Utah’s next Governor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oneye, May 21, 2020 at 4:29 PM.

Who will you vote for in the June primary?(if you are registered to be able to vote in it)

Poll closed Yesterday at 4:29 PM.
  1. Huntsman

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Cox

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. oneye

oneye Well-Known Member 2018 Award Winner

Dec 2, 2017
    I’m mainly aiming at the primary coming up in June. Between Huntsman and Cox who will you vote for?

I think either will be fine, personally I lean towards Huntsman. Huntsman during the 2009 economic recovery pushed through some major beneficial changes to Utah’s liquor laws for businesses and quite honestly just the population here. I get he left, but during his time I thought he laid a very good groundwork for putting Utah on a very positive path forward. Cox would be my 2nd choice as far as the primary goes. Huntsman to me is a far more bold/solid leader in my opinion.

2. JazzGal

JazzGal Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    Anyone but Greg Hughes.

I am not a registered Republican so cannot vote in the primary, but I would vote for Spencer Cox. I don't have any heartburn about Huntsman, either. If we have to have a Republican governor (and we do), I'll take either.

The Thriller likes this.
  3. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    Either of them want to legalize marijuana?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The Thriller and Gameface like this.
  4. oneye

Dec 2, 2017
    Personally I think Huntsman would be the closest choice. As I mentioned, he showed a willingness to pressure change on the liquor side of things when it was ridiculous. Had he not been Governor we may still need club cards to get into places here. It’s why I’ll vote for him. He proved he was willing to pressure a significant positive step in liquor laws. Cox is a reasonable candidate, but I don’t think he’s bold enough to step outside the tradition Utah thought process, I think Huntsman is. Huntsman was a great Governor in his short amount of time IMO. He took over right after the recession and set Utah on a good path forward. Unfortunate he left.

Gameface and fishonjazz like this.
  5. oneye

Dec 2, 2017
    I switched affiliation specifically so I could vote in this election this year. I’ll switch back at some point but as you said, I’m not letting Hughs get that nomination. I’ll vote for the most reasonable R in the primary and the D in the general probably.

6. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    this 100x. Hughes was one of the biggest sleaze balls in the Legislature. If you liked the not transparent way the prison relocation was handled, then Hughes is your guy. He also claims to be the “Trumpiest” candidate, as if that’s a good thing.

leftyjace and oneye like this.
  7. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    LOL. Get the state’s biggest lobbyist on board with that and then it might have a chance. Huntsman is inactive/non practicing btw, unlike his father.

I like Cox. I personally think he’s a good person, fairly moderate (by utah morepub standards) and the most empathetic of the bunch.

fishonjazz likes this.
  8. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Huntsman than Cox. No fn way to Hughes.

leftyjace, oneye and The Thriller like this.
  9. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    BTW it would be cool if we could get some action on this. I just don’t see much change without getting the state’s biggest lobbyist on board. Same thing with our draconian booze laws.

fishonjazz likes this.
  10. oneye

Dec 2, 2017
    Will whichever one of them that loses please run against Mike Lee for his senate seat please?

JazzGal and leftyjace like this.