What's new

Utah Jazz guard Dante Exum has suffered a partially torn patellar tendon in his right knee and is si

Isn't there some kind of injury buyout or something? Basically, if a player is injured most of the season you get money back? Am I smoking?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
If he was deemed out for the season, we might be able to apply for some sort of an exception. But it doesn't matter; I'm pretty sure the deadline is passed where you can add a player who can be used in the playoffs. Or maybe that was for guys who are bought out then added.

I don't think we will shut down Dante for the remainder of the season. Maybe we should. Lonzo had the same ankle injury as Exum within a couple weeks and the Lakers shut him down for the year.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I know DL was a believer but he kinda effed this negotiation up... I was on record saying give a three year deal but make final year 1M guaranteed... could waive and stretch the contract if an injury happens and it doesn’t hurt us in FA much. In that instance could stretch his deal over 5 years with a low $2M cap hit... would clear about $8M... enough to sign a decent FA and retain Favors who is a useful consistent contributor.

Was Dante’s market so crazy someone would make a bananas offer... if so you just walk... bunch of restricted guys got below market deals... sometimes you need to play hardball. If we were guaranteeing all 3 years I would have thought 3/24 would be top offer he got.

I thought all the one year deals were some master plan along with Dante to give us some trade capital and hey maybe Dante will finally turn a corner... but nah.

This sucks da poopy.

He's a 23-yo multimillionaire who won't be able to play for a couple of months. It sucks for any athlete -whether pro or amateur- to be away from the sport, but it's not like he's got any serious condition threatening his life or like he hasn't faced more severe injuries before. And it's not like his professional future (which goes well beyond his basketball career, however short or long it may be) is in jeopardy either.

There's way too much drama in this thread. Wish the guy a speedy recovery and better luck with injuries in the future, and stop moaning and pointing fingers at whoever doesn't claim to be gutted and heartbroken by this. There are real problems in life (I'm sure Exum will face them too, just not because of a freaking tear on his patellar tendon). It's ridiculous.
This. I wish him no ill will and hope he has a speedy recovery. I think people have disappointments that are legitimate and real, and if I felt like I knew Exum on a personal level perhaps would be really distraught, but bad things happen to everyone, and they are happening now all around us to people in our daily interactions, yet we’re generally unaware of. When I blew out my second achilles, I didn’t have an employer dedicating all their resources to my recovery — I had an employer that wanted my *** on the call schedule and making sure I came in for Saturday night. It’s very disappointing, and all of Dante’s work compounds that disappointment, but life is a lot bigger than basketball, and life is a lot bigger than any of our careers.

I think people need to remember that this sport is entertainment. Its about rooting for your team and bonding over the experience.

When I look at Dante I see a young man who is continually fighting an up hill battle so he can help support his team. I want the Jazz to win as much as anyone but I'm not willing to lose part of my compassion and humanity in the process. All things being equal this is one of the most entertaining versions of the Jazz ive had the honor of rooting for.

Prayers go out for Dante and I will continue to cheer for his success while he is a member of the team I unite with.

I feel terrible for Dante. Before I get roasted for it, or labeled a homer, my nephew has had a terrible string of bad luck with injuries the last 30 months so the sympathy hits a little harder.

What bothers me more is that Dante is getting paid more than Randle, who BTW just dropped 45 tonight. I don't blame DL for taking Dante over him in the draft 5 yrs ago, but after all these years, who else now would offer Dante more money than Randle???
Let's bump this in a few more months and talk about what Randle is getting paid.

What bothers me more is that Dante is getting paid more than Randle, who BTW just dropped 45 tonight. I don't blame DL for taking Dante over him in the draft 5 yrs ago, but after all these years, who else now would offer Dante more money than Randle???
The Pelicans lost to the Suns tonight... for the record.

Have you even tried that trade in the trade machine? Do you have any idea about matching salaries? Also, you have no ****ing clue what the offer was, so don't "think" too hard about this.
I have said many times that I and no one else knows what the deal was.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Rubio, Exum, First rounder, matching salaries (Thabo Udoh etc) was what would have gotten the deal done.

Rubio, First rounder, matching salaries (Thabo Udoh, Grayson(?), etc) was the Jazz final offer.

It is known.