What's new

Uh oh, as if the odds weren't stacked against us already

Token female analyst Doris Burke is calling our game. I think the Jazz are 0-24 when she announces.

If you're unfamiliar with her groundbreaking analysis she was the one who evoked "Michael Jordan's game winning shot in the finals over Craig Ehlo of the Utah Jazz," during a Jazz game a couple seasons ago. After graciously being given the benefit of the doubt by the other announcer, who said, "I believe that was Bryon Russell, right?" Burke didn't correct her self. She insisted it was "Craig Ehlo of the Utah Jazz" and she said how vividly she remembered it.

After an awkward few moments of dead air, the other announcer resumed calling the game as if nothing happened. The producers were probably just like, "move on! move on!" in his ear piece.

Regardless, we should all be lucky get to hear her opinion on the psyche of each player as she often likes to offer up since she's so tight with them.

Every analyst or commentator makes mistakes like that. I seriously think people are extra harsh towards her solely because she's a woman, which is sad.

- Craig

Every analyst or commentator makes mistakes like that. I seriously think people are extra harsh towards her solely because she's a woman, which is sad.

- Craig

I've actually thought that she is ok; I've heard worse, but that's a pretty big error for an analyst.

Token female analyst Doris Burke is calling our game. I think the Jazz are 0-24 when she announces.

.....who in the world is Doris Burke? My 88 year old Dad thinks they must have pulled her out of the stands to announce this game! My Dad has no use for female sports announcers! He thinks they should be home taking care of their children!

- Craig

No. No analyst would ever mistake a shot against the Jazz in 98 Finals over Russell for a shot over the Cavs and Ehlo in the early 90's/late 80's in a eastern conf semis game. Play-by-play announcer? Perhaps.

But she's an analyst and only hired because she's a woman. The most basic criteria to be an analyst is obvious knowledge of the game's most historic players/moments. Since she lacks that, one can only presume she was hired as an analyst for other reasons aside from a good grip on the NBA's history.

I'd still take Doris Burke over Pam Ward.

I've never heard Pam Ward do an NBA game, but my Illini are 0-49 in both football and basketball games she has done of ours. That's not to say she hasn't been nice to the Illini. I'll always remember when she said Juice Williams is a name we'll all hear a lot on Sundays. She knocked that one out of the park.

.....who in the world is Doris Burke? My 88 year old Dad thinks they must have pulled her out of the stands to announce this game! My Dad has no use for female sports announcers! He thinks they should be home taking care of their children!
What a stunning revelation it is that 1940's stereotyping is still going on in your household.

This is my favorite Doris Burke moment from a year or two ago:

[video=youtube_share;es2hTWC0w0Q]https://youtu.be/es2hTWC0w0Q

Sorry for the crappy quality, it's from my cell phone. Here's part of what she says:

"anybody who remembers the images of the murrah building and the exlosion inside this building in game three have to do nothing but sit back and smile..."

I could have handled the loss but having to listen to her ruined my day. That was the most terrible announcing I have heard, which is pretty bad considering the local announcers I am used too.

LOL @ all the hyperbolic posts in this thread.

Yes, the Doris woman is the anti-christ. She ruined my Game 1 experience, my afternoon, my day, my week...hell, my LIFE.