What's new

UPDATED: 2021 All-Time NBA Draft

Shawn Kemp ('93-'94)

(The video is really good and short.)

Unreal dunker and pressure on the rim in transition and out of the roll, also had some mid-range game. Great defensively (2.0 BPG, 1.8 SPG, +2 DBPM); Sonics suddenly became a bad defensive team when he was traded (even with Payton).

'93-'94 Season
-18 PPG, 11 RPG, All-NBA
-22.9 PER, .593 TS%, + 4.4 BPM

kemp_point_dunk.gif

Nash subs out early to play with the second unit. Defense digs out a lot of transition opportunities, then goes into pick and roll heavy offense if it doesn't immediately get a bucket (that also features Gasol as a PnR/pick-and-pop threat and trailer, creating lots of spanish PnR potential).

Last edited:
2011-12 Andre Iguodala

He was an all-star this year and averaged 6.1 RPG with 5.5 APG while shooting 39.4% from 3 plus 1.7 SPG to top it off. I don’t need him to score a lot with having Curry/Reggie/Shaq. He’s the perfect 3 and D player for my team while also being a pretty good facilitator and rebounder.

The one thing I remember about the jazz playing the Sonics in those days is Malone absolutely owned Kemp. It got so bad theyd stuck Kemp on Ostertag. Lol
That's funny, I remember the Sonics kind of owning the Jazz for most of the mid-90's.

If true, maybe it's because Kemp fouled a lot (lead the league during this era). It is also typical to put your best help defender on the opposing team's bum so they can play free safety (it would also keep him closer to the rim, and theoretically save their energy for offense and maybe keep down their foul rate). You could also say that him being able to guard 90's centers - even the bums - is a plus since it demonstrates his physical strength (which is maybe the only thing Tag reliably had on a given night).

In this case, Kemp is a supercharged sub, and his role might be specifically to foul in some situations. In other words, not a problem at all.

Sorry to take so much time, everyone, it just kind of felt like the last chance to make a big change (if anything was worth it).

While I'm posting; there were a number of dunking freaks in transition/out of the PnR to choose from, but Kemp is the only one that played even passable defense, let alone great defense. Having him also opens up another set of lineups that could put him next to Hakeem (most of which I would never use, but the option of overwhelming athleticism and/or two high-end shotblockers [maybe even sliding Dray to the 3] in a shutdown absolutely everything last-possession situation is nice to have).

Last edited: