What's new

UPDATED: 2021 All-Time NBA Draft

2017-'18 James Harden (drafted in 2009)

*MVP SEASON*: 30.4 PPG (.619 TS%, 37% from 3 on 10 attempts), 8.8 APG, 1.8 SPG, 29.8 PER, 9.9 box +/-, 15.4 win shares.

Everyone hates this dude, and they should.

He is the Einstein of offense, being virtually unguardable more often than not, and nobody is going to do more with a broken-play than him. With a CAREER .611 TS% (far higher than MJ, FWIW), he has mastered offense in a way that is frankly unfair, but you can't argue with the facts. Nobody besides MJ in the modern era has dominated the game offensively like Harden has. It is hard to choose which season to pick from, considering he's lead the league in assists (11.2 APG in '16-'17), averaged an ungodly 36.1 PPG in another ('18-'19), and won three scoring titles. Naturally, I will choose his official MVP season, despite being a perennial candidate for most of the last half-decade and having a legitimate case for having one or two more, finishing as runner-up in two seasons and 2nd runner up in another).

Mathematically, it makes sense that he would dominate the ball in most circumstances, but he started his career off the bench and just finished his last in a greatly reduced role because he understood he had proper talent around him. That is to say, he can be a great teammate and thrive playing a team game. This is an important question, as is his defense, which has improved immensely since the time he was a punchline, such that he has become proficient at generating turnovers (finishing 7th in SPG in '17-'18). He is also a bull, making him elite in the post on defense for his position(s) and quite switchable.

Hakeem is going to eat with his usual peerless post work, but is also going to feast on lobs and other bunnies in a way he never got to (imagine replacing Capella with Hakeem; nasty), in addition to some PnR in order to maximize and compound each other's gravity.

Last edited:
2017-'18 James Harden (drafted in 2009)

30.4 PPG (.619 TS%), 8.8 APG, 1.8 SPG, 29.8 PER, 9.9 box +/-, 15.4 win shares.

Everyone hates this dude, and they should.

He is the Einstein of offense, being virtually unguardable more often than not. With a CAREER .611 TS% (far higher than MJ, FWIW), he has mastered offense in a way that is frankly unfair, but you can't argue with the facts. Nobody besides MJ in the modern era has dominated the game offensively like Harden has. It is hard to choose which season to pick from, considering he's lead the league in assists (11.2 APG in '16-'17), averaged 36.1 PPG in another, and won three scoring titles. Naturally, I will choose his official MVP season, 2017-'18 despite being a perennial candidate for most of the last half-decade and having a legitimate case for having one or two more.

Mathematically, it makes sense that he would dominate the ball in most circumstances, but he started his career off the bench and just finished his last in a greatly reduced role because he understood he had proper talent around him. He can step up as a teammate. This is an important question, as is his defense, which he has improved immensely since the time he was a punchline, becoming proficient at generating turnovers (finishing 7th in SPG in '17-'18). He is also a bull, making him elite in the post on defense for his position(s) and quite switchable.

Hakeem is going to eat with his usual peerless post work, but is going to feast on lobs and other bunnies, in addition to some PnR in order to maximize and compound each other's gravity.

Harden is such an elite offensive player. Gets a lot of unwarranted hate from around the league because of it.

Harden is such a good player. I hate him but he is so good.
I took so long cuz I had to wrestle with the same feeling. It's why I led my essay the way I did, because really at the end of the day, it is just so god damn frustrating being on the other end of how he does things, and that's because they work really, really ****ing well.

Last edited:
SF/SG: Julius “Dr. J.” Erving (1979 and before era - drafted 1972)

1979/1980 Season Statistics:
26.9 points per game
7.4 Rebounds per game
4.6 Assists per game
1.8 blocks, 2.2 steals and 6.8 free throw attempts per game.

26.9 points per game
7.4 Rebounds per game
4.6 Assists per game

I don't agree with having 0 spacing in your first three picks, but I'll be damned if I'm not impressed by the audacity.

26.9 points per game
7.4 Rebounds per game
4.6 Assists per game

I knew it was a long shot, but he made so much sense on my team.

2018-'19 Paul George (drafted in 2010)

28 PPG*, 8.2 RPG*, 4.1 APG, 2.2 SPG (led NBA)*: 23.3 PER*, 7.2 box +/-*, 11.9 win shares*
.583 TS% (39% from 3 on 9.8 attempts per game*, 7 FT attempts per game*) (* indicates a career high)
-All-NBA 1st Team
-All-Defensive 1st Team
-2nd runner-up for MVP
-2nd runner-up for Defensive Player of the Year

Perfect 3rd guy for a contest like this. Been searching high and low for players that have his skills on offense (great shooter off the dribble and the catch, can score on the ball and off, can get to the rim and yack on dudes, efficient scorer on high volume, not a black hole) defense (can comfortably guard 4 positions most nights [highly switchable], ballhawk, can protect the rim some [.4 blocks per game from the SF position]), and physical attributes (elite size; he is visibly the tallest perimeter player most nights, and athletic). These players are virtual unicorns, so I made sure to scoop him up.

Here's some defense:

He'll be my primary perimeter defender and 3rd scorer (if we don't consider Nash). It is noteworthy that he's not going to be relied on in the clutch for his role, per se, but that this is pre-pandemic P and he has been more clutch than not throughout his career. I will post about this more later.

Last edited: