What's new

Transcripts of Quin Snyder's interview

da ThRONe

https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/2014/06/13/bits-from-quin-snyder-interviews-610-and-612/

Mentioned this site in another thread haven't seen it posted so I thought I put it here.

FYI. He says "You know" a lot.

Here's the quote on how to improve on defense.

How do you motivate guys to play hard(er) on defense?
Well, I think, you know, the first thing is to teach ‘em certain habits, you know, because I think when you’re confused in anything, really, it’s very difficult to execute. And when you know where you’re supposed to be, and then when it becomes habitual, you can turn it up. You know, you can start moving quicker, moving faster. You begin to anticipate.

So, you know, those habits, I think, will allow us the opportunity to play hard. It’s tough to hold the guys accountable if they’re not sure where they’re supposed to be. So, that’s our job as coaches, is to teach ‘em those habits.

And then really just to, you know, you do it or you don’t play. It’s pretty simple. There’re certain things that we’re gonna call non-negotiables, that our players just gotta do.

Yikes, that rambling doesn't make me feel confident he knows what he is talking about. Did he even see any of our games last year. Oh well, we were 30th in defense, there is no where to go but up!

Yikes, that rambling doesn't make me feel confident he knows what he is talking about. Did he even see any of our games last year. Oh well, we were 30th in defense, there is no where to go but up!

i think he's a pretty cerebral guy, i don't think the transcript conveys that. Hearing him actually speak, and having read his papers, he has quite a bit of knowledge. Just, can he convey that to the players, and can he work with a big picture are my questions. He seems like a guy that might get caught up with minutia, and miss something grand scale.

Doesn't sound like he's rambling, sure he didnt sound like Obama reading from a teleprompter but he said some good things.

"You know" is a verbal pause when either someone really doesn't know what to say or is thinking too hard about the question. In Snyder's case, I tend to think it's the latter. You don't, you know, get a JD and MBA degree without being incredibly #intelligent and #hungry.

All of ya'll are, ya know, dumb for trying to make conclusions about his intelligence based on him saying "ya know" a lot.

What I took away from that supposed rambling quote is that he is going to implement a defensive strategy that guys must execute or follow, and if they don't, they're going to be riding the pine.

What I took away from that supposed rambling quote is that he is going to implement a defensive strategy that guys must execute or follow, and if they don't, they're going to be riding the pine.

Which means many people are going to hate Snyder 'cause there's a good chance Kanter's going to riding lots of pine.

Which means many people are going to hate Snyder 'cause there's a good chance Kanter's going to riding lots of pine.

What I took away from it is that there's reason to believe the team was poorly coached. That he believes he can correct that coaching flaw. And that once he implements his scheme and teach it to the players to a point where he feels they understand it if they aren't giving the effort he'll bench them.

Honestly not sure what connections Corbin had with his team, but just based on Snyder's words this seems like the best approach. Correct the players broken habits, teach the system, then hold everybody accountable.

Last edited:
Hi All... New member. This is good for guys like Kanter. I remember is a book I read they talked about how Tony Dungy turned around the Bucs defense back in the day. He gave them very defined rules and took all of the thinking out of it. They were a split second faster to react because they new where to be. If they got burned but followed the rules it was okay.

Kanter seems like he is thinking too much on the court and needs to just react more. If Snyder can implement this it will help him probably more than anyone.

Hi All... New member. This is good for guys like Kanter. I remember is a book I read they talked about how Tony Dungy turned around the Bucs defense back in the day. He gave them very defined rules and took all of the thinking out of it. They were a split second faster to react because they new where to be. If they got burned but followed the rules it was okay.

Kanter seems like he is thinking too much on the court and needs to just react more. If Snyder can implement this it will help him probably more than anyone.

I agree this will be great for Kanter. This is something that they teach when raising kids or if you are being trained to be a teacher. Or in Economics. If the rules are constantly changing the "players" or "kids" or "businesses" never know what to expect and don't have a clear path to go on. And everyone is very uneasy and end up making decisions they wouldn't normally make.

It honestly seemed like chaos on defense and offense the last couple years. Sloan had strict guidelines on offense. Defensively I think he was overrated and the rules weren't very clear. I am really pumped for the next 2 years to see what Snyder comes up with.

It’s tough to hold the guys accountable if they’re not sure where they’re supposed to be. So, that’s our job as coaches, is to teach ‘em those habits.

I think this is a very telling remark on the defensive system that was or was not in place while Corbin was coaching.