… we can eat Rudy deal much more easily… no need to try and force value out of that. I think they would be the team that potentially says no in this scenario. Depends on how stuck they feel and how married to the two big thing they are.

I've mentioned this before, but I also could see us moving up just a couple of spots as well. I just envision Danny Ainge having a guy that he targets and the intel to know what pick he is going at. We have enough draft picks for us to get to whatever pick number we want if there are teams willing to deal.

It could work the other way as well. He might target a guy past our draft position that we trade back for and pick up more assets. I don't picture Danny Ainge as a guy who is going to just leave it completely up to chance and pick at 9 whoever happens to be there. I could be wrong though.
He’s tried to do all three things… wait, move up, move back. I could see is moving up to 6 or 3 and I could also see us moving back to 12. He’s pretty good at gathering intel based on prior drafts.

We are a little bit at the mercy of the Wiz… I wonder if he’d throw 28 just to move up a spot.

He’s tried to do all three things… wait, move up, move back. I could see is moving up to 6 or 3 and I could also see us moving back to 12. He’s pretty good at gathering intel based on prior drafts.

We are a little bit at the mercy of the Wiz… I wonder if he’d throw 28 just to move up a spot.
Probably. I thought I read we were thinking about trading 28 for 2nd round picks, which completely floored me based on how little DA has seemed to value 2nds up to this point.