What's new

Utah Jazz Future

tranzz

THE UTAH JAZZ FUTURE!

How good and/or bad can we be in 1-3 years?

The way I see it is that the Lakers are still alpha, followed by Dallas, Denver, OKC, and Portland. (not in any particular order). All those team are just as good or better then the jazz of right now, but for how long? It seems that those teams are willing to gamble to make them self better. What about us? How can we keep up? How can we put together a championship caliber team?

Answer; WE CAN”T

4 unwritten laws preventing the Jazz from a Ring

1. Free agency is not and will not be do or die for us
(We’ll never sign an all-star, we’ll never become a big market business, and we’ll never be in the same class as the “alphas”)

2. Drafting in mid major
(The Jazz theme seems to be “Consistency”. We all know about the last 20 yrs, and how we’ll never been in the lottery because of our work ethic, and consistency). It’s basically comes down to a hit or miss in the draft for us. I believe our average draft since 2000 is 18. So finding an instant impact player is nearly impossible

3. Utah “white reputation”
(surprisingly we do not have the most “white guys in the league, that honor goes to the pacers, however the reputation around the sport is that Utah is “where big white guys comes to die” I’ve heard that quote over and over before. So it shouldn’t surprise anybody that NBA players aren’t waiting inline to sign with the jazz.

4. “The Sloan System”
(We all know that Jerry is a HOF coach, we all know about his system and how he’ll take hard work over talent, but in the 20+ seasons he has never given the city of SLC a championship tile. It’s fair to say that his time is coming to an end. Maybe the “Sloan system needs to retired”. Don’t get me wrong, he’s one of the best coaches in history, but given that his consistency has never given us a tile, I think a new refresh system would be a great rewarded for the UTAH JAZZ

To be real honest, I don’t think the Utah Jazz will ever win a title under these four circumstances. I just don’t see how we can compete with other markets.

Solution Anybody?

4. “The Sloan System”
(We all know that Jerry is a HOF coach, we all know about his system and how he’ll take hard work over talent, but in the 20+ seasons he has never given the city of SLC a championship tile. It’s fair to say that his time is coming to an end. Maybe the “Sloan system needs to retired”. Don’t get me wrong, he’s one of the best coaches in history, but given that his consistency has never given us a tile, I think a new refresh system would be a great rewarded for the UTAH JAZZ

To be real honest, I don’t think the Utah Jazz will ever win a title under these four circumstances. I just don’t see how we can compete with other markets.

Solution Anybody?
My solution is to hope your 3rd post will be better than your 2nd.

THE UTAH JAZZ FUTURE!

How good and/or bad can we be in 1-3 years?

The way I see it is that the Lakers are still alpha, followed by Dallas, Denver, OKC, and Portland. (not in any particular order). All those team are just as good or better then the jazz of right now, but for how long? It seems that those teams are willing to gamble to make them self better. What about us? How can we keep up? How can we put together a championship caliber team?

Answer; WE CAN”T

4 unwritten laws preventing the Jazz from a Ring

1. Free agency is not and will not be do or die for us
(We’ll never sign an all-star, we’ll never become a big market business, and we’ll never be in the same class as the “alphas”)

2. Drafting in mid major
(The Jazz theme seems to be “Consistency”. We all know about the last 20 yrs, and how we’ll never been in the lottery because of our work ethic, and consistency). It’s basically comes down to a hit or miss in the draft for us. I believe our average draft since 2000 is 18. So finding an instant impact player is nearly impossible

(surprisingly we do not have the most “white guys in the league, that honor goes to the pacers, however the reputation around the sport is that Utah is “where big white guys comes to die” I’ve heard that quote over and over before. So it shouldn’t surprise anybody that NBA players aren’t waiting inline to sign with the jazz.

4. “The Sloan System”

Solution Anybody?

Sounds like you're dyin to be a warriors fan. Lots of black guys with a hof coach in a different system with an annual lottery pick. Sounds about right

Sounds like the solution you want is:

Fire Sloan, bomb every season, and draft black people in hopes that black free agents will come along

Sounds like a winner to me.

Here's the solution: realize that winning an NBA championship is not the sole path to success for a NBA franchise.

Look, I've been a Jazz fan for all my life. The Jazz winning a NBA championship would be the happiest moment of my life. I want it very badly to happen.

That being said, a season can be a success without a championship on its own merits. The 2003-2004 season (42-40) was one of the most fun in years, just because of the players and expectations involved. We didn't sniff a title. I also really liked the 2006-2007 season (WCF) , fun again because we exceeded expectations and had some awesome moments. This year was fun as well, with Andrei's month of greatness, Gaines' buzzer beater against the Cavs, and beating the Nuggets without Memo or AK, bringing Fes as an unlikely participant. Again, we didn't get close to a championship, but being a Jazz fan was extremely rewarding.

All of your points are basically correct, but we should also be appreciative of what we have: a perennial "contender", a team which wins most of our games, has a terrific fanbase, and most importantly, we aren't forced to root for Kobe.

Just because we haven't yet won the last game doesn't mean we can't enjoy the victories before.

Without a quality center? Bleak.

Honestly, with or without Boozer, the Jazz have a decent team.
PF - Millsap/AK (or Koufos). Not bad. And when the Jazz lose AK, I'm sure they'll be able to find a quality backup PF.
SF/SG - Matthews, CJ, Honzward, (AK). I'm liking the 3-man rotation the Jazz will have in 1 year. AK sticks around until the deadline while Honzward develops. Not spectacular, but very solid.
PG - Deron. Nobody special behind him. Price probably won't be back after this season. Gaines isn't much of an outside shooter, turns the ball over way too much and can't hit FT's. If I were KOC, Sloan, I'd look for a good combo guard to play 10- mins behind Deron and then slide over to the 2 for 5-10 mins.
C - Fes? Koufos? This is a black hole unless Okur returns.

Last edited:
Huh?

THE UTAH JAZZ FUTURE!

Nomination for worst post in the new era of JazzFanz.

But I am really scratching my head on this one. Utah is "where big white guys comes to die." Like who? Eaton and Tag? They went to Utah to play at the beginning of their careers not just to die at the end. Maybe Tom Chambers fits this description. He was washed up when he put on a Jazz uniform. In reality, however, the Jazz brought a lot of big black guys to Utah to, effectively, die. Such as Olden Polynice, James Donaldson, Mike Brown, Antoine Carr, the second coming of Thurl Bailey, Danny Manning, etc. Also, do interracial players count as white? What about European players? Does Memo, a Turk, count as white? Does is even matter?

SLC is not the sexiest desination for free agents for a lot of reasons. But neither other NBA cities such as Memphis, Oklahoma City, Minniapolis, etc. A good player is a good player. Black, white, or inbetween.

Nomination for worst post in the new era of JazzFanz.

But I am really scratching my head on this one. Utah is "where big white guys comes to die." Like who? Eaton and Tag? They went to Utah to play at the beginning of their careers not just to die at the end. Maybe Tom Chambers fits this description. He was washed up when he put on a Jazz uniform. In reality, however, the Jazz brought a lot of big black guys to Utah to, effectively, die. Such as Olden Polynice, James Donaldson, Mike Brown, Antoine Carr, the second coming of Thurl Bailey, Danny Manning, etc. Also, do interracial players count as white? What about European players? Does Memo, a Turk, count as white? Does is even matter?

SLC is not the sexiest desination for free agents for a lot of reasons. But neither other NBA cities such as Memphis, Oklahoma City, Minniapolis, etc. A good player is a good player. Black, white, or inbetween.

Well said. Besides St. George, where white guys come to die, the post by Tranzz made zero sense.