What's new

Unemployment sucks

MoTappin

My husband was rather unceremoniously laid off a month ago. While he is glad he doesn't have to go back to where he was, being unemployed really sucks, especially with holidays coming up. I have a freelance copywriting/brand consulting business where I am able to help out, but it's nowhere near enough. He's an experienced Project Manager and IT guy with ample expertise in financial systems (ERP and SAP), human capital management, and even Sarbanes-Oxley. He is great at building relationships with clients and meeting their needs, which is the part of his career he likes most. If you know of any opportunities or people he should talk to, please let me know. Here is his LinkedIn profile. I know some of you have been there, done that. Thanks for lending an ear...or your eyeballs I guess.

How does this work in the US? Does he have Employment Insurance? If so, how long does it last and what percentage of your final salary is it?

Yeah, we get unemployment payouts. It lasts 6 months generally. It caps out (for us...not sure if there are other thresholds) at just over $13,000 total. Not sure if it's a certain percentage of what salary was or not, but I do know it's enough to cover the mortgage and not much else.

Condolences. If he's anything of a handyman I've got some home landscaping jobs available (cash). That market is so busy I cannot get a single person to come do the work.

He is quite handy, actually. You in Salt Lake I assume? I will ask him about that, and feel free to PM me any info. THANKS!