What's new

Ty Corbin-Making his first big change to the Jazz System

Dwill4mvp

Jazz Change Defensive Philosophy, Will Funnel Opposing Ballhandlers Baseline
Dec 15, 2011 9:14 AM EST

The Jazz are overhauling their defense to divert opposing ballhandlers to the baseline instead of funneling foes into the paint.

The bold move, which has been introduced and implemented to players during training camp, is the first big imprint Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin has put on the franchise since taking over in February.

"It's just a totally different way of looking at it," Corbin said.

The system switch is geared toward shoring up the Jazz's interior defense, improving trust, helping those rotations and lessening the impact of not having a shot-blocker.

"We were stretching the floor out a little bit too much on the inside and giving up too many layups," Corbin said. "Or the extra effort wasn't there. It just gives us a better chance to not make those mistakes."

Read more: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret..._Opposing_Ballhandlers_Baseline#ixzz1gtUiD0uH

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...hy_Will_Funnel_Opposing_Ballhandlers_Baseline

This actually seems like a logical move. I do feel like our guys looked like they were a little lazy on rotations for the past couple years, hopefully this will make our defense a lot more active. I'm also glad that they decided to do this while are young guys are learning. That way this will be the defense that they learned right when they entered the league.

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

I think you're about a week late on this :)

I'm all fine and dandy with that. I'm more concerned he's adamant on NOT settling on a starting lineup yet. They need as much court time as possible together before the season tips. If Plan A doesn't look good, then switch to Plan B, and so on and so forth. But I guess Ty Morbid doesn't want a unit to have any continuity heading into the start of the season.

Unless he's taken a page out of KOC/Sloan's book and said one thing and done another - which I would love. If he's holding cards close to his chest and it turns out they've had a starting lineup in place since camp started then I'll take it back.

But forcing guys baseline as opposed to the paint isn't necessarily a better or worse philosophy. It's about the personnel we have. Some players we'll face prefer going baseline instead of into the middle and distributing that way. We'll see how our post players adjust to this philosophy as they'll be crucial to its success.

So, Chi thinks that a good coach in a situation where you have 2 rookies, a truncated offseason, various unproven and semi-proven players, and a recent signing should just publish a depth chart immediately.

'Cause having competition through the little bit of preseason would be a bad thing, I guess? Maybe keep these trashy posts in your garbage thread.

We haven't played a single game .. been practicing for, what, 10 days or so? Have nice additions to the roster, some unhealthy are again healthy .. naming a starting 5 right now is just dumb. Ty, especially as a new coach, needs to promote competition in the practices and to send a message to vets and rooks alike that whomever gives the team the best shot at winning is who gets clock.

What is this "defense" of which you speak?

So, Chi thinks that a good coach in a situation where you have 2 rookies, a truncated offseason, various unproven and semi-proven players, and a recent signing should just publish a depth chart immediately.

'Cause having competition through the little bit of preseason would be a bad thing, I guess? Maybe keep these trashy posts in your garbage thread.
Even with a pretty stable roster, Sloan would tinker during the early part of the season (Harp vs. AK, CJ vs. Brewer, Fisher at SG, etc.). You can put your five "best" players on the court as starters, but that might not be the best lineup. Ty may also change the lineup around to give players a rest due to the compressed schedule; Utah has enough depth to do that.

Also have to account for young players getting better. Last year, Hayward played his way out of the rotation during the first couple of months and then forced his way back into the lineup after the all-star break. Same could happen with Burks. Maybe Kanter, but I think he's a bigger project. I also think the Jazz have more flexibility than ever. They can go big, small, run, shoot 3's, or pound it into the paint. So there's not just one lineup and a set rotation of subs for Ty to decide on. His job this year may be the most challenging a Jazz head coach has faced in quite some time.

Besides, it was a 20-min scrimmage. Everyone needed to get some playing time and that's difficult to do in less than 2 normal quarters. I have a feeling Ty pretty much has decided on a starting lineup. The only major question is whether Favors starts over Millsap at PF. If Favors doesn't start, the lineup is set with: Harris, Hayward, CJ, Jefferson and Millsap. If Favors does start, then Corbin has to decide if Millsap bumps Miles from the lineup at SF.